Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak

Writing this as I sit waiting for a flatbed. Noticed I was burning oil sitting idle at a red light (smell amd white burn off) then really noticed it as I got up to speed and could see behind me. Yellow low oil pressure light in top center dash illuminated just as I pulled into my destination. Decent puddle of oil under the car leaking from the black cover and dipstick is reading right at the very bottom.

Any ideas on where to start looking when I get her home?

CPV, VCG, OFHG, OPG
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Pics?

Comment

No pics yet, looking down from the header side I can see oil pooled on the control arm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

could be vanos line

Comment

Oil leak that bad should be easy fo spot. Clean off the oil. Top off the oil and start it up.

Exhaust side is likely to be CPV, VCG, Timing Chain Tensioner, VANOS supply, or CPS.

Front side is likely that freeze plug on the timing chain cover, VANOS gasket (lower left bolt), front main seal.

Rear is VCG or rear main seal.

Intake side is CPS, OFGH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all, will tear into later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by benzthis View Post
                could be vanos line
                Took a quick look, maybe a candidate or it's coming from above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_182416.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	41627

Comment

That could possibly do it - - mine had a small fracture underneath the heat shielding and it sprayed oil all over the timing chain cover area and headers. Judging by the size of that cut in the line, I'm sure you're losing oil at the rate you're describing.

Comment

Originally posted by 2004LSB View Post
                    That could possibly do it - - mine had a small fracture underneath the heat shielding and it sprayed oil all over the timing chain cover area and headers. Judging by the size of that cut in the line, I'm sure you're losing oil at the rate you're describing.
                    That makes sense with what I saw smoke wise, coming from passenger side while at idle. The right inner wheel is also soaked with oil. You guys run BMW or aftermarket line? I see RE and Bimmerworld have SS lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post

That makes sense with what I saw smoke wise, coming from passenger side while at idle. The right inner wheel is also soaked with oil. You guys run BMW or aftermarket line? I see RE and Bimmerworld have SS lines.
                      I have used the BW line. No issues.

Comment

I bought the upgraded line from ECS Tuning, but have yet to install. Have leaks but nothing major.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

And we have a winner. Pin hole in the vanos oil line right at the mounting bracket which was also broken. You couldn't see it when I took it off but bending the line back and forth a bit exposed it.

Comment

And we have a winner. Pin hole in the vanos oil line right at the mounting bracket which was also broken. You couldn't see it when I took it off but bending the line back and forth a bit exposed it.

Good job. Should be an easy fix. Just make sure you have the crush washers

Comment

Wait that picture looks like the oil return line not the VANOS line. Unless there is a VANOS line that has a braided end that I am not aware of.

Comment

Working...
                              X