No announcement yet.

288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is strange. I wonder if it'd be different if they were schrick variant.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Are these not the valves?

According to that video, he put e39 M5 valves in because BMW doesn't sell the e46 M3 ones separately from the cams. Sooooooo... idk.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

We will see (I asked him in the comments), but I be the actual issue was he didn't move the oil valve over from the stock cams when he installed the cat cams (cat cams, unlike schricks, don't come with it). 800 miles to failure implies a lack of lubrication, to me.
        Those valves are more for ensuring the vanos gets enough sufficient lubrication. The cams bearings are lubricated from the journals, and the lobes are basically lubricated by what's flinging around.

I'm not convinced it was used followers that caused this, but those valves shouldn't be the issue.

Comment

csl has 288/280 cams and uses the same stock followers as every S54 engine. i'm also wondering why schrick recommends their dlc coated followers for their 288/280 cams. i have got some csl cams that i will install as soon i can get an airbox.
          2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
            csl has 288/280 cams and uses the same stock followers as every S54 engine. i'm also wondering why schrick recommends their dlc coated followers for their 288/280 cams.
            CSL cams are 268/264

Comment

there are a lot of different numbers out there. the torque spec pdf file here says 288/280 and these guys here don't know it too? http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8872

i also found in a german forum that they are 288/280 but i will take tomorrow some pictures and maybe someone can compare them to schricks 288/280.
              Last edited by Zekarus; 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

there are a lot of different numbers out there. the torque spec pdf file here says 288/280 and these guys here don't know it too? http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8872
                Every number in that thread is wrong. Standard M3 is 260/260, CSL is 268/264. Refer to the attached document
                Attached Files

Comment

thanks i guess i have some csl camshafts for sale soon 🙃

Comment

Do the CSL camshafts come with the valves?

I’m curious how many of you that have Cat cams installed have the valves installed? Are they an absolutely necessary? Most 05-06 M3’s don’t have the valves on the stock cams so why would they need to be installed with aftermarket cams if they weren’t originally installed?

Comment

Originally posted by racinghart View Post
                      Do the CSL camshafts come with the valves?

I’m curious how many of you that have Cat cams installed have the valves installed? Are they an absolutely necessary? Most 05-06 M3’s don’t have the valves on the stock cams so why would they need to be installed with aftermarket cams if they weren’t originally installed?
                      The job of the valves are to keep vanos lubrication pressure up.

If your cams are machined for the valves, but have no valves installed, then oil will flow freely from the vanos to the cam interior and result in pressure loss
                      If your cams have the valves, oil will not flow through the cam interior until pressure reaches 4.5 bar (65 psi)
                      If your cams are not machined for the valves at all, then oil won't flow through the cam at all, and pressure will be maintained, even above 65 psi.

Presumably on later builds, BMW decided that the car is above 65 psi rarely enough that it doesn't actually matter and they may as well just block any oil from flowing through the cam.

That said, my 05's factory cams had the valve.

Comment

its not clear if it just spat a shim causing the wear or it spat the shim because it wore out. Would need to inspect the other lobes closely to if signs of abnormal wear . Nevertheless its more risky to not replace the followers and you probably have no chance for warranty claim from Schrick or catcams

Comment

csl has 288/280 cams and uses the same stock followers as every S54 engine. i'm also wondering why schrick recommends their dlc coated followers for their 288/280 cams.
                          Sale tactic into thinking you need them or coating reduces friction prolonging wear/less parasitic drag or less chance of their product failing or all thee above.

My thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

We will see (I asked him in the comments), but I be the actual issue was he didn't move the oil valve over from the stock cams when he installed the cat cams (cat cams, unlike schricks, don't come with it). 800 miles to failure implies a lack of lubrication, to me.
                            Agree. DLC coated rockers do not make up the difference between 800 miles and tens of thousands of miles, or more.
                            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

The job of the valves are to keep vanos lubrication pressure up.

If your cams are machined for the valves, but have no valves installed, then oil will flow freely from the vanos to the cam interior and result in pressure loss
                              If your cams have the valves, oil will not flow through the cam interior until pressure reaches 4.5 bar (65 psi)
                              If your cams are not machined for the valves at all, then oil won't flow through the cam at all, and pressure will be maintained, even above 65 psi.

Presumably on later builds, BMW decided that the car is above 65 psi rarely enough that it doesn't actually matter and they may as well just block any oil from flowing through the cam.

That said, my 05's factory cams had the valve.
                              Thanks Terra for the explanation.

Comment

So whats the general verdict of Cat Cams vs Schicks?
                                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X