Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: CSL Trunk Install

Hi all,

I'm 90% done with my CSL trunk install, so I thought I'd write up a DIY with some installation tips. Since they became available again, the CSL trunk is a popular mod on E46 M3s. However, the information out there currently is somewhat vague on what you actually need. Hopefully this clears things up.

Sourcing a CSL trunk is a bit of a challenge in itself. For Americans, the main vendors are ECS Tuning and Schmiedmann. I believe US BMW dealers are now prohibited from ordering CSL trunks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_185032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.5 KB ID:	36268

Once you have it, bring the trunk to a trusted paint shop. I got mine painted at Maaco in Springfield, VA. That particular Maaco is owned by a BMW enthusiast, and has a great reputation in the local BMW community. They painted my trunk with PPG paint for a great price. I brought my fuel door in with the trunk and had them paint match it.

Installation Process

To install the trunk, start by removing the factory tool kit that is held in by two screws. These screws are covered in felt and somewhat hidden. Twist the connector at the top sideways to get it free.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200606_234441.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	36269
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200606_234529.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	36271
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200606_234553.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	36272

Then, pop off all the plastic rivets holding the trunk liner on with a trim tool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200606_234739.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	36273

Once you have the liner off and are looking at the inside of the trunk, remove the plastic covers on top of the trunk latch, and lock cylinder. The latch cover just snaps in, while the lock cylinder cover has a few bolts holding it on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_185605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	36274

Disconnect all the electrical connectors
    • Both tail lamps
    • License plate lamp
    • Trunk latch
    • Lock cylinder
    Then, use a trim tool to pop off the rubber cover for the wiring harness. Starting from the driver's side, slowly begin pulling the harness out of the trunk. Pay attention to the right side too, and make sure the harness is not getting caught anywhere. Be very careful, and pull in and out several times if the wiring harness gets stuck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_184958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	36275

Once the harness is completely free of the trunk, disconnect the top of both trunk struts with a small flathead screwdriver. Carefully set these down on the outer taillights, be careful not to let them swing around and damage the paint on the rear quarter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_185023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	36276

Remove both inner tail lights by pulling the tab towards you. You'll hear a snap, and the back of the lamp (black piece) will become free. The exterior housing (red translucent piece) is held in place by 1 10mm nut.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_185631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	36277

Unbolt the trunk latch, and disconnect the white connector on the back. These can be undone by putting a small screwdriver and popping the top off. (Picture is of a different location, but same idea)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_185109.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.3 KB ID:	36278

At this point, there should be nothing connecting the trunk and car, except for the 4 bolts holding the trunk on. Grab 2 friends and have them each hold one side of the trunk. Make sure they each put one hand where the sharp corner of the trunk is. You do not want this part falling and denting your rear quarter. Watch everybody's fingers and make sure they do not get caught in the hinge. Not a bad idea to grab some blankets and put them over your rear window and rear quarters. Then, unbolt the four torx bolts holding the trunk on, and remove the original trunk.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_190021 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	36280

Observe the wear marks in the paint on the hinges, and install the CSL trunk by lining the bolts up to their original location using these marks. That will get you about 90% of the way there in terms of alignment. I adjusted mine slightly afterward to get it perfectly centered. Reinstall both trunk struts to hold the trunk up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_190334.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	36281

Here comes the hardest part- snaking the wiring harness through your new trunk. I used some grass trimmer line, and taped the end of the harness to the trimmer line. Any sort of semi-rigid material would work. Then, I taped all the connectors to the harness with masking tape to make it as streamlined as possible. You roughly want to keep the wiring harness in the area enclosed by the rectangle in the picture, where the trunk is thickest. It is easiest to pull the harness straight up, do not go at any sort of angle. Drop the trimmer line down from the top, tape it to the harness, and pull it up. Once the end of the harness comes through the top, gently pull it through. If it gets caught, back it out from the bottom and try again.

The felt tape covering my wiring was a sticky mess, so I redid all the tape with new OE fabric wiring tape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_190811.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	36282

I reinstalled the key cylinder first, using a new gasket. For those using a CSL trunk liner, remove the emergency trunk latch that is attached to the key cylinder. This emergency latch is only found on US-spec M3s, so the CSL liner does not have an opening for it. The CSL trunk liner is optional, but you will be left with an opening for the tool kit. You can drill holes in the CSL trunk lid to mount the tool kit if you would like.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_183143 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.3 KB ID:	36283

CSL trunk liner vs stock

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_183020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	36284

Reinstall both tail lights, and the trunk latch. Reconnect the wires to these items, and try closing the trunk. If it doesn't latch properly unless you slam it, you may need to adjust the trunk latch on the car. Undo these two bolts and move the latch up/down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_190846.jpg Views:	5 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	36333

To install license plate lights, you have two options- incandescent or LED plate lights. You will need to make a wiring harness for either option.

