Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ownership Experience of Old BMWs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by dannyzabolotny View Post

    It’s something that plagued every BMW 5- and 7-series from the E34/E32 generation through the E39/E38 generation. The plastic sheathing around the seat cable expands over time and forces the drive cable out of the motor, often on only one side, causing the seat to twist when it’s adjusted. It’s a super annoying problem but is thankfully fairly easy (if not tedious) to repair. You pull the seat out, get the cables out of the motors, cut the sheathing a bit, re-synchronize the seat adjustments, and put it all back together. It affects the seat back tilt and the seat height adjustment.

    I’ve fixed more of these than I can count, you 3-series people are lucky you don’t have to deal with that nonsense. Thankfully, BMW eliminated that setup with the E60 and onwards.
    Yep, that's the exact issue-- the e38 and e39 both suffer it.

    2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    100 Series Land Cruiser

    Comment


      paid my photographer fee to list the F30 on C&B, so this is really happening.

      I've been on the hunt for an E39 the last few weeks but all leads have come up empty, and that previously mentioned black one in AZ went for more money than I wanted to pay.

      I've honed in my search to 2001-2003 530 5sp with sport package in either blue or green. I'm open to 540s or even M5s if the right opportunity comes up. If anyone comes across something like this for sale, let me know. Have cash, will travel!

      [email protected]

      Comment


        I love my car (01 M3), but sometimes it feels like death by a thousand papercuts. For example I had to replace the window regulator (pita job) and once everything was back together the door lock refused to open. I’m almost positive it was something I messed up while replacing the regulator. It’s just so frustrating, however a quick look of the LSB parked in my garage (almost) makes up for it.

        that said, I don’t think this is a BMW thing so much as it is an old car thing that comes with the territory.

        Comment


          Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
          I also have E34 M5, and parts for that puppy are a LOT harder to come by. Suspension parts are non-existent, lots of original parts are NLA, especially engine/gearbox parts. And don't even get me started on interior or any of the cosmetic stuff - gone, none available. And since these are sooo rare, finding anything second-hand is also a chore, especially in good condition.
          Can you expand on what the E34 M5 is like to drive compared to the others? I've never driven one, but always coveted growing up. I saw this the other day just browsing, and I can't get it out of my head. It's a ton of money, and asking way more than its worth. But I could see myself spending $60K for something like this. This specific car is everything I would want in one. I am not in the position to do so at this moment, so this is all talk haha.



          2006 E46 M3 Interlagos Blue ZCP Slicktop
          Build Thread: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...6-m3-ownership

          Comment


            Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

            Can you expand on what the E34 M5 is like to drive compared to the others? I've never driven one, but always coveted growing up. I saw this the other day just browsing, and I can't get it out of my head. It's a ton of money, and asking way more than its worth. But I could see myself spending $60K for something like this. This specific car is everything I would want in one. I am not in the position to do so at this moment, so this is all talk haha.


            They are great cars - but not a $75k car experience, if you know what I mean? However, the car you linked to is a Final Evo, 3.8 liter car with REALLY rare interior and very cool factory options like unobtainium brakes and suspension, so perhaps it is "worth" this much.

            S38 is a very high-rev motor, and it only gets up in power once you are winding it. So this makes for a very unique driving experience, but its definitely not for today's streets. But if you get it to where it shines - that car is a jewel. Chassis is soft by modern standards, and steering is vague, but drivetrain is fantastic and it makes up for all the flaws. It is an event to drive the car every time.

            The built quality is top notch, something you expect from a hand-built car. Materials are also fantastic, though most cars need a light resto at this point. Overall - I think this is one of my favorite "older" BMWs, and much better driving experience than, say E30 M3 - which everyone is raving about. So there is that... Mine is a keeper, but I got it for much less than $75k.

