FYI: Troubleshooting SMG Relocation Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I like this one, very thorough. Just be gentle with the red collet where the hose from the reservoir attaches to the pump. Easy otherwise.

HOW TO REPLACE AN SMG HYDRAULIC PUMP ON E46 M3.pdf
    Tackling this project now. This PDF is good resource for how to remove the pump. But not necessarily for the full relocation.

The only real unknowns for me at this point is where/how to route and secure the lines to the drug bin. The steering column is dangerously close to the factory pump location. I ended up using zip ties into one of the factory rubber mounts for the smg pump.

Haven’t secured the hydraulic lines yet but I assume securing them somewhere in the intake plenum is probably a good idea.

The drug bin has a rubber insert for LHD cars. I plan to cut a hole in that rubber insert and route the lines through it. Don’t want the hydraulic lines rubbing straight on the sheet metal.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Tackling this project now. This PDF is good resource for how to remove the pump. But not necessarily for the full relocation.

The only real unknowns for me at this point is where/how to route and secure the lines to the drug bin. The steering column is dangerously close to the factory pump location. I ended up using zip ties into one of the factory rubber mounts for the smg pump.

Haven’t secured the hydraulic lines yet but I assume securing them somewhere in the intake plenum is probably a good idea.

The drug bin has a rubber insert for LHD cars. I plan to cut a hole in that rubber insert and route the lines through it. Don’t want the hydraulic lines rubbing straight on the sheet metal.
      Pic of mine in the drug bin. I simply zip tied the lines together and tucked behind valve covers on passenger side. Driver's side seems like I tied the lines to something sturdy. I'll take a look tomorrow. I have no issues and have been relocated for quite a while now. The lines have never moved.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2517.jpg Views:	0 Size:	368.3 KB ID:	168417
      Last edited by oceansize; 05-18-2022, 05:01 PM.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Pic of mine in the drug bin. I simply zip tied the lines together and tucked behind valve covers on passenger side. Driver's side seems like I tied the lines to something sturdy. I'll take a look tomorrow. I have no issues and have been relocated for quite a while now. They lines have never moved.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2517.jpg Views:	0 Size:	368.3 KB ID:	168417
        Thank you! I’ll post updates and pics here of what I do.

Comment

Hi guys. Quick update regarding my bleeding issue. Removed the burkhart bracket. I've put the SMG unit horizontally, like factory (That's kind of a "ghetto" setup, unit is held by rags and other stuff ... but it can't move.) My SMG is now working fine and ended up bleeding itself over time.

Long story short, if your hydro unit is not 100% bled, do not install it like Burkhart and some people suggest (Motor and solenoids on top, accu below) Your system will start to auto bleed the few remaining air while driving, then the pump will get air back in the system as it won't be able to get it out of the primary reservoir.

I'll start looking at new ways to install this, which may involve 180° rotating the unit (reservoir on top), decoupling accu from the pump and use a short braided line (have to check which diamater to use) with 2x90° bent connectors. Ideal solution would be to install the unit horizontally like factory but speace is quite tight in there .... Might be difficult to get a bracket fitting perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by YulCmr View Post
            Hi guys. Quick update regarding my bleeding issue. Removed the burkhart bracket. I've put the SMG unit horizontally, like factory (That's kind of a "ghetto" setup, unit is held by rags and other stuff ... but it can't move.) My SMG is now working fine and ended up bleeding itself over time.

Long story short, if your hydro unit is not 100% bled, do not install it like Burkhart and some people suggest (Motor and solenoids on top, accu below) Your system will start to auto bleed the few remaining air while driving, then the pump will get air back in the system as it won't be able to get it out of the primary reservoir.

