Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tone View Post

Ha. Lucky you! I tried some of the YouTube methods and ended up breaking a hose clamp

At the time, the fan tool felt like the best $15 I've ever spent!
    Who needs a fan tool!!

If installed the fan correctly there is no need for fan tool: clean and grease the threads to prevent rust, then hand turn the nut until bottomed, then just snug it up (about 1ft-lbs).
    (If the nut was not bottomed and snug then it will be tighten up too tight when engine first running.)

To remove: hit the crescen wrench CW with a medium hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Who needs a fan tool!!

If installed the fan correctly there is no need for fan tool: clean and grease the threads to prevent rust, then hand turn the nut until bottomed, then just snug it up (about 1ft-lbs).
      (If the nut was not bottomed and snug then it will be tighten up too tight when engine first running.)

I use a 1 1/16" wrench and a prybar to hold the water pump. No need to buy special tools.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This is exactly what led to me having a broken hose clamp. Whoever last installed the fan didn't grease the threads and properly torque it, so it was massively over-tight. Or maybe it just seized up after 15 years 😁

You can 100% get this done without a special tool, but $15 gets you the tool and a 32mm wrench. For some (including me), that's a small price to pay to get the job done quickly and easily.

TL;DR Definitely not necessary, but it's really cheap and can be nice to have.

Comment

Working...
        X