Delamination of fabric on A pillar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delamination of fabric on A pillar

Any suggestions on the A pillar fabric delamination on my M3? Glue, double sided tape?

Attached Files

Contact cement is what I used and it turned out well.

Comment

Replace or alcantara wrap it, if you want it to look like new.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

This happened to me a few years ago, I just ripped it off (along with C pillars) and it's still a black fabric-like appearance, looks just as good TBH.
        2002 BMW M3 Coupe Jet Black/Black
        2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+ Deep Blue Metallic/White

Comment

Mine were coming undone at the sides so I used fabric glue... only soon later they started sagging in the middle so I bought new ones.

Comment

The only cure is to buy new ones, and then they will start doing the same after a while. Most glues I have tried fail much quicker.
            BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I redid mine with Alcantara and Permatex headliner adhesive over the winter, so far so good. Time will tell if it lasts though

EDIT: If I could do it again I might have gone with OE fabric like this guy did, it's a much better match than the Alcantara which is a shade darker than the headliner.

Last edited by timmo; 07-10-2020, 06:53 AM.

Comment

+1 for Alcantara

Comment

FCP Euro has them on “clearance” for ~$82 each this week, lifetime replacement.

I DIYed the ones I currently have on with 3M 90 adhesive spray. Peel back the fabric, spray on, let it tack up for 45-60 seconds, and then lay the fabric on. Go too quickly and it soaks through

2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
                    FCP Euro has them on “clearance” for ~$82 each this week, lifetime replacement.

I DIYed the ones I currently have on with 3M 90 adhesive spray. Peel back the fabric, spray on, let it tack up for 45-60 seconds, and then lay the fabric on. Go too quickly and it soaks through
                    Does that include the screw cover panel? I noticed those are sold seperately now. I have replaced mine twice in my ownership over 11 years, this would be the third time, or 4th set!! I am just living with the black backing after ripping the fabric off. I have replaced every one of the pillar covers at some point. All of them are peeling again. You'd really think BMW could do better. Spending ~$600 to redo them all again is not in the cards.
                    2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by cozmo kraemer View Post

Does that include the screw cover panel? I noticed those are sold seperately now. I have replaced mine twice in my ownership over 11 years, this would be the third time, or 4th set!! I am just living with the black backing after ripping the fabric off. I have replaced every one of the pillar covers at some point. All of them are peeling again. You'd really think BMW could do better. Spending ~$600 to redo them all again is not in the cards.
                      It does not, I looked yesterday and those are $30 ea.
                      2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

I took mine off and sprayed them with a black texture paint. Looked a little weird at first but im used to it and id guess most people wouldnt even notice now. They are black and no fabric is hanging off looking super janky, so thats a win in my book. Theres no way im wasting a few hundred on something that is guaranteed to fail again.

Comment

I have used Elmers Glue stick that I took from my kid’s art supplies box.
                          It has held up 3 years in our SoCal weather conditions.

Comment

I used 3m headliner adhesive. It sprays too thick and it will go through liner. I haven't tried letting it sit for a minute though to see if it helps with that issue. Instead I spray the adhesive on a shop towel and use a foam paint brush to apply it thin. Helps having someone to hold the cloth back while you do this.

Comment

Originally posted by amebos View Post
                              I used 3m headliner adhesive. It sprays too thick and it will go through liner. I haven't tried letting it sit for a minute though to see if it helps with that issue. Instead I spray the adhesive on a shop towel and use a foam paint brush to apply it thin. Helps having someone to hold the cloth back while you do this.
                              Yep the trick is to not put the fabric on when it’s still very wet. It will bleed through. After it has tacked up then you lay fabric back down. The 3M 90 is what most find to be the best adhesive for this area.
                              The trick of painting it on like you said is another good method for small area re-attachment. Makes glue uniform without blotches and keeps it where you want it. People on forums always spray too much too quickly all over the place. Once it bleeds through it’s basically ruined.
                              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Working...
                              X