            Last edited by TexaZ3; 09-23-2026, 05:49 AM.
            BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

            Comment


              Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

              They are great cars - but not a $75k car experience, if you know what I mean? However, the car you linked to is a Final Evo, 3.8 liter car with REALLY rare interior and very cool factory options like unabtainium brakes and suspension, so perhaps it is "worth" this much.

              S38 is a very high-rev motor, and it only gets up in power once you are winding it. So this makes for a very unique driving experience, but its definitely not for today's streets. But if you get it to where it shines - that car is a jewel. Chassis is soft by modern standards, and steering is vague, but drivetrain is fantastic and it makes up for all the flaws. It is an event to drive the car every time.

              The built quality is top notch, something you expect from a hand-built car. Materials are also fantastic, though most cars need a light resto at this point. Overall - I think this is one of my favorite "older" BMWs, and much better driving experience than, say E30 M3 - which everyone is raving about. So there is that... Mine is a keeper, but I got it for much less than $75k.
              Thank you. That's incredibly insightful. Yeah I can understand why someone could make an argument of why that particular one is worth $75K. But, the mileage hurts it I think, at least a bit. That, and it's only been driven 400 miles in the last 13 years. The current owner has spent a ton of money over the last 6 years getting it up to snuff, which I highly value. But then he's only driven it 300 miles, so who knows what else it might need as someone actually drives the thing, which I would certainly do.

              Man yours is beautiful. Here is another question, which do you prefer, e39 or e34?

              2006 E46 M3 Interlagos Blue ZCP Slicktop
              Build Thread: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...6-m3-ownership

              Comment


                Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

                Thank you. That's incredibly insightful. Yeah I can understand why someone could make an argument of why that particular one is worth $75K. But, the mileage hurts it I think, at least a bit. That, and it's only been driven 400 miles in the last 13 years. The current owner has spent a ton of money over the last 6 years getting it up to snuff, which I highly value. But then he's only driven it 300 miles, so who knows what else it might need as someone actually drives the thing, which I would certainly do.

                Man yours is beautiful. Here is another question, which do you prefer, e39 or e34?
                That's a bit of an unfair question - E39 is vastly superior in almost every measurable way. Its a way less "old school", and still feels modern in so many ways - while E34M is definitely does not feel like a modern car.
                But its a car which was built with a completely different approach in mind - its more polished, smooth, torquey down low, has better chassis, more creature comforts, modern electronics. It does lack the rawness of E34, for better or for worse. If I were picking just one M5, it would be E39 hands down.
                BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

                Comment


                  Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

                  They are great cars - but not a $75k car experience, if you know what I mean? However, the car you linked to is a Final Evo, 3.8 liter car with REALLY rare interior and very cool factory options like unobtainium brakes and suspension, so perhaps it is "worth" this much.

                  S38 is a very high-rev motor, and it only gets up in power once you are winding it. So this makes for a very unique driving experience, but its definitely not for today's streets. But if you get it to where it shines - that car is a jewel. Chassis is soft by modern standards, and steering is vague, but drivetrain is fantastic and it makes up for all the flaws. It is an event to drive the car every time.

                  The built quality is top notch, something you expect from a hand-built car. Materials are also fantastic, though most cars need a light resto at this point. Overall - I think this is one of my favorite "older" BMWs, and much better driving experience than, say E30 M3 - which everyone is raving about. So there is that... Mine is a keeper, but I got it for much less than $75k.
                  Not sure why, but this post makes me sad. Feels like I've missed my window, and now will never have one.

                  2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  100 Series Land Cruiser

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Obioban View Post

                    Not sure why, but this post makes me sad. Feels like I've missed my window, and now will never have one.
                    E34Ms are still out there and I'd say way underappreciated, still. Even on BaT you can still snag good one for under $30-35k, which is a steal, compared to what E30 M3s are going for - and I repeat - they are better driving cars than E30. Most of the E34Ms will need work these days, but mechanical parts are still available, for the most part, so one could easily (perhaps, not cheaply) keep one on the road. Interiors are absolutely gorgeous on E34s.

