Savage Geese Z4M review video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage Geese Z4M review video

Enough overlap with the e46 M3 that it seemed worth posting.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Cool video, although the fact that "knowledgeable" people still believe this dissapoints me:

Because this is the last car to get this engine, it got all the running updates and changes. Most importantly, the rod bearing issues were solved.
    Said at ~10:20.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Cool video, although the fact that "knowledgeable" people still believe this dissapoints me:

Said at ~10:20.
      Well....... they worded it poorly, but it's not without any truth (year was flat out wrong).

The early cars did have rod bearings that weren't produced to BMW's spec, resulting in premature failure. Since then (and the recall should have taken care of the early cars) we still have rod bearing wear, but we don't have a rod bearing issue.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I subscribe to his channel. He's great. So much better and more detailed than almost any other reviewer. I love that they put the cars up on the hoist. His production value continues to improve all the time. It's not like that engine in the Z4M is any better designed or parted than a 2005 E46 M3 with the same motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Distinct View Post
          It's not like that engine in the Z4M is any better designed or parted than a 2005 E46 M3 with the same motor.
          It's not. My 2008 M Coupe (last 100 or so built) was already into copper at about 55k. There were quite a few others that saw similar results. Bearing wear seems to be worst on the Z4M than the M3 for some reasons.

Comment

I saw his e92 M3 review. It was the last video I ever saw of his.

Comment

Originally posted by Distinct View Post
              I subscribe to his channel. He's great. So much better and more detailed than almost any other reviewer. I love that they put the cars up on the hoist. His production value continues to improve all the time. It's not like that engine in the Z4M is any better designed or parted than a 2005 E46 M3 with the same motor.
              I hang out on this forum because the E46 M3 shares so many parts with the Z4M. With such a small population of Z4M's the online community is a lot smaller and the knowledge on this forum and M3forum.net when it was around is unparalleled.

The only difference between the Z4M S54 and the E46 M3 S54 is the DME. The Z4M S54 has a DME that is close in relation to the S65/S85 DME. We also have a wide band 02 sensor which I am told by Randy at EPIC makes fueling for alphaN a bit easier. Which is good because we can't run the CSL rail and pressure sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by F360C View Post
                The Z4M S54 has a DME that is close in relation to the S65/S85 DME.
                It actually has no relation to the S65/S85 DME. It's closest to the MSV70 (N52 DME)

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

It actually has no relation to the S65/S85 DME. It's closest to the MSV70 (N52 DME)
                  This is the info I got when i asked one of the engineers to explain to me the difference: "The Z4M DME is less complex then the MSS60/65 DME. Those DME’s have two processors. MSS70 uses the same MPC563 processor but only has one processor instead of two. The Z4M DME is similar to MSV70 but that DME uses an MPC555 processor."

My thinking was that it has the same processor as MSS60 so it was closer to that DME then MSV70 but i guess i was wrong.

Comment

Not a bad video, pretty objective unlike many fanboy-ish bits out there. I absolutely love the Z4 MC and will definitely get one at some point.
                    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by F360C View Post

This is the info I got when i asked one of the engineers to explain to me the difference: "The Z4M DME is less complex then the MSS60/65 DME. Those DME’s have two processors. MSS70 uses the same MPC563 processor but only has one processor instead of two. The Z4M DME is similar to MSV70 but that DME uses an MPC555 processor."

My thinking was that it has the same processor as MSS60 so it was closer to that DME then MSV70 but i guess i was wrong.
                      MSV70 is also mpc563 and in either case the software is very different too. If you know how the MSV70 is structured, you can figure out the mss70 quickly. Mss60/65 are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post
                        I saw his e92 M3 review. It was the last video I ever saw of his.
                        I hadn't seen that one and he definitely went hard in the paint at times on that car. Not owing one or ever driving one I can't comment to how accurate his complaints are and as always a good portion of any car review is subjective.

However, I feel overall he does a very good job in his reviews.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Enjoyed the review

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
                            Not a bad video, pretty objective unlike many fanboy-ish bits out there. I absolutely love the Z4 MC and will definitely get one at some point.
                            Well, guess what happened last weekend...

BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

siiiiiick
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                              X