Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff Stuck to Driveshaft!

Hi everyone

I'm having trouble removing my diff from the driveshaft. They seems to be stuck onto each other. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to separate the two

Thanks!
    ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
    ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

You'll probably need to soak that section with PB Blaster for a good while, maybe a swift kick would help too.
    Current: 2003.5 E46 ///M3 6MT - 2019 Ford Raptor 802A
    Past: 2015 F80 ///M3 6MT - 2006 E46 ///M3 6MT - 1999 E36 ///M3 5MT - 1991 E30 ///M3 5MT

Comment

There's a slit in the CV joint on the driveshaft that will give you some leverage to pry it away from the diff. Be gentle though, you don't want to damage the CV joint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200326-143538_Chrome Beta.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2952
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        There's a slit in the CV joint on the driveshaft that will give you some leverage to pry it away from the diff. Be gentle though, you don't want to damage the CV joint.
        Yes, there should be a slit on either side. Agree, pry gently, and evenly. You'll probably want to order a new gasket (there's a thick, paper gasket in between the two. If the old one is stuck then it will probably tear upon removal.

'05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Thanks guys

I did notice that notch, HOWEVER I did not realize I was supposed to tap away from the driveshaft (towards the front end). I was thinking I could get my pry tool (flat head) in between via that notch, not realizing there was still a few mm's of metal in between the notch and driveshaft. That picture was very helpful, and I will definitely replace the gasket

I hope that makes sense haha
          ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
          ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

Working...
          X