Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People with CSL airboxes: let's see your dipstick solutions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People with CSL airboxes: let's see your dipstick solutions.

I've got a Karbonius box on my car and simply rotated the dipstick out of the way when installing. It now sits right behind the driver's side strut brace mount. However, I don't have it attached to anything at the top.

This location works fine and has given me no issues. However, the dipstick does feel a little unstable whenever I use it, especially when initially pulling it out.

The most obvious solution is to build a bracket that goes between the strut bar mount and the top dipstick mount, but that would mean that the dipstick would be attached to the engine at one end and to the chassis at the other. Might not be that big of an issue, but I would prefer not having a solid piece of metal between two parts that move independently from one another.

Another thought I've had is a bracket that extends from the bottom mounting points on the airbox or from the alternator wire mounting point, but I feel like that might result in something that's too bulky.

Anyway, I was just wondering what solutions others had come up with.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

I'd make an additional bracket that mounts to the small bracket under the airbox and connect it to the lower mount on the dipstick using one of the those rubber pegs. That way, it will move with the engine under load. The top portion of the dipstick will most likely need to be bent away from the unfiltered section.

Comment

I'm using stock CSL short dipstick.cant show you because I would have to remove half my box.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        I'd make an additional bracket that mounts to the small bracket under the airbox and connect it to the lower mount on the dipstick using one of the those rubber pegs. That way, it will move with the engine under load. The top portion of the dipstick will most likely need to be bent away from the unfiltered section.
        Nice. Would you happen to have a picture of this?

Originally posted by benzthis View Post
        I'm using stock CSL short dipstick.cant show you because I would have to remove half my box.
        Lol. Yeah that's why I'm trying to avoid this.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Nice. Would you happen to have a picture of this?

Lol. Yeah that's why I'm trying to avoid this.
          I saw it in a thread on m3cutters and now I can't find it.

Comment

Using CSL short dip stick. Not the best pic but gets the point across.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Here is another.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Here’s my solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ChipperM3 View Post
                  Here’s my solution.
                  Very clean, well done
                  '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

F that CSL short dipstick stuff... BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM!!!

Comment

I have the short CSL dipstick in my Z4M, the Z4M has more room in the engine bay, and I can still use it at will to check oil, the biggest caveat is that it can let a drop or two fall on the way out. There is actually a lot of room to reach and pull it out.

the photo below is not at the ideal angle but you can barely see it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0045.JPG Views:	0 Size:	150.9 KB ID:	39999
                      Last edited by maupineda; 07-04-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Here’s my solution.
                        Very nice! Where did you find that bracket?

Comment

Here’s my solution.
                          That looks great. Any issues/worries with having the dipstick mounted to both the engine and chassis?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Very nice! Where did you find that bracket?
                            It’s a bracket I repurposed from leftover bicycle stuff I had. Basically a L shaped aluminum piece. On the side that connects to the plastic nut on the tower, I opened up the hole so I didn’t have to take the nut completely off.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

That looks great. Any issues/worries with having the dipstick mounted to both the engine and chassis?
                              I haven’t had an issue. The way the dipstick tube bends going to that location, it has Some articulation if it needs to move. I would think it would be more of an issue if the tube was a straight line From the pan to the mount.
                              I used the CSL dipstick once, then decided to make this work in a way that looks as factory as possible. Taking the box apart to check the oil is not fun. once was enough for me. I do have CSL oil Level in the cluster, But I like to verify.

Comment

Working...
                              X