Electric Fan Swap Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Fan Swap Options

While I have my car apart in quarantine maintenance mode, I thought of doing the mechanical to electric fan swap. I already have thermostat/water pump/radiator removed and prepared for new parts and coolant flush.

My question is: what is the current "gold standard" for electric fan swaps? I know many cars use spal fans - which is considered the best? I know there are several 16" pusher and puller options. Is the N15 bracket considered the go-to?

My goal is the removal of the mechanical and aux fans with the simplest electric fan for similar cooling performance. The car lives in Michigan as a weekend car.
    -Brandon
    2005 M3 BMW Individual Sterling Gray / Imola Red 6MT

The N15 brackets are really nice and can be used with several electric fans such as the 2049 and 2082 Spal fans.

if you are refreshing your cooling system I have a complete set of Hi-Temp orings available. I need to get that thread reposted over here still.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
    Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
    Evolve Eventuri
    - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Not really on topic but not super off topic...a lot of guys simply remove the mech fan and don't add any electric fans (aux stays in place though) and run it as daily or even on track (although you do get a lot of airflow at speed and don't need the fan till you get to paddock). If you are not in stop and go in super hot/humid climate you might consider that. I don't think Michigan sees summers with ambient over like 80(?). Just throwing it out there.

Here is my car in CA desert summer at 110 ambient and temp just started creeping up after crawling in traffic on highway on a slight uphill before we started moving again. That is with a fresh OE cooling system and no mech fan. AC was on because we were on a roadtrip with wife and 9m old baby (so we also had a tonne of stuff in the trunk).
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20190809_154331.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	4113
      Last edited by mrgizmo04; 03-29-2020, 10:16 PM.
      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
        The N15 brackets are really nice and can be used with several electric fans such as the 2049 and 2082 Spal fans.

if you are refreshing your cooling system I have a complete set of Hi-Temp orings available. I need to get that thread reposted over here still.
        Thanks. I will plan on getting the N15 bracket and one of the Spal fans. Is one considered better than the other (2049 vs 2082)? Do I need to purchase anything else to plug and play into my existing hardware? I think I can use the stock aux fan controller to control the fan?

I'm sure all of this was covered extensively on the old forum but coming up a little empty now.

​​​
        -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
          Not really on topic but not super off topic...a lot of guys simply remove the mech fan and don't add any electric fans (aux stays in place though) and run it as daily or even on track (although you do get a lot of airflow at speed and don't need the fan till you get to paddock). If you are not in stop and go in super hot/humid climate you might consider that. I don't think Michigan sees summers with ambient over like 80(?). Just throwing it out there.

Here is my car in CA desert summer at 110 ambient and temp just started creeping up after crawling in traffic on highway on a slight uphill before we started moving again. That is with a fresh OE cooling system and no mech fan. AC was on because we were on a roadtrip with wife and 9m old baby (so we also had a tonne of stuff in the trunk).
          Click image for larger version Name:	Resized_20190809_154331.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	4113
          Thanks. I realize people do this but don't really feel comfortable only doing that. Michigan does see 90s and I do occasionally sit in traffic in the summer. I may be fine but don't really want to gamble.
          -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by Smitsky089 View Post
            Thanks. I will plan on getting the N15 bracket and one of the Spal fans. Is one considered better than the other (2049 vs 2082)? Do I need to purchase anything else to plug and play into my existing hardware? I think I can use the stock aux fan controller to control the fan?

I'm sure all of this was covered extensively on the old forum but coming up a little empty now.
            The 2049 is thinner than the 2082. According to Spal the 2082 has better flow characteristics over the 2049. You can wire it to the Aux fan control if you remove the Aux fan otherwise you will need a separate fan control. I use a PWM unit which operates similar to the Aux fan control, variable speed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E8175.JPG
Views:	3148
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5075
            Evolve Eventuri

Comment

I was about to post a similar thread and found this, so I'll jump in...

Can anyone comment on how the Mishimoto fan compares to the SPAL options? Clearly it is more expensive....what is the benefit? This if for a daily M3, it will see no track time. Is the Mishimoto overkill for a non-track car?

Edit: I didn't realize the price on the N15 brackets. That puts the SPAL and the Mishimoto in the same range. Comments??
              Last edited by M3steve; 04-06-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M3steve View Post
                I was about to post a similar thread and found this, so I'll jump in...

Can anyone comment on how the Mishimoto fan compares to the SPAL options? Clearly it is more expensive....what is the benefit? This if for a daily M3, it will see no track time. Is the Mishimoto overkill for a non-track car?

Edit: I didn't realize the price on the N15 brackets. That puts the SPAL and the Mishimoto in the same range. Comments??
                It's not required to use the N15 bracket, although it's a lot cleaner and probably more sturdy. You can just use the generic Spal brackets and tuck the fan controller somewhere.

Comment

I originally ran the Mishimito fan inside the OE fan shroud, worked great.

Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
                    I originally ran the Mishimito fan inside the OE fan shroud, worked great.
                    This is great! Was it a direct fit? And directly compatible with the stock fan controller?

Comment

Recently helped a friend install the none M electric fan from a manual e46 330i. Fits to the wiring harness that comes off the aux fan controller pnp. Just requires a bit of trimming from the underside to clear the oil cooler. After that all u need to do is code the electric fan to come on sooner, and done!
                      385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                      -CSL airbox ( custom)
                      -280 272 Cat cams
                      -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                      -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                      -TMS pullies
                      -Electric Fan
                      -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                        Recently helped a friend install the none M electric fan from a manual e46 330i. Fits to the wiring harness that comes off the aux fan controller pnp. Just requires a bit of trimming from the underside to clear the oil cooler. After that all u need to do is code the electric fan to come on sooner, and done!
                        Yes, that is another good option, e46 330i is bit stronger at 32.5 amps = 390 watts than spal 2082 24 amps = 288 watts as well, fit is much cleaner with spal 2082 though, but if someone looking absolute strongest fan at the moment 330i fan is the way to go if you don't mind cutting the shroud quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                          I just received my Spal 2082, just waiting on the N15 brackets. I already have the aux fan removed and will hook up the new Spal fan to the aux fan controller.
                          Do you have any more info on how to code the new fan to come on sooner than stock? I'm not sure if I actually need to do this yet, with the car living in Michigan, but maybe I will eventually want to modify.

And for clarification, what are the stock settings? I think the fan is full speed above 95C Coolant at the lower radiator coolant sensor, correct? Is it on anytime A/C is on?
                          -Brandon

Comment

Correct. I find it's much better to have it go at full tilt at 88 90 c. Especially if you actually drive your car hard enough đź‘Ť
                            385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                            -CSL airbox ( custom)
                            -280 272 Cat cams
                            -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                            -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                            -TMS pullies
                            -Electric Fan
                            -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

What’s the consensus on removing the aux fan vs running both with an extra PWM controller? How’s the cooling ability of just the aux fan vs just an aftermarket puller?

Comment

Working...
                              X