Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMG to Manual accelerator pedal. No more kick-down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
    Taking the pedal off is actually really easy, it's just held in with a clip. But I guess you could pop the cover off with it still being in the car if you can get in there.
    Breaking that clip is super easy though, so watch out.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Breaking that clip is super easy though, so watch out.
      For sure! You gotta press a flat thin screwdriver in the slot on the left side of the pedal pushing down the clip on the bracket which the pedal slides into. Once you press down the clip on the bracket, you just wiggle it back and forth and it comes out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diag_3aia.png
Views:	365
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	208383
      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

For those interested, I removed the side panel and took out the kickdown switch without removing the pedal. It's real easy and took about 10 minutes. On my car (2002 M3) the tool required is a 5 point security torx size 10. Easy!

Comment

Sorta off topic, but just did this in an auto E82 (really don't like the kickdown even if it's an auto).

Pedal was more annoying to take apart because it's held together by clips, but it was significantly easier to remove from the car. Held in by a bolt and then it comes out:

Name:	20230305_173806.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	208519

Name:	20230305_171842.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	208520

Name:	20230305_172425.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	208521

Name:	20230305_172825.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	208522
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thanks for the writeup. Detent has always felt strange to me.

Comment

Just FYI, the auto and manual pedals are scaled differently. The manual pedal maxes out at 4.15v. The auto pedal hits 4.15v right at the kickdown switch, and then gets to 4.55v as you press the kickdown. The dme uses that higher voltage to determine whether or not it should put itself into kickdown mode.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                Just FYI, the auto and manual pedals are scaled differently. The manual pedal maxes out at 4.15v. The auto pedal hits 4.15v right at the kickdown switch, and then gets to 4.55v as you press the kickdown. The dme uses that higher voltage to determine whether or not it should put itself into kickdown mode.
                So to confirm, if you have a converted car, if you floor it to the kick down, it would be exactly the same as pushing through the kick down?

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                  So how does the DME know which pedal is installed? If you converted a SMG to 6MT does it except 4.15v or 4.55v for WOT?
                  E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                  Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

So how does the DME know which pedal is installed? If you converted a SMG to 6MT does it except 4.15v or 4.55v for WOT?
                    DME treats 4.15v as WOT. If it goes above that and hits the kickdown threshold voltage (which is only possible if you have an SMG/auto pedal), it sets the kickdown flag on the CAN bus. The transmission controller sees said flag and does stuff

In a manual car I believe the can flag is still set if you happen to have an auto pedal, but nothing else really happens since nothing needs to respond to the kickdown status.

Comment

Such a great mod. Just did this last month and rev matching is so so much better. The kickdown provided enough resistance that I never pushed beyond it during revmatching. Thanks for sharing!
                      '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo85281 View Post
                        For those interested, I removed the side panel and took out the kickdown switch without removing the pedal. It's real easy and took about 10 minutes. On my car (2002 M3) the tool required is a 5 point security torx size 10. Easy!
                        So is it a 5 point torx 10? Or a 6 point t8? I tried two different t8 6 points and nothing

Comment

Working...
                        X