Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about getting steering wheel wrapped (by RedlineGoods) i could use some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

urgh, choices...

I thought i ruled out the flat bottom variant, but ... urgh...

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
      Seats are fine, actually Alcantara or cloth is a good material so you don't slide around. Whenever I'm on track I'm hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life since it's so slippery.

Just don't have Alcantara as a material where you touch it very often. Things like steering wheels, shift knobs, armrests, etc. The oils in your skin are what fouls the material over time
      Yes, that seem to me the common theme about this material.

Comment

i have a Tainik steering wheel, hes on Ebay. its Alcantara.. its just fine on wear. I dont eat in my car or drive with greasy food hands, or have sweaty hands, or dont wash my hands before driving... it stays nice... i noticed my regular leather steering wheel gets dirty faster than my Alcantara wheel..

Comment

For what it's worth I had leather steering wheels from Coby in both my E46's. I'd go that route again, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
            and isn’t Alcantara fake suede?
            Yes Alcantara is the Italian company that has the patent for this man-made suede.
            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 07-11-2020, 06:12 PM.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
              Seats are fine, actually Alcantara or cloth is a good material so you don't slide around.
              Just don't have Alcantara as a material where you touch it very often. Things like steering wheels, shift knobs, armrests, etc. The oils in your skin are what fouls the material over time
              Agreed, using Alcantara on the steering wheel or shift knob is something you have to be aware you have to clean & maintain it or it'll look bad in time.

Also genuine Alcantara fabric is better than the cheap fake suedes materials. So if you get some of those they wear poorly.

If you're not going to spend time to clean it every so often you'll regret buying it. I have it on the top and bottom sections along with perforated leather (sides) on a custom Tanik wheel and I'm cleaning it with a soft bristle brush and damp cloth every other month.

6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                Agreed, using Alcantara on the steering wheel or shift knob is something you have to be aware you have to clean & maintain it or it'll look bad in time.

Also genuine Alcantara fabric is better than the cheap fake suedes materials. So if you get some of those they wear poorly.

If you're not going to spend time to clean it every so often you'll regret buying it. I have it on the top and bottom sections along with perforated leather (sides) on a custom Tanik wheel and I'm cleaning it with a soft bristle brush and damp cloth every other month.
                Ok. I believe the one i'm after is "real" (genuine) Alcantara.

Yes, i don't want to clean every week, but every other month or monthly is acceptable. At least as i'm rotating through the cars. not one will be daily driver. And i do work from home time to time.

Your setup with Alcantara on the top and bottom sections. And perforated leather on the grip sides, this arrangement is what i'm after, although i haven't put too much into the perforated leather variant.

Any picture of your steering wheel setup to share? Thanks.

Comment

It will vary by individual use and hand oil transfer how often one will need to clean it.
                  But BMW for the 330zhp had lazy owners that needed to get their Alcantara steering wheels replaced because public isn’t into cleaning them and they wear badly.(BMW replaced it with a perforated leather wheel).
                  Photo is of my steering wheel as requested.
                  Last edited by old///MFanatic; 07-12-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

It will vary by individual use and hand oil transfer how often one will need to clean it.
                    But BMW for the 330zhp had lazy owners that needed to get their Alcantara steering wheels replaced because public isn’t into cleaning them and they wear badly.(BMW replaced it with a perforated leather wheel).
                    Photo is of my steering wheel as requested.
                    Thank!

You mentioned "custom Tanik wheel".

I can't seem to find this place or person online that does custom steering wheels.

Can you share a pointer to this "Tanik wheel" place?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer View Post

Thank!

You mentioned "custom Tanik wheel".

I can't seem to find this place or person online that does custom steering wheels.

Thanks again.
                      See my post 15 in this thread. I listed all the big players and the fourth link is Tainik.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

See my post 15 in this thread. I listed all the big players and the fourth link is Tainik.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer View Post
                          Thank! You mentioned "custom Tanik wheel".
                          Thanks again.
                          Sorry I spelled it wrong. Tainik is the company name and can be found on eBay.. The owner's name is Dimitri.
                          Oceanside I believe posted a link earlier too.
                          This is the one I have.

Comment

Sorry I spelled it wrong. Tainik is the company name and can be found on eBay.. The owner's name is Dimitri.
                            Oceanside I believe posted a link earlier too.
                            This is the one I have.
                            https://www.ebay.com/str/lovelysteer...elsfromgermany
                            Thank you.

Plan is to go with two tone grips, with Alcantara on top and perforated leather on the sides.

I do have a spare e46 m3 oem steering wheel, bought back in 2007, now i can't recall what sort of e46 steering wheel this came as, but i do remember replacing the top steering cover from one that came with just one button on the right side. May try this out to get the Alcantara feel of it.

Comment

Sorry I can’t see your photo. But if it just had one button then it sounds like the ZCP steering wheel.

Comment

Sorry I can’t see your photo. But if it just had one button then it sounds like the ZCP steering wheel.
                                You are right, after digging through my old photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X