Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant gauge slightly past middle?

Hey guys,

Went on an hour long drive all hwy, and noticed that my coolant gauge went slightly past middle for majority of the drive? I got back into the city and again it stayed mostly past middle but would fluctuate between middle and slightly past. I drive like a grandma in the city and it stays pretty dead center, but when i do take it for some more spirited drives, it sometimes goes up slightly past, does this ever happen to you guys? My water pump was replaced not long ago but my thermostat and ET are still original, my car has around 240k km's.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by jayjpl View Post
    Hey guys,

Went on an hour long drive all hwy, and noticed that my coolant gauge went slightly past middle for majority of the drive? I got back into the city and again it stayed mostly past middle but would fluctuate between middle and slightly past. I drive like a grandma in the city and it stays pretty dead center, but when i do take it for some more spirited drives, it sometimes goes up slightly past, does this ever happen to you guys? My water pump was replaced not long ago but my thermostat and ET are still original, my car has around 240k km's.

Thanks in advance
    Those coolant gauges are notoriously useless. If you want an accurate temperature you can buy an Bluetooth module to plug into you OBDII port like iCarly that can give you a more accurate reading in real-time on your phone. Anything past 210-215 degrees (F), I would probably be concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post

Those coolant gauges are notoriously useless. If you want an accurate temperature you can buy an Bluetooth module to plug into you OBDII port like iCarly that can give you a more accurate reading in real-time on your phone. Anything past 210-215 degrees (F), I would probably be concerned.
      I'll do that next time i get paranoid, thanks!

Comment

Near middle or slightly past is normal, but I don’t think it should get pass the 3/4 mark.

Comment

At 240k km (150k miles) I would preventatively do a cooling system refresh.

Comment

There is a free hidden option on the cluster that u can monitor the temp in C°.

OP, your radiator probably is full of trash either internally or externally

Comment

No need to panic OP, you're fine. The needle can move to 3/4 if the outside temp is above 105F in 25mph traffic with the A/C on.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3CE828D-8158-4F84-8148-49363F1A9D26.jpeg
Views:	519
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	29987
                Click image for larger version

Name:	68EF701F-D29A-4CDC-90C1-3103A1A484F0.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	29988
                TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                Evolve Eventuri
                - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	D3CE828D-8158-4F84-8148-49363F1A9D26.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	29987
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	68EF701F-D29A-4CDC-90C1-3103A1A484F0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	29988
                  Woah 122F sounds terrible. Glad to the the engine can cope with it though!
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    No need to panic OP, you're fine. The needle can move to 3/4 if the outside temp is above 105F in 25mph traffic with the A/C on.
                    That is not the behavior of a normal, properly functioning, like new system.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yeah if anything, slightly below middle is the normal behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjpl View Post
                        Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

You guys have a coolant gauge in your M3?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

That is not the behavior of a normal, properly functioning, like new system.
                          Eh, I'd like to see a test of that - one with like new and one with original - and check the difference. I don't think PA sees the temps that central CA does, so you'd have to make the trip

Comment

Eh, I'd like to see a test of that - one with like new and one with original - and check the difference. I don't think PA sees the temps that central CA does, so you'd have to make the trip
                            I don’t know what part of Cali you’re in, but right now in Fresno it’s 71°, not exactly blistering weather. Even when it’s 100° out the coolant should be able to stay at the mid point.

Comment

I can tell you that in south Florida it gets pretty hot in the summer and mine has never been past the middle. Its been in the mid 90s all week and it stays planted in the middle. I redid my cooling system at 99k miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X