Educate me on Carbon Airbox tunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post
    Question for the CSL intake crowd. I want the easiest CSL intake setup so that I can uninstall and reinstall the box every two years. This is due to CA smog reasons. Would that just be to get the CSL intake and the get an OTS alpha N tune? I also currently have a dinan stage 1 tune on my car and bought it that way. Would that be considered my base tune when flashing the new alpha N tune?
    If you want the easiest solution, buy the Karbonius CF OEM style airbox and pair it with an Eventuri. This will let you retain your MAF setup, no extra tuning needed and most likely can smog without even taking it off.
    Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 01-24-2024, 08:12 PM.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

EthanolTurbo can you provide more details on Karbonius/ eventuri? Aren’t they both air intake systems? Or is the eventuri a flash? would love to run an airbox but my issue is passing smog and don’t want to swap it out every 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by E464life View Post
        EthanolTurbo can you provide more details on Karbonius/ eventuri? Aren’t they both air intake systems? Or is the eventuri a flash? would love to run an airbox but my issue is passing smog and don’t want to swap it out every 2 years.
        Karbonius makes a CF replacement for the stock intake manifold which can be combined with the Eventuri intake to make a MAF style airbox with minimal hassle and works with smog.

Comment

This is great! Guess I just found my next mod! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post
            Question for the CSL intake crowd. I want the easiest CSL intake setup so that I can uninstall and reinstall the box every two years. This is due to CA smog reasons. Would that just be to get the CSL intake and the get an OTS alpha N tune? I also currently have a dinan stage 1 tune on my car and bought it that way. Would that be considered my base tune when flashing the new alpha N tune?
            Buy another DME. Keep your original DME and swap it in when you remove the airbox. Get the OE pins for your new wiring, that way you just need to swap a couple pins. In my case, it’s like 4 pins for the MAF that get swapped, and the rest are either tapped or in vacant slots.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Karbonius makes a CF replacement for the stock intake manifold which can be combined with the Eventuri intake to make a MAF style airbox with minimal hassle and works with smog.
              Has anyone done dyno pulls with this setup on an otherwise stock engine?
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by inline.6 View Post
                Get the OE pins for your new wiring, that way you just need to swap a couple pins. In my case, it’s like 4 pins for the MAF that get swapped, and the rest are either tapped or in vacant slots.
                If you're referring to using the MAF wiring for the IAT sensor, you can also also get a plug-and-play adapter cable to avoid spending time depinning and repinning

Turner/ECS has one, and there are much cheaper ones floating around on fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Has anyone done dyno pulls with this setup on an otherwise stock engine?
                  I don't think so but it should make more power than stock even without a tune. Maybe not a whole lot but it won't lose power.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I don't think so but it should make more power than stock even without a tune. Maybe not a whole lot but it won't lose power.
                    For sure, I kind of want to do an actual video on the subject. I would want to film high quality video and audio of stock, AFE/KN style, and the Karb/Eventuri combo. And then do dyno pulls and measure IAT with each.

My guess is, you'll gain a small amount of power with each, and in the end, you're paying like 2 grand for sound. And for a little bit of weight savings vs the stock parts. Which, is not for nothing.
                    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

For sure, I kind of want to do an actual video on the subject. I would want to film high quality video and audio of stock, AFE/KN style, and the Karb/Eventuri combo. And then do dyno pulls and measure IAT with each.

My guess is, you'll gain a small amount of power with each, and in the end, you're paying like 2 grand for sound. And for a little bit of weight savings vs the stock parts. Which, is not for nothing.
                      I think I have some high quality microphone and audio processing equipment somewhere in my closet you can borrow.

In a way most intakes for this car are for sound; I am not even really sure if anyone has tested just a CSL airbox on a stock engine to see how much that gains vs the non CSL intake manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by inline.6 View Post

Buy another DME. Keep your original DME and swap it in when you remove the airbox. Get the OE pins for your new wiring, that way you just need to swap a couple pins. In my case, it’s like 4 pins for the MAF that get swapped, and the rest are either tapped or in vacant slots.
                        So do I need to buy a brand new DME and have it coded? Can’t buy a used one right? Where are you guys buying brand new DMEs from?

Comment

Originally posted by E464life View Post

So do I need to buy a brand new DME and have it coded? Can’t buy a used one right? Where are you guys buying brand new DMEs from?
                          doesn’t need to be brand new, check the classifieds or eBay. Check the sticker on your DME. Post in the coding section if have more specific questions about it.

Comment

Helpful thread - thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

If you're referring to using the MAF wiring for the IAT sensor, you can also also get a plug-and-play adapter cable to avoid spending time depinning and repinning

Turner/ECS has one, and there are much cheaper ones floating around on fleabay.
                              https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...n-iat-harness/
                              fleabay!!! definitely going to start using that
                              /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Apologies as I am just dipping my toe into the carbon air box world … my understanding is the main difference between alpha n and MAP is the alpha n is not a closed loop system. Is this correct? If so is it not as effective at accommodating changing environments (I.e. driving into high altitude, etc.). Thanks.
                                ‘04 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X