“Switch Chain Grip“....stalling out at lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Switch Chain Grip“....stalling out at lights

Took the car out for a drive and sitting in traffic the car would die coming to a stop. No CELs, idle would furthermore drop with ac engaged

was convinced it was the ICV, until i scanned w Peake tool. Came back to “switch chain grip”. Since m3forum has been down, I’m trying to piece together from other forums and other bmw models to see what exactly the issue is.

from what i gather it is the clutch switch? Problem is I’m coming up with conflicting part numbers and Year specific part numbers. My car is a 2005, but the clutch switch on ECS says made for only 2001

can anyone verify any of this? TIA

I had this for a while after I did my SMG->6MT swap -- turns out I had wired the clutch switch wrong. So this is likely your clutch switch. I would go with whatever part realoem specifies for your VIN, ECS can have incomplete fitment info.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
      I had this for a while after I did my SMG->6MT swap -- turns out I had wired the clutch switch wrong. So this is likely your clutch switch. I would go with whatever part realoem specifies for your VIN, ECS can have incomplete fitment info.
      Yeah I’ve been on real oem for like an hour cross referencing my VIN but the part numbers are conflicting

I thought this was the right one for my 2005 (and don’t really see why it would be any diff on a 2001), but the pic attached says it only works with 2001

Attached Files

Comment

That absolutely looks like the wrong part. Hold on.

I'm pretty sure that this is what you want:

Comment

That absolutely looks like the wrong part. Hold on.

I'm pretty sure that this is what you want:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...le-61319122700
          thanks for the link. I think ecs site was throwing me for a loop bc every time i punched that part number, this would come up (which says it doesn’t fit)....,but realoem supercedes that number.

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post

thanks for the link. I think ecs site was throwing me for a loop bc every time i punched that part number, this would come up (which says it doesn’t fit)....,but realoem supercedes that number.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/35426876898/
            That part is what you need

Comment

Originally posted by ATS///Antone View Post

That part is what you need
              yup its what i ordered. hoping this solves the issue. thanks for the help guys.

It just seems odd that a switch like this would potentially cause low idling issues (enough for the car to stall in traffic). I would imagine all this switch does is allow you to depress the clutch to start the vehicle, no?
              Last edited by antknee; 06-18-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Well the clutch switch did the trick! Kept getting a stored code that didn’t trigger any CEL....but after the 5 minute switch swap, no more stalling and scanned the car after an hour drive and no stored codes. $50 win!

Comment

Hey I'm having the same issues you did after my SMG conversion, where did you get the information on the clutch switch wiring, I will say that the car ran fine until I had it reflashed with 6MT software.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack View Post

Hey I'm having the same issues you did after my SMG conversion, where did you get the information on the clutch switch wiring, I will say that the car ran fine until I had it reflashed with 6MT software.
                    Back on the old forum, I took the information in the DIY thread (which I'd had trouble interpreting correctly) and clarified them through asking questions to people like terra. I had made a couple of mistakes in following the DIY's wiring, but the biggest problem (and simplest) was that I had left the SMG DME plugged in to the wiring harness which causes problems with the wiring if you've converted your actual DME to run 6MT software. So, first suggestion, make sure your SMG DME is completely unplugged (might as well remove it). If that doesn't help, then you need to look closely at your wiring, and the wiring instructions in the DIY, and ask questions about absolutely anything that you're not 100% sure about. Also, have you installed a 6MT gear position sensor on your transmission? Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Comment

My car is doing the same thing, stalling coming to a light. It's ridiculously annoying. My car was originally an SMG, but I'm not sure who did the conversation - I bought it like that. I also have no clutch switch, i.e. I don't need to push the clutch to start the car. Is it really possible the clutch switch could cause the issues? Where is the clutch switch? Is there a wiring guide somewhere for it?

Thanks!!
                      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
                        My car is doing the same thing, stalling coming to a light. It's ridiculously annoying. My car was originally an SMG, but I'm not sure who did the conversation - I bought it like that. I also have no clutch switch, i.e. I don't need to push the clutch to start the car. Is it really possible the clutch switch could cause the issues? Where is the clutch switch? Is there a wiring guide somewhere for it?

Thanks!!
                        the clutch switch is really easy to get to. Just below the steering wheel attached to the clutch pedal. My car was not an SMG conversion, but is a 6-speed....and it 100% corrected my stalling issues when i swapped out the clutch switch.

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post

the clutch switch is really easy to get to. Just below the steering wheel attached to the clutch pedal. My car was not an SMG conversion, but is a 6-speed....and it 100% corrected my stalling issues when i swapped out the clutch switch.
                          My clutch master cyl does not have a place for the switch, unfortunately. Whoever converted my car used a master cyl from another bmw, looks and fits the e46m3, but no place for the clutch switch to connect. I'm gonna buy all the misc parts and get it wired correctly and hopefully that fixes it. Thanks for the feedback.
                          E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

My clutch master cyl does not have a place for the switch, unfortunately. Whoever converted my car used a master cyl from another bmw, looks and fits the e46m3, but no place for the clutch switch to connect. I'm gonna buy all the misc parts and get it wired correctly and hopefully that fixes it. Thanks for the feedback.
                            In that case you can install the 2001 style switches

Comment

I'll have to look at this. I noticed the code popping up lately and the car sometimes stalls out at lights. I'm sure I have new chip buried in my spare parts somewhere.
                              IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Working...
                              X