M3 headlight bulb keeps flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 headlight bulb keeps flickering

So for whatever gosh darn reason my left headlight keeps flickering, even when I change to a new bulb. I’ve tried searching for answers online but I’ve been left stumped. For context my car is a 2004 M3 SMG. If anyone can give me a helping hand or some advice I would appreciate it.

Could be a ballast, could be an ignitor etc. I've noticed my driver's side flickers ever since I went with Group N motor mounts.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I had the same issues and it eventually went out completely. It my case it was the ballast.
      TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
      Evolve Eventuri
      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

It's the ballast. It regulates and stabilizes current to your lights. The igniter is what will provide the instant large draw but the ballast is what is likely responsible for the flickering after it is lit.

Comment

Okay so question is, where is it lol. I know where it would be on a coupe but mine is a vert and it’s not in the same location as it would be normally. I was always curious why my car didn’t have it behind the driver side headlight

Comment

I was able to find it a few minutes ago, it’s tucked in behind the headlight housing. Why they didn’t leave it in the same spot as the coupe blows my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by erickhoyos View Post
              Why they didn’t leave it in the same spot as the coupe blows my mind.
              It's not in the same place on a vert? That doesn't sound right. Maybe someone had moved it previously. I know some cold air intakes require it to be relocated.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I think 04s had a bad batch of ballasts per a tsb. I replaced both of mine. Had same symptom of flickering with new bulbs and it’s perfect now.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

It's not in the same place on a vert? That doesn't sound right. Maybe someone had moved it previously. I know some cold air intakes require it to be relocated.
                  No, when I got the car 4 years ago it was all original and wasn’t tampered with. Even under my ownership I haven’t really done anything to move around stuff aside from a CSF radiator, coilovers and exhaust.

Comment

there was a very nice DIY of converting to a newer version of xenon on the old forum...

Comment

Always suspect this may add longevity to the xenons: But I have never run with my lights in the Automatic light position. In auto mode if one approaches even the dimmest light during daylight the lights ignite for the temp duration of darkness then turn off. Perhaps multiple times a day. Turn the switch to manual. Why burden the system needlessly IMHO?
                      Last edited by franklin; 05-30-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X