SMG to 6MT Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2knob View Post
    I'm in the middle of my conversion and have installed the "Gear Identification Switch". I've seen people ask "how do we connect it" but have yet to see an answer.

The OP wrote "Once the transmission is installed in the car, a now unused SMG connector will hook up to this sensor. In order to mate these connectors, the center plastic tab on the outside of the gear recognition sensor will need to be sliced off with a razor. Again, looking at the connectors side by side, it will be very obvious what needs to be cut off in order for them to work together.", but the available connectors are obviously incompatible. Do we need to pull out a couple wires for the connection and which are they?

Click image for larger version

Name:	smg_connectors_arrows.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	82272

Help would be appreciated, else I might have to start thinking...
    It's been pointed out that the "manual" transmission doesn't have any of the following labeled sensors, so I assume the backup light switch connector gets moved to the gear identification switch.

Name:	transmission_sensors_labled.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	82337

What do most people do with all the irrelevant wiring (bundle it up out of the way, or pull it out)?

Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by 2knob View Post

It's been pointed out that the "manual" transmission doesn't have any of the following labeled sensors, so I assume the backup light switch connector gets moved to the gear identification switch.

Name:	transmission_sensors_labled.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	82337

What do most people do with all the irrelevant wiring (bundle it up out of the way, or pull it out)?

Thanks...
      Irrelevant wiring was bundled up for a while, eventually to be removed entirely. I can't recall exactly what the GPS is connected to. I will be under there again in the near future, I will have to look again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack View Post

Irrelevant wiring was bundled up for a while, eventually to be removed entirely. I can't recall exactly what the GPS is connected to. I will be under there again in the near future, I will have to look again.
        Thanks, I'll probably do the same.

Comment

Question on software and coding once the mechanical swap is done.
          Is it really as simple as getting the ECUworks MSS5x Binary Modiffication tool, loading your original file, selecting "Transmission Swap-Manual" and reloading the file to the car?
          Or is there another file that needs to be be loaded?
          Last edited by gheorghe; 02-02-2021, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gheorghe View Post
            Question on software and coding once the mechanical swap is done.
            Is it really as simple as getting the ECUworks MSS5x Binary Modiffication tool, loading your original file, selecting "Transmission Swap-Manual" and reloading the file to the car?
            Or is there another file that needs to be be loaded?
            You still need to recode the rest of the vehicle with NCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post

You still need to recode the rest of the vehicle with NCS.
              Thank you Martyn!
              Do you offer the whole recoding service as a "turn key" service?
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Neverminded, I just went on your site and see that you do offer this. I will contact you shortly.
              Last edited by gheorghe; 02-02-2021, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gheorghe View Post

Thank you Martyn!
                Do you offer the whole recoding service as a "turn key" service?
                Yup, shoot me a mail if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post

Yup, shoot me a mail if you're interested.
                  I had Martyn code mine when the swap was done, he is super knowledgeable, friendly, patient, and helpful. Everything works as it should and he even coded the shift lights to stay! Would recommend to anyone.

Comment

How does everyone’s car run after the conversion? I can’t help but think, that things are a little less refined after the conversion. Idk...

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post
                      How does everyone’s car run after the conversion? I can’t help but think, that things are a little less refined after the conversion. Idk...
                      If you do it right it looks and drives exactly like a stock 6MT car. I promise you would never be able to tell my car was originally SMG unless you looked up the VIN. Shifts perfect and drives perfect.
                      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

this isn't a Micky Mouse conversion. You're using OE parts as they were intended, placing them where they "should" be. If done properly, it will work properly.

Comment

have you read the DIY? short of doing a manual dash swap, it is virtually identical to a factory 6spd. mine drives fine, cruise control works, backup assist, even the mirror dip function.
                          2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Not if you know how to drive a manual transmission car properly 🤣

Comment

Here's where I screwed up. I'd been collecting a box of parts for the swap. Things like Guibo, CSB, transmission mounts I had gotten a while back. I totally forgotten about the Revshift poly transmission mounts that I got a loooong time ago. Anyways, fast forward to when I dropped the car off. I literally handed my mechanic the few boxes that I had collected without remembering that I probably shouldn't do poly transmission mounts.

So for everyone out there that's considering this swap and NVH is a concern. Please do not do poly transmission mounts.

Fortunately it's only an hour long job and can be easily replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

If you do it right it looks and drives exactly like a stock 6MT car. I promise you would never be able to tell my car was originally SMG unless you looked up the VIN. Shifts perfect and drives perfect.
                                Just curious: what was your motivation to swap, how many miles on your car at the time, did you do the work yourself, and what do you calculate to be your all-in cost?
                                I like my SMG, but am considering this swap before the SMG system fails.
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X