288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
    So whats the general verdict of Cat Cams vs Schicks?
    Never seen anyone have the issue above on schricks 🤪

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

What gives with basically double the cost for Scricks? Better materials/manufacturing/testing etc?
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

What gives with basically double the cost for Scricks? Better materials/manufacturing/testing etc?
        Ability to flex on CatCams peasants lol
        TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Probably. There must be a reason schricks are OE I’m so many cars.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I was going to have him tweak my tune this spring/summer, but doesn't seem like I'm going to go able to get on a dyno this year, at the current rate...
            Paul is currently on lockdown working on his race car - he is also in love now lol.

Comment

Very interesting replies gents - keep em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by M3KVU View Post

Paul is currently on lockdown working on his race car - he is also in love now lol.
                😂😂

We'll get you sorted out Kev when you decide on what cams to go for. I would personally like to test the 280/272's as most people come to me with the 288/280's for tuning, so I don't have so much data on the 280/272's to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by paulclaude View Post

😂😂

We'll get you sorted out Kev when you decide on what cams to go for. I would personally like to test the 280/272's as most people come to me with the 288/280's for tuning, so I don't have so much data on the 280/272's to compare.
                  I'll be coming to you with 280/272 when I can get enough pennies together and find a local dyno to book out and setup a remote session with you

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post

I'll be coming to you with 280/272 when I can get enough pennies together and find a local dyno to book out and setup a remote session with you
                    Sounds good Staats - give me a shout anytime

Comment

Originally posted by paulclaude View Post

Sounds good Staats - give me a shout anytime
                      Already chatted with you via insta but so glad to see you on here! Once cams/headers are in we'll get a tune going.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

I can confirm the 280 272s are overall better, better average power, more power below 3k rpm. The 288 ties to about 6k then takes over to redline, and makes a smidge more up top from my own testing and cars I've tuned
                        385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                        -CSL airbox ( custom)
                        -280 272 Cat cams
                        -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                        -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                        -TMS pullies
                        -Electric Fan
                        -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Will 280 272 cams on a factory manifold with euro extractors/exhaust/ ss race back box make much more power than a standard "euro" s54 after a dyno tune?

I dont have funds for full supersprint exhaust and CSL intake.
                          Might be able to do cams and tune.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ClevoCapri View Post
                            Will 280 272 cams on a factory manifold with euro extractors/exhaust/ ss race back box make much more power than a standard "euro" s54 after a dyno tune?

Cheers
                            I am also interested in this! I was planning to run the euro header with 280/272, and an airbox down the road. From what I have read, the cams net you somewhere between 15-20hp, with a nicer power curve.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                            2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                              I can confirm the 280 272s are overall better, better average power, more power below 3k rpm. The 288 ties to about 6k then takes over to redline, and makes a smidge more up top from my own testing and cars I've tuned
                              have you done same engine with both cam sets with no other changes other than the appropriate tune for each?

Comment

Originally posted by ClevoCapri View Post

Cheers

I am no expert like Paul and Hassan but through the very long list of reading I did I am lead to believe that each piece of the puzzle (cams, cf airbox, stepped headers & supporting exhaust) will provide performance gains on their own in isolation when tuned for correctly but the gains will be greater when combined. So there is definitely logic to build them up on each other if money doesn't allow the whole gambit in one hit (although buying in one hit and custom tuning once is more cost effective overall - its a large outlay upfront is all)... ie get the cams and tune now and then buy an airbox or exhaust setup when you get the money and re-tune etc making more power at each additional stage.

Comment

Working...
                                X