Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 owners with CSL Airbox: How do you pass smog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, you can always pay the DMV bill first. You won’t get a sticker but you won’t be charged any late fees. This will give you time to pass smog however you decide.
    2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
    Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
    Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
    Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
    Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
    Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
      FWIW, you can always pay the DMV bill first. You won’t get a sticker but you won’t be charged any late fees. This will give you time to pass smog however you decide.
      Yup, I had to do this because my car has been in the paint shop since October
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
        Unfortunately moving out of state isn't an option lol. As much as some of the rules in this state suck and the pitfalls of the state, I like it here enough to reside here.

thank you! Just read through it. Might contact Kassel and see if they can go through my ECU.

Yeah I've tried to find a guy. Unfortunately it's very difficult for cars above MY 2000 nowadays. There are a lot of smog techs that don't really fret the visual as long as the car isn't blatantly modified. SAP maybe, but headers I highly doubt as it's barely visible with the heat shield in place. But yeah guess I'll possibly throw the SAP back on as well. I don't mind reverting the airbox back to stock as it really doesn't seem like that much work.

Anyone know about the cams? Should I be okay on stock ECU or will it run rough / cause potential damage? Fortunately I have the stock spare ECU that came with the car, so might have to turn that into a special smog ECU tuned for the cams.

Just throw on stock airbox, SAP, plug MAF in, and should be good to go?

My other option is to create a Montana LLC 😂. Then I can permanently register my car for a flat fee which is pretty awesome.
        I pretty much have the same mods. Passed NY and CA with exact setup on stock ECU. No issue with 280/272 cams. If you keep CSL air box installed, make sure your flap tps & motor plugs are disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
          My other option is to create a Montana LLC 😂. Then I can permanently register my car for a flat fee which is pretty awesome.
          I split time between 2 states that don’t smog test, and I’m thinking about a Montana LLC... but that’s just greedy... FL is pretty cheap and easy as it is...😂

maw

Comment

Originally posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post

I had similar struggles to you in NY, the CSL DME software couldn't communicate with NY emissions machines either. FWIW, I had my stock DME coded to remove MAF (so I wouldn't get a CEL) and swapped that in temporarily to pass NY emissions with the CSL airbox still installed. Required nearly 500 miles of driving around before everything was in readiness state though, which was a major pain as I drove like a grandma given I didn't want to push things on the MAFless tune. No idea if this approach would work for you in CA, and expect it'll depend largely on the inspector.

I've since removed the CSL airbox, as among other reasons I didn't want to deal with this headache every year.
            I'm in NY and all what I did was get a spare dme with alpha n and used that for state inspection.switch back to CSL after.enjoying CSL noise uninterrupted.

Comment

Originally posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
              My CSL Software works with Arizona emissions testing... Passed several times.
              Same with Oregon. Here there is no visual inspection, hood is never popped, all they do is plug in the computer and make sure the DME is in ready state.
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
              Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

With 8 monitors in the ready state I can pass, but will an aftermarket tune put the dme monitors in a "not ready" state?
                Last edited by Halftim3; 01-17-2021, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Can anyone in the metro ATL area chime in for what they do to pass emissions testing? Does CSL software communicate with the state's machines?
                  /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Outside of nonattainment area in PA. No smog, no care however I still run HJS cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If your smog includes that obd2 port being connected, I believe there is no passing. Sold my Karbonius a couple months ago for this very reason and swapped back to stock headers. Big sad here.

Comment

CA can be done, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-04 12.24.55.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	269852
                        2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                        2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

DAMMIT MAN!!! It's 25 years for metro ATL...I may just have to register it down in the boonies

Actually, I don't think we do smog here in GA...would that change anything?
                          Last edited by ugaexploder; 06-27-2024, 08:10 PM.
                          /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

use one dme with alpha n which should pass and one dme with CSL software.just switch them when you need to pass.

Comment

I got my M3 smog exempted here in CA. No more smog for me.
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Simple, don't bother registering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X