Shift Linkage/Transmission Slop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Linkage/Transmission Slop

I recently rebuilt most of my transmission in an effort to improve shifter feel. I did the clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, all springs and related hardware (except for the first and fifth gear detents because I couldn't get those out without removing the bell housing), shifter carrier bushing (including repairing the carrier that had ripped out from the transmission tunnel), and installed an AutoSolutions autocross SSK.

Shifts feel significantly better, but there's still a bit of side to side slop in the shifter. This slop is enough to where I sometimes have trouble finding third when shifting quickly from second.

Here's a video of the slop:

Is this just an inherent characteristic of the 420g? Or is it possibly due to those two detent spring I didn't change?
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

looks totally fine to me.

Comment

Normal for this gearbox

Comment

Your side to side play looks similar to mine, and my shifter linkage is completely new from my 6MT swap 2 years ago. I agree that it's a surprising amount of play.

Comment

I rebuilt mine recently including UUC Evo and new selector rod joint and I have about twice the side-to-side freeplay that you do. For me the slop is all in the selector rod joint pin. If I ever have the trans off I will machine the holes slightly larger and have a tight fitting pin.

Comment

Like all the above, seems normal. Mine is the same.
            '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

I think youve gotten as close to zero slop as possible with the normal oem setup. For something tighter youre probably looking at performance racing grade

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I was kinda hoping I could throw more parts at it to get it even tighter but I guess I'm going to have to learn to live with it like it is now.

After looking at a couple images of the bellhousing, I'm surprised as to how much space there is between the bearing and locking pins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f14d53ce4569c64d1a5abffb9089b92d~2.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	41811

Since people who did a 6MT swap seem to still have this behavior, I doubt that it's due to a tired torsion spring.

​​​​​​​I'm thinking that possibly on oversized bearing will help reduce slop, although no clue if it would still interface correctly with the locking pins. Maybe if I'm really bored one day I'll find a bellhousing and mess around with it.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

There was a thread here on swapping ZF transmission from e90 335i to our cars, that one has much less slop and butter smooth. Look into that better if you have an itch :-) hehe

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                    There was a thread here on swapping ZF transmission from e90 335i to our cars, that one has much less slop and butter smooth. Look into that better if you have an itch :-) hehe
                    Ah yes that might be a better idea. One of my close friends has an E92 335xi and the transmission on that car feels amazing. Might be worth to go that route vs trying to modify a 420g.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Ah yes that might be a better idea. One of my close friends has an E92 335xi and the transmission on that car feels amazing. Might be worth to go that route vs trying to modify a 420g.
                      The ZF in my friend's E90 335xi feels pretty similar to the ZF in my ZHP. Now you have peaked my curiousity, as I've never driven an E46 M3, I wonder how the Getrag feels in comparison

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

The ZF in my friend's E90 335xi feels pretty similar to the ZF in my ZHP. Now you have peaked my curiousity, as I've never driven an E46 M3, I wonder how the Getrag feels in comparison
                        In a word: notchy

Comment

That's normal. My AS SSK in my car for 7 years does that. Since it's a new SSK it needs a few hundred miles to break in. This is also when you figure out what way to shift it best. I have a really short shift so I don't miss gates but getting into 5th took a few weeks of trying new methods until I found what worked for me. Same thing in my M5, same time frame and same time to figure out what it likes best. Oh and same gearbox too.
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                          X