No announcement yet.

DuracellTTU Build: 280/288 Cams, Lang Head, CSL Airbox, Full SS w/ Dyno Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DuracellTTU Build: 280/288 Cams, Lang Head, CSL Airbox, Full SS w/ Dyno Results

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while now, but am just not getting around to it. More and more members are doing CSL airbox with cams in their build, so this should help inform the community on what they can expect performance wise.

So here is my build story... Two years ago I made the decision and commitment that I never wanted to sell my car. It was my first purchase after graduating from college and it was the first car I learned to work on myself. It has a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me and I plan to pass it along to my kids when they are older. This was my daily driver for over 10 years and served me very well. It never left me stranded and I kept it well maintained. As you can imagine, it got a little beat up over the years, regardless of how much I took care of it. Nothing major, just normal wear and tear. After having kids I got an e39 M5 as a new daily driver, so I can put car seats in the rear and have a large enough trunk for strollers, etc. This put the M3 in the garage for a weekend car. My original plan was to just get it resprayed, but that morphed into a dream build project. I'll tell you now, that for the most part, I spared no expense and planned every part of the build down to the nut and bolt. Everything was documented. I coordinated everything with the several part vendors, multiple shops, and tuner.

Here is a summary of the mods:

2005 ZCP w/ 155k miles at the time of the build.

Karbonius CSL Airbox (OEM trumpets) w/ OEM Snorkel and operational flap
    Lang Stage 2.5 head w/ Supertech valves and springs
    Schrick 280/288 cams, 12.5mm lift w/ DLC rockers
    Port exhaust side of head
    SS V1 stepped headers
    SS catted section 1
    SS resonated twin pipe section 2
    SS race mufflers
    Kassel Performance CSL ECU conversion
    Kassel Performance MAP sensor
    TMS underpower pulles, water pump and power steering
    SPAL electric fan conversion
    Turbo Toys V3 exhaust hub
    Custom tune by Paul Claudes
    91 octane pump gas

TLDR version; 340 rwhp / 247 rwtq on a Dynojet w/ 91 octane pump gas

-- Dyno Curves --
    Blue: Mostly stock, aFe Stage 2 intake, Borla V2 midpipes and mufflers
    Red: aFe Stage 2 intake, AP V2 headers, CPI Euro section 1 w/ resonators, OEM section 2, Borla mufflers
    Green: Final tune results from CSL airbox conversion, custom head build, and full SS exhaust (full list above)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Post-CSL Conversion Full Comparison 22_Jun19.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.7 KB ID:	31884

Keep reading if you want to see the build progress.

No compression issues with the bottom end, so it was kept stock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2009.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	31875

At Lang Racing, during open heart surgery:

Click image for larger version  Name:	jf2(1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	31873

Supertech Valves:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1824.JPG Views:	1 Size:	172.8 KB ID:	31877

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1825.JPG Views:	1 Size:	201.4 KB ID:	31878

SS V1 stepped headers installed:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1840.JPG Views:	1 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	31874

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1838.JPG Views:	1 Size:	187.7 KB ID:	31876

SS Headers and Midpipes

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2013.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	31879

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2010.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	31880

Everything coming back together:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2014.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.8 KB ID:	31881

On the dyno for some initial tunes at Lang on his Mustang Dyno:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1969.JPG Views:	1 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	31882

Final tune session with Paul Claudes a DynoJet:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0895(2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	31883
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Update on 5/22/2023

This is my third tune and dyno session, all with different tuners. Details below on that evolution. Had a mix of issues between hesitation under throttle and overall drivability. My session today was with HTE Tuning today at EAS in Anaheim. Couldn't be happier with the results. Drive home was a dream and all the previous issues seem to be resolved! Thanks Hassan for your time and effort.

Also, big shout out to thegenius46m for all the advice on the fuel injectors and Radium setup!

