Supersprint & SCZA 2.5" System w/ Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersprint & SCZA 2.5" System w/ Mods

Sharing with the group the results my sweat & tears, and an unbelievable amount of time in the garage (probably too much). I've experimented with several setups (mostly retaining stock sections 2 & 3) before committing to a 2.5" system based around SS V1's. The components are:
    - SS V1 headers (#044001)
    - SS section 1 straight (#044012)
    - SS section 2 unresonated (#044013)
    - SCZA section 3 (new one purchased recently)
    - HJS cats

When I first worked on this car doing anything that involved removing the exhaust, it was so tedious that I was determined to add vband clamps to whatever system I ended up with. I opted for ECS's 2.5" clamps which are all stainless steel and reasonably priced. Very happy with that particular product. The trick I used with welding the vbands was lots of small tacks, and with the vbands clamped to one another; otherwise you get lots of pulling and deformation. I did have to cut one vband off that pulled too much. There isn't much margin of error when you're trying to get the faces to match up perfectly.

I've said before that its well worth anyone's time & effort (and money) to purchase the SS section 1 with cats directly from SS (#044002), instead of welding in cats. With the addition of vbands and having to already cut it up, the equation changes slightly but its still fussy to add cats. I used HJS which are quality pieces that perform well and actually cut down on emissions (sensitive to the smell, being a convertible).

For the section 2, it was worth it to me to purchase SS to get the pre-bends, especially in the area around rear subframe and diff. I opted for the unresonated version to retain some drama (but admittedly not knowing what the resonated sounded like). Then I got curious and cut out the straight sections to add a crude test x-pipe (don't judge the welds, I went as quick as I could). The x-pipe was a subtle change, not drastic. Not better, not worse. But it had a little too much buzzing in the low rpms. It was just meant for a sound change as the SS piece already comes with an H-pipe. The final iteration is what you see here with two small resonators. In the photos, I had just added these; the rest of the system has some miles on it.

The SCZA has long been touted as a good sounding system, but probably not in the context of having everything changed so much upstream, which I've done. But I like it because its all 2.5" and 304 stainless. I find it be a relatively quiet muffler which is positive in my book. The toughest part of building the system was between section 2 and this section 3 SCZA. The curves and angles were really tough to get right. It was at this junction that I had to cut off a bad vband.

The tips aren't finished yet and I just have some scrap tacked on the end. The final, final project will be to weld tips on the end, which I already have. I am using a DEI product to protect the O2 sensor wiring.

How does it sound? Good-to-great. Not truly great, definitely not amazing, but certainly not terrible. As mentioned, its quieter so the airbox sounds overwhelm it, which is good. There's noise out the back but its nothing noteworthy.

Do I think 2.5" matters, versus 2.25"? No, but I just wanted it. It does have an effect on the sound, making it not as sonorous (at least I think, and as compared to YT videos of different setups). I'm also pleased with how flush it is with the underside of the vehicle.

Tell you what, though, popping off the vbands and dropping the system in a few minutes is very satisfying. Not that I'm taking it off too often. Common theme here: not everything is done using reason.

Finally, here are the photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exh1.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	41638

Name:	Exh2.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	41639

Name:	Exh3.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	41640

Name:	Exh4.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	41641

Name:	Exh5.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	41642

Name:	Exh6.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	41643

Name:	Exh7.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	41644

Name:	Exh8.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	41645

Name:	Exh9.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	41646

Name:	Exh10.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	41647

Name:	Exh11.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	41648

Name:	Exh12.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	41649
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Your custom exhaust turned out great. The vbands are a welcomed addition. What's the OD of the small resonators?
    Last edited by SWRT_M3; 07-09-2020, 09:16 PM.
    Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I had this same setup a few months ago or so and didn't love it due to the sect 2 and as you say, install was a bit tricky/tight. Very interesting to see you add resonators to sect 2 after the fact and the whole vband thing.

Will you be dynoing soon? Will be good to see another s54 with cams/airbox/2.5"
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by SWRT_M3 View Post
        Your custom exhaust turned out great. The vbands are a welcomed addition. What's the OD of the small resonators?
        Thanks, the small resonators are 4" in length and have an inlet side with 2.5" ID and outlet side with 2.5" OD.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        Thanks for sharing. I had this same setup a few months ago or so and didn't love it due to the sect 2 and as you say, install was a bit tricky/tight. Very interesting to see you add resonators to sect 2 after the fact and the whole vband thing.

I dynoed in the spring with TTFS to complete tuning and recall making 323whp, I believe. I should have taken some photos. Then, I wasn't able to get the plot from Frank who said he lost of a lot information recently. Grrr. I'm more interested in the torque curve and have now have stuck in my mind duracell's performance with paulclaude's tuning. That is a nice dyno plot.
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Nice. My first welding project was to tig some cats and O2 bungs into a stock section 1, so I feel your pain. I made a wood jig and still had to cut off and re weld one of the flanges from the warpage . I had to bolt everything up as you suggested. Lesson learned.

Comment

I'd love to hear the setup if you have a link to a video
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I completed the tip installation, along with the CSL diffuser. Every bit of a pain in the ass, and more, to get the alignment right and everything welded without losing said alignment. The stick-out is further than OEM from what I can tell but comparable to some aftermarket applications. Not a bad thing to show off these nice pieces from Burkhart Engineering, which are 70mm OD. Factory CSL exhaust photos were used to determine the distance between each pair of tips - this is one area that varies considerably - and I probably end

Photos attached and I'm pleased to be finished this time-suck of a project.

Name:	IMG_5301.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	42370

Name:	IMG_5302.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	42372

Name:	IMG_5303.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	42373

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	42374

Name:	IMG_5305.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	42376

Name:	49363521a00a58e80324f9478db76d0a8751db0f.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	42375
              Attached Files

Comment

Great work man, all that work will save you time down the road when the exhaust needs to be removed to get to this or that.
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

Those tips look like how they should have come from the factory, really nice.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Thanks for kind words, all. Here's a link for the tips. Really nice pieces, plus the price has come down recently. They are meant to be re-riveted onto the factory section 3 but they happen to be 2.5" OD and then flare to 2.75" (70mm): https://burkhart-engineering.com/en/...6-m3-inkl-csl/

Comment

More fussing about. Those small bottle style resonators weren't tempering a small hit of rasp around 2-3k RPM. Lots of rasp talk lately on some of the threads but on my setup, it was odd to have that one spot. So $600 later for a new SS section 2 with resonator 🙄 I chopped it out and spliced into the existing system. Nothing like taking the long route.

Name:	IMG_5980.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	120841

Name:	IMG_5981.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	120840

Name:	IMG_5982.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	120838

Name:	IMG_5983.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	120839

Name:	IMG_5984.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	120837

At the beginning of this project, I wondered if non resonated section 2 would give a more raw sound. It did, slightly, on the rips up to redline but I didn't care for the buzziness. Adding the small bottle style resonators helped, but had the issue noted above. Resonated section 2 turned out to be the way to go for me.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice writeup and impressive skill man.

When you say sec 2 gave a more raw sound, this is with the setup pictured in post 1 with mini resonators and hjs?

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I'll add my data once everything is on.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

We need a sound clip!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                          2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
                            We need a sound clip!
                            This! Love the Vbands
                            Rich | 2001 E46 M3 | Alpinweiss & Imolarot | 6MT

Comment

I'm super jealous of the V bands.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...