Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by terra View Post

In that case you can install the 2001 style switches
    Oh snap, thanks Terra! I searched realoem and sure enough, I found it. After a bit of digging there are 3 part numbers:

61319122700 (US post 2001/09) - clutch switch module, 4 PINS connected (12V/GND/signal to DME via gear indicator switch + signal to EWS) - located on clutch cylinder
    61318363710 (US pre 2001/09) - 3 PINS connected (12V/GND/signal to DME via gear indicator switch)
    61318381612 (US pre 2001/09) - clutch switch, acts as STARTLOCK, 3 PIN(12V/GND/signal to EWS module)

I think as far as I can tell all the sensor outputs are the same, just the post 2001 700 module is an all-in-one.

So for pre 2001 or somebody that used a pre-2001 clutch master cyl like in my car you'll need 710 and 612 plus 61116911072 which is a Y connector that plugs into both 710 and 612 modules above. (blue = cruise, red/purple = startlock)

Here is a picture of a Z3M (MSS5x), you can see the two switches clearly (red on the left of the pedal, purple on the right)
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

So actually for the E46 M3 you'll want two of the purple switches (61318363710), otherwise wire as instructed. RealOEM has that mislabeled. One will still be for cruise, the other will still be for start lock. Difference is the blue one grounds the output, the purple one pulls it high.

And I suppose you don't *really* need the startlock switch if that's already coded off.

Comment

So actually for the E46 M3 you'll want two of the purple switches (61318363710), otherwise wire as instructed. RealOEM has that mislabeled. One will still be for cruise, the other will still be for start lock. Difference is the blue one grounds the output, the purple one pulls it high.

And I suppose you don't *really* need the startlock switch if that's already coded off.
        Gotcha, thanks! I figured it was coded out since my car starts. Do you know if the DME still uses the startlock switch for idling purposes though even if its coded out or do I need to code the car to turn the switch back on?

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Gotcha, thanks! I figured it was coded out since my car starts. Do you know if the DME still uses the startlock switch for idling purposes though even if its coded out or do I need to code the car to turn the switch back on?
          Nah, the startlock switch is only used for the startlock function. Euro M3s don't even have that switch at all.

Idling stuff is all with the cruise control switch.

Comment

Nah, the startlock switch is only used for the startlock function. Euro M3s don't even have that switch at all.

Idling stuff is all with the cruise control switch.
            lol because that makes sense. Okay, I'll just buy one and wire up the cruise control switch and see what's what. Thanks Terra!

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post

thanks for the link. I think ecs site was throwing me for a loop bc every time i punched that part number, this would come up (which says it doesn’t fit)....,but realoem supercedes that number.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/35426876898/
              Originally posted by ATS///Antone View Post

That part is what you need

yup its what i ordered. hoping this solves the issue. thanks for the help guys.

It just seems odd that a switch like this would potentially cause low idling issues (enough for the car to stall in traffic). I would imagine all this switch does is allow you to depress the clutch to start the vehicle, no?
              Actually to be clear, BMW fucked up on this. That superseded part is the non-M switch, it won't work on an E46 M3. If you can still find it, 61319122700 is the one you want. Otherwise 61319122701 would likely work (this is the Euro M3 switch), but it's unclear what's different compared to the US switch asides for the color. My suspicion would be the green one doesn't have a functioning startlock circuit.

Worst case you could use the 2001 style switches as mentioned above.

Comment

Actually to be clear, BMW fucked up on this. That superseded part is the non-M switch, it won't work on an E46 M3. If you can still find it, 61319122700 is the one you want. Otherwise 61319122701 would likely work (this is the Euro M3 switch), but it's unclear what's different compared to the US switch asides for the color. My suspicion would be the green one doesn't have a functioning startlock circuit.

Worst case you could use the 2001 style switches as mentioned above.

you are totally right with this! My switch chain grip code just came back with the same stalling issues in neutral. I called up my buddy who has done numerous smg to 6spd swaps and he informed me that the correct switch i need is part number 61319122700 which i just ordered from FCP. He told me not to use the superseded part number that realoem or Ecstuning uses bc it is in fact wrong! He made this mistake as well and has 4-5 paperweight switches that didn’t work

i noticed when i replaced my switch, it was brown. The replacement one i ordered was black but fit. I believe the switch ecs sent me was for non-M e46s bc it was black.

moral of the story, pull your switch and check the color. If it’s brown replace it w the part number 61319122700....do not buy the part number that is superseded by

hope this helps some of you with this issue

Attached Files

Comment

I've used 61319122701 multiple times without issue.

Don't forget you can also confirm correct operation of the switch in INPA by going to E46 > Engine > MSS54 for S54 > Read Status > Digital 1 > Status Grip Switch. The status should be off with the clutch out, and on with the clutch in.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                    I've used 61319122701 multiple times without issue.

Don't forget you can also confirm correct operation of the switch in INPA by going to E46 > Engine > MSS54 for S54 > Read Status > Digital 1 > Status Grip Switch. The status should be off with the clutch out, and on with the clutch in.
                    Excellent tidbit of knowledge, thank you. I'm still waiting on FCPEuro and Fedex to deliver the new sensor, unfortunately. FCP was back-ordered on the sensor and I'm about as far as possible away from FCP's headquarters without being in Alaska. However, FedEx says it will be delivered tomorrow, so as long as the fires in the PWN don't come back (I had to evacuate last week), I should be able to get this installed in the next few days.

Comment

Update: part number 61319122700 (brown switch) did the trick. No more stored codes for switch chain grip and no more stalling at lights in neutral.

Comment

Update: part number 61319122700 (brown switch) did the trick. No more stored codes for switch chain grip and no more stalling at lights in neutral.
                        FedEx was supposed to drop off my cruise switch today but since they rarely actually come the day the tracking says I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow. I really hope this does the trick for me, the whole stalling constantly is infuriating.

Comment

FedEx was supposed to drop off my cruise switch today but since they rarely actually come the day the tracking says I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow. I really hope this does the trick for me, the whole stalling constantly is infuriating.
                          good luck man. I'm sure whomever did your swap put the wrong switch in.

Comment

good luck man. I'm sure whomever did your swap put the wrong switch in.
                            My problem is I don't have a switch at all. They just neglected to put one in in the first place.

Comment

Do you already have the wiring and coding figured out? (I'm assuming you're not retrofitting the gear position sensor to your transmission so you'll have to do a minor DME edit)

Comment

Do you already have the wiring and coding figured out? (I'm assuming you're not retrofitting the gear position sensor to your transmission so you'll have to do a minor DME edit)
                                I have not figured that out yet. As far as I can tell, there is no wiring done - but after reading through the smg -> 6mt how-to it doesn't look all that difficult (wires into the brake switch and the brown wire on the smg harness if I'm not mistaken). As for the gear position sensor, I doubt I have that either, but I'm not totally sure. The right mirror does not tilt down when you put the car in reverse and the PDC sensors don't appear working either, so I'm assuming I don't have the sensor. I don't get any check engine lights however, and my smg dme is unplugged. Thoughts on where to look?

Comment

Working...
                                X