Originally posted by xansabi
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Exhaust realization
Collapse
X
-
You’re correct. I Meant resonated w/ EGT and O2 sensor.06’ E46 M3 ZCP | BBS | Recaro | Ohlins | | Swift | Vorshlag | Hotchkis | IND | Status Gruppe | Future Classic | Whiteline | BavSound | AutoSolution | Euro Headers | SuperSprint | Sunbean | CSL | Revshift
11' E90 M3 ZCP Slicktop | M-Performance | RevShift | Ohlins | SPL | Turner | Hotchkis | Future Classic
-
To bystanders, not for the pilot.Originally posted by Sharocks View PostThis car sounds bad.
/thread.DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
/// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint
- Likes 5
Comment
-
How it should be, why cause distress for others when it can be just you.Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
To bystanders, not for the pilot.2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT Dinan S2 FBO NA Build
2005 BMW ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R+
2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT In Progress
2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT Dog Hauler
2019 VW GSW S 4MO Platinum Grey/Black6MT Daily
Instagram
- Likes 2
Comment
-
I have a very similar set up! Fabspeed headers to CPI RTX to SS resonated xpipe to Eisenmann race mufflers. I honestly was expecting it to be louder but it's a very refined OEM+ sound with about 90% of the rasp dialed out. It still is unmistakably S54 with its metallic signature but without the rasp.Originally posted by tnord View Post
I would have sold the car if I couldn't figure out the sound. I have the CPI RTX, SS res single sect 2, and SS Sport. I think it sounds great. I've never heard an S54 that sounds bad swapped into another car, so it's 100% something with the stock configuration. I have a theory about letting the banks mix somewhere in the exhaust path based on the limited number of exhausts I've seen on swapped cars.
But in general, keep the cats, keep the resonators, and keep the muffler on this car and you'll end up at least not hating it.
I am dealing with a really annoying metallic resonance at around 2800rpms when warm though. It comes on briefly but right at that rpm range every time the exhaust is fully warmed up. It seems to become progressively more noticeable as the exhaust gets hotter and is totally absent when cold. I also can feel a bit of resonance through the steering wheel and shifter. It appears to be emanating from the rear engine/section 1 area. My engine mounts are new OE BMW with fresh Rogue trans mounts. I've replaced every exhaust hanger on section 2 and 3. I also triple checked to make sure that the exhaust is not making contact with the chassis and/or heat shielding. I'm now wondering if it's being caused by the Fabspeed headers and being cat-less. I was really hoping that new engine and trans mounts would fix the issue.
Comment
-
I'm new to this forum, actually, my first post. I just bought my dad's E46 that's been sitting for about 3 years. It has 29k miles on it, and I can't stand how quiet it is. I just purchased a turnersport CSL box, and studying all of your messages to see what I can do to the exhaust. My other toy cars are a 996 Turbo, supercharged TL type S and I daily a RR Sport. I dont plan on making this a daily but I'd like to make it OEM+ for the weekend funsies. I'm keeping an eye on the marketplace!
Comment
-
Anyone else have experience with this as well? 100% stock exhaust with CSL Airbox.Originally posted by dannyzabolotny View PostBased on all of the M3's I've driven with various exhaust and intake combinations, my favorite setup is a 100% stock exhaust with a carbon airbox. The stock exhaust lets you hear just enough to be engaged, but it's not overwhelming or drawing unnecessary attention. The intake noise is really where the S54 shines.Instagram: @s54.m3
Comment
-
Ran it for a while, absolutely great. Induction noise is lovely on the car and the best setup may just be a CSL box with Euro headers + sec 1. But testing exhaust setups are just too tempting...Originally posted by Ramo View Post
Anyone else have experience with this as well? 100% stock exhaust with CSL Airbox.'05 ///M3 Mysticblau Metallic / Grey Nappa 6MT
'24 Audi RS5 Nardo Grey / Black
- Likes 2
Comment
-
Most intoxicating noise this side of ten cylinders.Originally posted by Ramo View Post
Anyone else have experience with this as well? 100% stock exhaust with CSL Airbox.2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5
https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/
- Likes 1
Comment
-
Originally posted by xansabi View Post
Ran it for a while, absolutely great. Induction noise is lovely on the car and the best setup may just be a CSL box with Euro headers + sec 1. But testing exhaust setups are just too tempting...
