Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI: The Harbor Freight replacement jack stands also fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: The Harbor Freight replacement jack stands also fail.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Sooooo like.

do I replace my jack stands or nah

Comment

Yep, looks like my stands do not fall under recall based on their #, but do I trust them now? :-)

Comment

I'd say Harbor Freight is not a great choice for anything that's between you and being crushed alive. But that's just me...
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
          I'd say Harbor Freight is not a great choice for anything that's between you and being crushed alive. But that's just me...
          4 harbor freight jack stands and 1 harbor freight jack for 6+ years and zero issues. They arent made by HF... they're made by some company that supplies them... you'll probably see the same exact jackstand for sale in a different color with a different label somewhere else
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

4 harbor freight jack stands and 1 harbor freight jack for 6+ years and zero issues. They arent made by HF... they're made by some company that supplies them... you'll probably see the same exact jackstand for sale in a different color with a different label somewhere else
            I've had them too and I've never had an issue either. But when you have an issue, it's kind of too late at that point, isn't it?
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I've had them too and I've never had an issue either. But when you have an issue, it's kind of too late at that point, isn't it?
              No it isn't because whether $20 a pair or $400 a pair, I never crawl under a car sitting only on 4 jack stands. I always leave a jack either under front or rear jack points and also leave wheels under the car
              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I would only ever buy something I intended to throw out after use from harbor freight... and would never entrust my life to them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

The fallacy here is if you did have an issue, you wouldn't be around to report it lol. Plus that style of stand (regardless of who makes them) plain scares me for fear of failure exactly how that last one failed, especially if it was shock loaded by mistake. Just get some escos.

Comment

May I suggest some quality USA made jack stands from

US Jack: http://usjack.com/images/pdfs/Garage_Stands_19_Web.pdf

Hein-Werner: http://heinwerner-automotive.com/Pro...ory/Stands/617
                    MVP Track Time

Comment

does this recall involve the 3 ton orange/white stands? ive had them for a good 10yrs.. not sure if it involves them, there are no tags or skew numbers on the stands...

Comment

All the Pittsburg jack stands at my school got thrown away about 6 months ago because they were breaking and bending from holding up simple frames of cars. Granted these were used often. The Snap On ones were the stands we used. It was the exact opposite with the jacks themselves. All the Snap Ons leaked and cost a lot to get rebuilt. This happened annually. Not one of the old Pittsburgs had been rebuilt and were the only ones working. Gotta pick and choose your Harbor Freight tools wisely. I'm not sure I'd ever trust their engine support bar again because of how cheap it seemed. Every rod bearing DIY said use that one but next time, no thanks.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I use these:

Pin-style, 3-legs (helps with slightly uneven ground) and a nice fat circular load pad on top. I've had my M3 on these since COVID hit (early March).

Highly recommend these over a ratchet style stand. They are a little more work to set the height, but zero fear of sudden drops...
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Should have added. These come in 2 main configurations:

ESCO 10498 - these are "standard height". 13" min to 21" max height

ESCO 10499 - these are "low profile". 11" min to 17" max height

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                              I use these:

Pin-style, 3-legs (helps with slightly uneven ground) and a nice fat circular load pad on top. I've had my M3 on these since COVID hit (early March).

Highly recommend these over a ratchet style stand. They are a little more work to set the height, but zero fear of sudden drops...
                              +1 on these. Also, as a lawyer, I can literally smell the wrongful death lawsuits from here.
                              Last edited by Fresh1179; 06-14-2020, 12:24 PM.
                              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Working...
                              X