Build Details

- 2005 ZCP with ~159,750 miles
    - 91 octane pump gas (Shell)
    - CSL converted DME w/ CSL software from Kassel Performance, includes H-bridge to support CSL flap in snorkel
    - OEM CSL Snorkel with functional flap
    - OEM CSL Air Intake Temp Sensor in stock location on airbox
    - OEM CSL air filter
    - CSL Airbox w/ carbon fiber trumpets (Karbonius)
    - Dinan high flow throttle bodies
    - OEM air rail modified to fit updated Bosch MAP sensor (P/N 0 261 230 101) in OEM CSL location
    - Bosch MAP sensor has OEM scaling from what I recall with previous tuners
    - Radium Fuel Rail with pulse damper / Radium stainless steel fuel filter / Radium fuel pressure regulator / OEM fuel pump
    - Bosch Injectors, 52lb/550cc @ 3 bar (EV14, P/N 0280158117)
    - Ported Intake on Head
    - Schrick Cams 288/280
    - SuperTech Intake and Exhaust Valves and SuperTech Springs (OEM size and lift)
    - Ported Exhaust on Head
    - Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers (63.5 mm)
    - Supersprint Catted (HJS 200-cell) Section 1
    - Supersprint Resonated Twin-Pipe Section 2
    - Supersprint Race Mufflers
    - Electric Fan Conversion SPAL 2049
    - 3.91 diff gears

SAE Correction Factor

STD Correction Factor

For those who are interested in knowing the details of the different tuners, I have used PCS Tuning, HD Tuning, lastly HTE Tuning. There is a hardware difference between the initial 2 and the last with Hassan. The last tune included Dinan TBs, 550cc injectors, and the Radium fuel system upgrades. Also, each tuner had different opinions on the rev limiter value. I put a marker at 8000 rpm for a more direct comparison versus max values in the legend. Not exactly and apples-to-apples comparison, so I wanted to make that clear. Hassan did note that the HD tune had the knock sensors were "way desensitized" and questioned the how safe it was.

RED: HTE Tuning
    BLUE: HD Tuning
    GREEN: PCS Tuning

SAE Correction Factor

STD Correction Factor
    Last edited by duracellttu; 05-24-2023, 03:43 PM.
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Reserved

Comment

Nice. 👍🏻

That’s pretty much my exact situation with my m3– first real car I bought, 10 years as a DD, now retired from DD use, making it perfect, and and keeping it forever.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          Nice. 👍🏻

That’s pretty much my exact situation with my m3– first real car I bought, 10 years as a DD, now retired from DD use, making it perfect, and and keeping it forever.
          I'll admit that I went through a pretty dark time where I was tired of all the maintenance and paranoia of trying to keep the car perfect. I took a serious look at a bunch of other cars but nothing came to close to the car, especially after customizing it to my exact taste over the years. So happy I decided to keep it. It's way easier keeping it nice when its a weekend warrior.

Comment

Very nice Great info/pictures!
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Certainly a build worthy of its own post, nicely done all around! I am impressed with that relatively flat torque curve. Kudos to you, Paul Claude and everyone else involved.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I was basically on the same boat about 3 years ago. Was a DD for 4 years through college. Bought an X5 and then an E39 M5 to put around in and now the M3 is stupid as a street car lol
                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 BMW ///M3
                Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

Nice build & results...especially for piss water 91. It’s amazing how much difference a couple of octane points can make!

Comment

Very nice, sir. I am looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Jesse
                      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words everybody! This build was a huge effort, hours of research and coordination, but totally worth it. Can't wait to retune with 93 octane to see what else she has.

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                        Very nice, sir. I am looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Jesse
                        I plan to keep this thread updated along the way to include all the little projects I add along the way. The next big project has already been planned, just purchasing parts in phases. Brembo 996 BBK, wheel bearings on all 4 corners, CSL king pins, and new spring/sway bar setup for "flat ride". Stat tuned!

Comment

Sounds good.

May I ask where you are sourcing the CLS king pins? There was some speculation on the old M3F that the CSL kingpins currently for sale are not the same as the pieces that were used in vehicle production. I seem to recall the thread was pretty old, and things may have changed since then. I cannot now find a cached version of the thread to refer to.

Jesse
                          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                            Sounds good.

May I ask where you are sourcing the CLS king pins? There was some speculation on the old M3F that the CSL kingpins currently for sale are not the same as the pieces that were used in vehicle production. I seem to recall the thread was pretty old, and things may have changed since then. I cannot now find a cached version of the thread to refer to.

Jesse
                            I was able to source my CSL king pins from ECS tuning. There is a good explanation of the differences in the thread below.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...rmation-thread

Comment

I'd mail you some proper 93 octane with a solid 10% ethanol in it if I had a hazmat license It's good to see your build come to fruition. 340whp is quite impressive. I the math for you and you've got some parasitic loss mods on so I'll do 12%-15%. At the crank you're making 386-400hp. You're achieving 120-125hp per liter. That's about as efficient as a GT3 RS. Hopefully this makes you feel even better about your build because I'm that number is the GT3 being on at least 93. You're doing real well and have much more to go with just a tune and fuel. Good luck and congratulations on the build.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                              X