I only ask because I currently have SS V1 headers + SS high flow section 1 + Stock section 2 + SS Race. I would hate to buy the airbox and my exhaust drowns out all the induction noise. But if I sell my exhaust, it can pay for the full CSL Airbox setup 🤔Instagram: @s54.m3
Comment
-
I'm a few weeks/350mi into a new life with karb race/CSL headers/euro section 1. Stock the rest of the way out. The car sounds great in the cockpit, it honestly feels like a whole new world of e46 m3 has been unlocked (or quite literally, a new continent) coming from a 100% stock usdm car with no airbox.Originally posted by Ramo View Post
Anyone else have experience with this as well? 100% stock exhaust with CSL Airbox.
Tbonem3 - credit to an old head - has some great videos on YT of various similar/even exact setups capturing how it sounds for the audience outside. They are quick and cut right to the chase no bullshit. I found them helpful when I was thinking through my plan.
I’m would say I am very, very happy with the setup so far.
semi unrelated but not really - Brysons tune is awesome. It somehow still feels the same while feeling quite different. Hard to explain. It’s like the car went from Mario to a well mannered-Wario.06 ZCP Individual Sapphire Black Metallic
ig: na_csl
- Likes 3
Comment
-
After reading this thread I went out over the weekend and recorded these clips of the current exhaust setup. I might be in the minority but I prefer this exhaust tone over the intake noise, and I still hear the intake at low RPM.
The Karb Intake also in there but I prefer the way the car sounds now.
Exhaust setup
- CSL Headers
- Sunbeam Section 1 (resonated no EGT/O2 sensors)
- Stock Section 2 (maybe Sunbeam Section 2 when it comes out)
- Sunbeam Section 3
163 likes, 8 comments - itsalbertmiao on September 29, 2026: "Final post about the exhaust setup for now. Having spent a few months with the car like this now I can confidently say I don’t miss the sound of the CSL intake at all. It can still be heard it at low RPMS. From 7-8k the sound is intoxicating. I find myself miss-shifting just because I’m holding throttle a bit longer for the sound 😂 @sunbeam.motorsports section 1 is a game changer on tone for this engine. It resonates so well, I’m eagerly waiting for their section 2 to complete. Setup is as follows CSL Headers Sunbeam Section 1 &3 stock section 2 (for now) 🎥 by @brandondull #bmw #e46m3 #s54 #bmwrepost m3".
Theres also a Euroconnex TTV single mass flywheel and YFC Carbon Fiber Driveshaft which helps the car accelerate a bit faster.
- Likes 1
Comment
-
It has to drone like a MFer. I don't see how it can't since as far as I can tell there is no helmholtz resonator, plus your catless which is also a giant deal killer for most. So while yes, it is loud, doesn't sound terrible, thats a no dogOriginally posted by amiao View PostAfter reading this thread I went out over the weekend and recorded these clips of the current exhaust setup. I might be in the minority but I prefer this exhaust tone over the intake noise, and I still hear the intake at low RPM.
The Karb Intake also in there but I prefer the way the car sounds now.
Exhaust setup
- CSL Headers
- Sunbeam Section 1 (resonated no EGT/O2 sensors)
- Stock Section 2 (maybe Sunbeam Section 2 when it comes out)
- Sunbeam Section 3
. But I get it, different strokes.
You go 70mm or 76mm?2003 | 3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop
2005 | Slick top | Manual | Mystic | Stripper | ZCP Brakes
Comment

Comment