                    Some eye-candy for you. I fully restored mine.

















                    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

                      That's a bit of an unfair question - E39 is vastly superior in almost every measurable way. Its a way less "old school", and still feels modern in so many ways - while E34M is definitely does not feel like a modern car.
                      But its a car which was built with a completely different approach in mind - its more polished, smooth, torquey down low, has better chassis, more creature comforts, modern electronics. It does lack the rawness of E34, for better or for worse. If I were picking just one M5, it would be E39 hands down.
                      That's just the type of answer I was fishing for haha. When you start playing the mental game of spending that kind of money on an M5, that also brings really nice e39's and e60's into the fold. So the question then becomes, what do I actually want?
                      2006 E46 M3 Interlagos Blue ZCP Slicktop
                      Build Thread: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...6-m3-ownership

                      Comment


                        Not e60

                        2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        100 Series Land Cruiser

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

                          That's just the type of answer I was fishing for haha. When you start playing the mental game of spending that kind of money on an M5, that also brings really nice e39's and e60's into the fold. So the question then becomes, what do I actually want?
                          Short answer is you want all three. The best of all engines - straight six S38, V8 S62, and a V10 S85.
                          The long answer requires a lot of soul searching, so I will leave it for you to answer, ha! I chose the easy way.



                          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                            Not e60
                            Hahah. I would love one for that engine. And you did say that it surprised you very much on the way the car was (dynamically?), akin to the e46. But I suspect for the reasons you say "not" might be the same reasons I have my reservations.

                            Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

                            Short answer is you want all three. The best of all engines - straight six S38, V8 S62, and a V10 S85.
                            The long answer requires a lot of soul searching, so I will leave it for you to answer, ha! I chose the easy way.


                            I am a weirdo. The idea of multiple cars stresses me out a lot. I want to drive the best car at all times. I would pick up groceries in a Lambo if that's what that is. As I finish up my e46, finally, that's what that car is supposed to be to me. So any additional "me" car(s) need to have some purpose. Otherwise, I can't see myself driving more than just one. Buying 3 M5's would be great, but within a year for sure 2 of them will have to go.

                            2006 E46 M3 Interlagos Blue ZCP Slicktop
                            Build Thread: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...6-m3-ownership

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

                              Hahah. I would love one for that engine. And you did say that it surprised you very much on the way the car was (dynamically?), akin to the e46. But I suspect for the reasons you say "not" might be the same reasons I have my reservations.



                              I am a weirdo. The idea of multiple cars stresses me out a lot. I want to drive the best car at all times. I would pick up groceries in a Lambo if that's what that is. As I finish up my e46, finally, that's what that car is supposed to be to me. So any additional "me" car(s) need to have some purpose. Otherwise, I can't see myself driving more than just one. Buying 3 M5's would be great, but within a year for sure 2 of them will have to go.
                              Nah, they are like different suits or shoes you wear for different occasions - I can't imagine owning just one pair. Each one is different and better at certain things than others. Same with M3's. I have 10+ cars and not once I thought about selling something just because its not the best at something or because I don't drive every day. They all have something special that you will miss once its gone. Over the last 25 years I sold two cars, only to replace both with better versions of the same cars within a year.
                              Last edited by TexaZ3; 09-23-2026, 12:26 PM.
                              BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

                                Nah, they are like different suits or shoes you wear for different occasions - I can't imagine owning just one pair. Each one is different and better at certain things than others. Same with M3's. I have 10+ cars and not once I thought about selling something just because its not the best at something or because I don't drive every day. They all have something special that you will miss once its gone. Over the last 25 years I sold two cars, only to replace both with better versions of the same cars within a year.
                                I don't miss my e9x or e60 at all. I really miss all 3 of the e39s I had.

                                ... and about twice a year miss the e36 M3's I had.

                                2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                                100 Series Land Cruiser

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X