I'll start looking at new ways to install this, which may involve 180° rotating the unit (reservoir on top), decoupling accu from the pump and use a short braided line (have to check which diamater to use) with 2x90° bent connectors. Ideal solution would be to install the unit horizontally like factory but speace is quite tight in there .... Might be difficult to get a bracket fitting perfectly.
            you are correct 100%
            I was using the burkhart bracket and was keep having air in the system even with more than 5 time of bleeding
            so I find that the best way to take air out from the system is to lay down the SMG unite horizentaly and do the bleeding procedure one or two time.
            I think it could fit horizentaly in the space perfectly if you don't have the ABS pump in drug bin.It need some time and effort to design the bracket.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	23632196_1252706434875358_8619654974704023338_o.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	172073 Click image for larger version

Name:	23722537_1254476371365031_4934743349943556541_n.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	172074

There is some successfully design where they fit the SMG pump horizontally in the drug pin,Dont know if they are available for sale or at least we could find the design for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed.Alghoul View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	23632196_1252706434875358_8619654974704023338_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.8 KB ID:	172073 Click image for larger version  Name:	23722537_1254476371365031_4934743349943556541_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	172074

There is some successfully design where they fit the SMG pump horizontally in the drug pin,Dont know if they are available for sale or at least we could find the design for it.
                That is from my car Ahmed. Mine was a prototype and I will not reveal the design as the creator has asked me not to. Other people like Burkhart sell the bracket.
                Last edited by 0-60motorsports; 06-14-2022, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

That is from my car Ahmed. Mine was a prototype and I will not reveal the design as the creator has asked me not to. Other people like Burkhart sell the bracket.
                  Ejaz
                  I think that this forum was created in order for us to cooperate and share problems and solutions.
                  But it varies from person to person and You have the right to choose,Most know where to find and get the the bracket, but unfortunately it is not the required one. and that what me and @YulCmr was talk about.
                  The job is not impossible or secret, but as I said it takes time and several attempts to obtain the desired design.

Thank you Ejaz very much, and I hope yours prototype remains secret forever.

Comment

Ejaz
                    I think that this forum was created in order for us to cooperate and share problems and solutions.
                    But it varies from person to person and You have the right to choose,Most know where to find and get the the bracket, but unfortunately it is not the required one. and that what me and @YulCmr was talk about.
                    The job is not impossible or secret, but as I said it takes time and several attempts to obtain the desired design.

Thank you Ejaz very much, and I hope yours prototype remains secret forever.
                    Ahmed, Whats with the hostility? I have to respect the creators wishes. That's it. He sent it to me and it is his to display to the world.

Why dont you just buy the Burkhart one:

All you have to do is before mounting it vertically, you keep it horizontal until the bleeding is done and then it can go in and you are good to go and at 99 Euro its a great price.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	23632196_1252706434875358_8619654974704023338_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.8 KB ID:	172073 Click image for larger version  Name:	23722537_1254476371365031_4934743349943556541_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	172074

The point of the relocation is to avoid the heat that kills these pumps. By having your catch can in the same location your are not doing yourself any favors, those things get hot and heat up the area.

Comment

Originally posted by kokgo20 View Post

The point of the relocation is to avoid the heat that kills these pumps. By having your catch can in the same location your are not doing yourself any favors, those things get hot and heat up the area.
                        I have not seen my catch can be that hot at all even on a 120f day here in Bahrain. I can easily touch it without my hand burning. I am sure having a catch can next to the pump is better than having the engine block stuck to it LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

I have not seen my catch can be that hot at all even on a 120f day here in Bahrain. I can easily touch it without my hand burning. I am sure having a catch can next to the pump is better than having the engine block stuck to it LOL
                          It’s been a while since I removed it from the drug bin but I remember relocating it due to heat. It’s an engine oil vapor so it should be the same temps as the engine. But if urs don’t run hot then u r fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kokgo20 View Post

It’s been a while since I removed it from the drug bin but I remember relocating it due to heat. It’s an engine oil vapor so it should be the same temps as the engine. But if urs don’t run hot then u r fine.
                            Where did you relocate it to bud?

Comment

There shouldn't be an assumption that pump orientation causes problems for everyone. I've been running my relocated pump with the motor facing towards the sky and accumulator down for close to two years with zero issues. Zero.
                              Last edited by oceansize; 06-14-2022, 04:29 AM.
                              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

There shouldn't be an assumption that pump orientation causes problems for everyone. I've been running my relocated pump with the motor facing towards the sky and accumulator down for close to two year with zero issues. Zero.
                                So thats exactly what i thought but were you successful in bleeding it that way or did you have to position it horizontally before bleeding?

Comment

Working...
                                X