For incandescent, you will need
    • Qty 2 - 61131378149 - Electrical Connector
    • Qty 4 - 61130007449 - Snap-in Receptacle
    • Qty 2 - 61130006664 - Pin Contact w/Wire Lead
    • Qty 1 - 61136931929 - Plug Housing
    • Qty 2 - 63267165646 - CSL License Plate Lamp
    • Heat Shrink Tubing
    • Solder
    For LED, you will need
    • Qty 2 - 61132360043 - Socket Housing Repair Kit
    • Qty 4 - 61130005197 - Plug Housing with Lead
    • Qty 2 - 61130006664 - Pin Contact w/Wire Lead
    • Qty 1 - 61136931929 - Plug Housing
    • Qty 2 - 63267193293 - LED License Plate Lamp
    • Heat Shrink Tubing
    • Solder
    If you are lazy butt connectors work too in place of solder and heat shrink.

Wiring diagram made by Smitsky089 for LED lamps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	36285

My experimental wiring harness for Incandescent lamps. It is a mess because I'm no good with electrical stuff. I made both ends too short to start out, and may redo it later for a cleaner install. You will want one end to be longer than the other due to the orientation of the plate lamps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_182735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.4 KB ID:	36288

I also needed to dremel the tabs on the plate lamps a bit to get them to sit properly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_171802.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	36289

Install the grommets for the trunk roundel and pop in the blind rivets for the plate bracket. I tore one, and am waiting for a replacement to come in. Do not order the OE screws for the plate bracket (51181813015). They are too short. I will have to run to the hardware store to finish off my install with longer bolts. The OE ones are M5x0.8x20 mm. I forgot exactly which ones I used to finish the install off but buy ones that are longer than 20 mm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_185725.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	36290

Finished product

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN9721.JPG Views:	313 Size:	136.0 KB ID:	39144
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN9719.JPG Views:	323 Size:	138.3 KB ID:	39145

Attached Files
    Last edited by Titaniu//M; 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM.
    '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Not gonna lie, was expecting some terrible paintwork when you said you got it painted at Maaco, but it actually looks great!
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Not gonna lie, was expecting some terrible paintwork when you said you got it painted at Maaco, but it actually looks great!
      Thanks! Can't say I wasn't skeptical when all the local //M guys told me they get their stuff done at Maaco. However, the owner of this Maaco was willing to cater to the quality that I wanted and had a lot of S2000s, Lotuses and other high end cars in their portfolio. There is a tiny run in the clear along one of the edges but it is perfect otherwise. Worth noting that YMMV since all Maaco locations are independent franchises.

Comment

Thanks, will be doing this soon!
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

Great work and thanks a ton for this DIY!! Just waiting on paint for mine.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
          2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            Thanks, will be doing this soon!
            Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
            Great work and thanks a ton for this DIY!! Just waiting on paint for mine.
            You are welcome, best of luck with both your CSL trunks

Comment

Great DIY!

I just wanted to add that the removal of the old trunk and install of the new one can be done without fear of dropping the trunk on the quarter panels. Out of the 4 torx screws that hold the trunk on the hinges, the two upper ones only need to be slightly loosened and the two bottom ones removed. The top portion of the hinge is slotted. The trunk will hang on the hinges and it can be easily slid up and off the car, then the opposite for reinstall of the CSL trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                Great DIY!

I just wanted to add that the removal of the old trunk and install of the new one can be done without fear of dropping the trunk on the quarter panels. Out of the 4 torx screws that hold the trunk on the hinges, the two upper ones only need to be slightly loosened and the two bottom ones removed. The top portion of the hinge is slotted. The trunk will hang on the hinges and it can be easily slid up and off the car, then the opposite for reinstall of the CSL trunk.
                Excellent tip, makes total sense. Would have saved me a lot of sweating if I had known this lol.

Comment

great write up - trunk looks awesome!

Comment

Great job OP, this will be helpful for the community for years to come!

Comment

Our OEM trunk is heavy! is there a weight savings with CSL?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich022 View Post
                        Our OEM trunk is heavy! is there a weight savings with CSL?
                        Not really. RealOEM lists the regular trunk at 11.508 kg and the CSL trunk at 11.500 kg (although I've seen other places claim that the difference between the two is more like 5 lbs). If you want to save weight then consider an aftermarket carbon fiber trunk. Problem with those is that the fitment will probably be nowhere close to the OE CSL piece.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Curious how much the Maaco paint job ran you?

Comment

Man, I need a csl trunk, but looks good

Comment

Looks great! I'm glad I did this for my M3.

Comment

Working...
                              X