Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street freindly or best bump steer correction toe rod ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street freindly or best bump steer correction toe rod ends?

Looking at options of street friendly bump steering correction tie rod ends. Which are the highest quality built as in metals used, Teflon lined, etc.

Anyone? Looking at the VAC bump steer correction kit at the moment. Found that I can get boots over the exposed heim joints.

Comment

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered VAC bumpsteer correction kit, so far very happy after doing the calculations.

- 1.5mm toe-in at 1 5/8th inch compression.
      - 1.5mm toe-out at 1 5/8th inch rebound.
      - 40mm bumpsteer adjustment
      - 0.30lbs weight savings
      - Stock tie rod end had 6mm toe-in at 1 5/8th inch compression.

Now I need to source some boots since these will be street driven.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 07-14-2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

sub'd for updates on your impressions of this.

Comment

How much bumpsteer do these cars experience? I haven't noticed it in mine much and have never heard anyone racing these chassis to complain.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 following for the boots setup. I haven't found bump steer a huge issue yet but would be nice to correct it if possible. Basically all the kits are track only so I gave up but if there is a way to protect the heim joints and make it more street friendly than I am in... well i will add it to the list of things I need (read "want") to get when I get a job and some money again haha

Comment

The results are not what I expected and my fault for not thinking everything through. Because I did the 35mm bumpsteer correction, I now need to correct the roll center by 35mm but the only way to do that is by getting racing control arms at $1000+ for a pair. Back to the drawing board..

Originally posted by Stock tie rod with 13.5" front ride height
              11.5": +6.2mm (toe-in) (0.087 degree of toe in per wheel)
              12": +3.5mm
              12.5": +1.9mm
              13": +0.5mm
              Static 13.5": 0mm
              14": -0.6mm
              14.5": -1.0mm
              15": -1.0mm (0.014 degree of toe out per wheel)
              15 3/8": -0.7mm(toe-out) (0.0098 degree of toe out per wheel)
              Originally posted by VAC 35mm correction kit with 13.5: front ride height
              11.5": -2.5mm (toe-out) (0.035 degree of toe out per wheel)
              12": -2.0mm (0.028 degree of toe out per wheel)
              12.5": -2.0mm
              13": -1.0mm
              Static 13.5": 0mm
              14": +1.0mm
              14.5": +2.5mm
              15": +3.5mm (0.049 degree of toe in per wheel)
              15 3/8": +5mm(toe-in) (0.070 degree of toe in per wheel)

Comment

Saw this piece posted on a fb group. No experience with it:

Roll-center / bump steer / angle -kit for BMW E30 / E36 / E36 M3 / Z3 / Z3M / E46 / Z4 / Z4M models with E46 LCA(excluding E30 M3 / E30 iX / E46 xi/xd models). E30 non-M . 30mm bump steer correction.

The ground control roll center kit for the e36 might be adaptable to e46, id give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have talked to them and SLR, those kits will fit a E46 3 series but not a E46 M3. E46 M3 needs the tubular control arms to make those work.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                    Saw this piece posted on a fb group. No experience with it:

Roll-center / bump steer / angle -kit for BMW E30 / E36 / E36 M3 / Z3 / Z3M / E46 / Z4 / Z4M models with E46 LCA(excluding E30 M3 / E30 iX / E46 xi/xd models). E30 non-M . 30mm bump steer correction.

I saw these as well, I am interested by them but i do see that the LCA monoball that you have to replace with the one in their kit is not sealed... so other than saving a tonne of money you are still in a position where you have a unsealed and (unlike the TMS FCABs) is not even greasable so a bit of a stretch to say these are streetable yet... if they used a sealed monoball which i dont see why they cant in that particular setup then this would arguable be a great street bump steer correction solution.

Comment

Maybe MRT could look at customising a heim joint seal to suit their kit so they can be sealed: https://sealsit.com/product-category...-rod-end-seal/ I am not desperate enough for the feature at this juncture nor of the financial position to buy their kit and test these out like i might have a year or so ago haha

Comment

Sent a message to MRT, their kit looks interesting and I can get seal kits to seal the bearings but I don't like that in order to correct the bumpsteer and roll center you have to substantially quicken the steering rack. I also sent a message to a Canadian company to see if there is any interest in building a complete aluminum spindle that corrects both bumpsteer and roll-center but uses the stock control arm and tie rod end, doubt anything will come out of it but one can try.

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
                          Sent a message to MRT, their kit looks interesting and I can get seal kits to seal the bearings but I don't like that in order to correct the bumpsteer and roll center you have to substantially quicken the steering rack. I also sent a message to a Canadian company to see if there is any interest in building a complete aluminum spindle that corrects both bumpsteer and roll-center but uses the stock control arm and tie rod end, doubt anything will come out of it but one can try.
                          I know some analysis was done on the old forum on the csl spindle. Not sure if it might work in your use case though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I remember correctly, CSL spindle gives more static camber or caster, the mounting points for control arm and tie rod end are the same. What we need is a drop spindle where the actual mounting points for control arm and tie rod end is lower.

I do have a Longarce bumpsteer gauge coming this week so I can make better measurements, if someone is willing to borrow me a CSL spindle, I can measure its bumpsteer and compare it to a regular spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
                              Yer I also wasn't super keen on it increasing the steering rate... surely MRT could make a kit where it moved the tie rod to the outer side instead of the inner side and that will slow the steering a touch. when paired with e ZCP/ZHP (or Purple Tag for us RHD folks) that may balance out nicely and correct bump steer... although sealing the joints is still a must.

Still interested to follow where this goes....

Comment

Working...
                              X