288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Hi guys , looking to fit cams to my M3 over the summer , which would be best for fast road ?

Also what are the pros and cons of each set , and how much am i likely to gain ?

My current spec is , CSL air box and tune , SS V2 headers , SS cats , SS resonated centre and SS LWR back box.

Thanks in advance.

Interested as well.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

I think the 280/272s are a better choice for cars that see any street use.
      -Better power below ~7800 rpm
      -can reuse stock followers, which makes install much easier (and cheaper)
      -smoother idle

I wouldn't be tempted by the 288/280 setup unless I was doing an increase compression ratio and/or stroker and/or high revving (8700+ rpm) build. For a "normal" (full exhaust, CSL intake, etc) bolt on build, 280/272 is the way to go IMO.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Has anyone seen premature wear on stock followers with 280/272? I have 90k miles and the only thing setting me back from cams is the additional follower cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post
          Has anyone seen premature wear on stock followers with 280/272? I have 90k miles and the only thing setting me back from cams is the additional follower cost.
          I'm 40-50,000 miles into my 280/272s, reusing the stock followers, and have seen no increase in wear (assuming wear can be seen in valve shim adjustments). I've only had 2 shims out of spec since I put them in.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I'm 40+k miles into my 280/272 cams, and I reused stock followers on a 135k mile engine at install...so 178k overall. I just had the head completely redone and the followers checked out.
            2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

I'm somewhere between 10 and 15k on my 288/280s with stock followers with no abnormal wear to report.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                I'm somewhere between 10 and 15k on my 288/280s with stock followers with no abnormal wear to report.
                That makes me wonder why schrick says they’re required for the 288/280s but not the 280/272s 🤔

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I'm glad to hear that I can reuse my followers with my Schrick 280/272s. To answer your question on how much is there expected to gain, from various people I've talked to that have done the install (of course there is a ton of variance depending on supporting mods etc), but probably expect between + 15-20 hp on a good tune.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                  2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

I'm very lucky that I have Paul Smith aka Polclaude here to dyno tune it after.

Comment

Originally posted by M3KVU View Post
                      I'm very lucky that I have Paul Smith aka Polclaude here to dyno tune it after.
                      I was going to have him tweak my tune this spring/summer, but doesn't seem like I'm going to go able to get on a dyno this year, at the current rate...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post
                        This owner was not so fortunate when reusing his existing followers:

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

This owner was not so fortunate when reusing his existing followers:

We will see (I asked him in the comments), but I be the actual issue was he didn't move the oil valve over from the stock cams when he installed the cat cams (cat cams, unlike schricks, don't come with it). 800 miles to failure implies a lack of lubrication, to me.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

We will see (I asked him in the comments), but I be the actual issue was he didn't move the oil valve over from the stock cams when he installed the cat cams (cat cams, unlike schricks, don't come with it). 800 miles to failure implies a lack of lubrication, to me.
                            Are these not the valves?

Comment

The stock cams on his car didn’t come fitted with the pressure regulator valves however he did put a set in the cat cams before he installed them. I wonder if the stock rocker arms were worn down already prior to the new cams install based on the high mileage of his car.

Comment

Working...
                              X