X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Replacing E46 Sideview Mirror Glass

Original Author Credit - Cooter
    From - M3Forum

Dino's Add-on - This DIY is more geared towards production date cars up to 07/2004. For later models it's quite a lot simpler. Tilt the glass all the way forward so you can get your fingers behind it, apply even pressure towards you and pop the glass out. You won't need the wire extensions for later model cars. Connect the wires to the correct pins, then simply line up the tabs behind the glass, apply even pressure, and snap it into place. Enjoy your new mirror!

A lot of M3 owners have experienced the dreaded "rusting" that begins to spread throughout the sideview mirror glass. Here's a quick DIY to show you how easy it is to replace it yourself.

For this DIY, I replaced my driver's side glass. First, an example of the "rust" that spreads underneath the glass (top-right of the picture - pardon the dust, pollen season has officially begun):

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	3655

First thing to do is to tilt the mirror up, which will expose a small tab underneath the mirror, circled in red:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	3656

Take a small screwdriver, and place it in the hole. For the driver's side, I pushed the tab to the right - towards the car, which didn't take much pressure at all, later model cars the glass just pops out:

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	3657

This will unlock the retention clips that hold the mirror in place. After you've done this, start to slowly pull the mirror out of it's housing. You'll hear the adhesive begin to pull away as seen here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	3658

My new mirror is a new version, which doesn't have an adhesive back and the electrical contacts have been moved to the other side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	3659

The new mirror will come with an extension cable assembly that will allow you to plug into the existing cable, and move the cable to the other side of the mirror (Wires may need to be purchased separately double check before purchasing):

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	3660
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	3661

After you've connected it, simply align the mirror in place with the clips and push into place. That's it, enjoy your rust-free mirror!

Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	3662
    Last edited by Dino; 03-28-2020, 07:43 PM.

Great and easy DIY. I did this to my car but used the euro glass

Comment

Pictures don't show up for me, but I do remember the original DIY.

Also worth noting that on later build cars, they changed the mechanism. The glass just pops out.

Comment

Correct, I should have added that bit for later cars to not cause any confusion. I have the PDF, when I get home I will update the post with the PDF for people who work better with pictures.

Comment

This a great. Thanks!

Comment

Pictures should now be working for everyone. I also added a little write up on how it's much simpler on later model cars so there is less confusion.

Cheers!

Comment

Both my mirrors are discolored, I will be using this diy. Thanks!
              2004 M3-Silver Grey Metallic/Imola Red-Coupe-6spd
              2002 330Ci-Topaz Blue Metallic/Black-5spd
              Instagram- Norocehcap

Comment

Does your mirror have a slight vibration while driving? I recently replaced mine which also has the new method of attachment. I don’t think it’s as solid as the previous version.
                Current: 2003.5 E46 ///M3 6MT - 2019 Ford Raptor 802A
                Past: 2015 F80 ///M3 6MT - 2006 E46 ///M3 6MT - 1999 E36 ///M3 5MT - 1991 E30 ///M3 5MT

Comment

Awesome, thanks.
                  By any chance would anyone know what this little connector sticking out of the right hand side of my passenger mirror is?
                  Its been like this since I've owned the vehicle and all mirror functions work properly to my knowledge.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_154040.jpg
Views:	5753
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	22846
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Looks like one of the leads for the heating element.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoWagon View Post
                      Does your mirror have a slight vibration while driving? I recently replaced mine which also has the new method of attachment. I don’t think it’s as solid as the previous version.
                      Try tightening the screws on the mirror base.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                      Evolve Eventuri
                      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

Try tightening the screws on the mirror base.
                        Awesome, thanks for that. I’ll try it out!
                        Current: 2003.5 E46 ///M3 6MT - 2019 Ford Raptor 802A
                        Past: 2015 F80 ///M3 6MT - 2006 E46 ///M3 6MT - 1999 E36 ///M3 5MT - 1991 E30 ///M3 5MT

Comment

Working...
                        X