Lets Talk Caliper Rebuilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets Talk Caliper Rebuilds

Probably stupid question. But reaching my wits end chasing this long brake pedal. Started last track weekend with good pedal, first day last session pedal started going long. Second day pedal was long the whole day. Freshly flushed with SRF before the weekend.

After the track weekend replaced with SS lines and installed brass caliper guide bushings. Flushed with full 1L of bottle of SRF using motive system, MC never ran dry. Pedal still long after this work, feels identical.

All I can think of to try next is caliper rebuild then MC replacement. I don't think its an MC problem. With the engine off I can pump the pedal and it gets hard. Maybe 1/2 inch of travel before it gets hard. Once you start the engine the pedal travel becomes *very* long. I would think that if the booster was failing then the pedal would get harder not softer.

Is there an interval everyone uses to replace the square cut seal in the brake calipers? Would a failing square cut seal cause a long brake pedal? I would think that if air was getting past the seal then fluid would also be getting past the seal, right?

are your pads brand new? my pedal started getting long in the feel when my pads were past 50% used.
    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
      are your pads brand new? my pedal started getting long in the feel when my pads were past 50% used.
      This is good to know. My HPS on the fronts were at 30% with a soft pedal, reverted back to some random street pads I had on hand and the pedal got much better. To be fair I did bleed the fronts quickly, but didn't observe any air and the fluid was still light yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
        Rears are new. Fronts are 70 percent with a little taper to them.

If you would estimate how far your pedal travel is with the engine running?

Before the track weekend the pedal would engage at the same level as the throttle. Now its 2-3 inches below the throttle (this is an estimate I need to actually measure it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is another stupid question but, this problem has me doubting my basic understanding of everything .

When bleeding the brakes, I have a tube around the bleed nipple that goes into a bottle, the tube is submerged in brake fluid. Often times I am bleeding and I will see bubbles in the bottle of fluid and not in the tube itself. I have always assumed that bubbles in the fluid bottle was normal as that is just air that was in the tube being pushed out. Is this correct or incorrect?

Comment

The bubbles are being pushed out of the brakes lines while they are being bleed. You want a small hole drilled in your bottle cap for that little bit of air to escape, maybe thats why you are seeing the bubbles in the bottle??
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
              This is another stupid question but, this problem has me doubting my basic understanding of everything .

When bleeding the brakes, I have a tube around the bleed nipple that goes into a bottle, the tube is submerged in brake fluid. Often times I am bleeding and I will see bubbles in the bottle of fluid and not in the tube itself. I have always assumed that bubbles in the fluid bottle was normal as that is just air that was in the tube being pushed out. Is this correct or incorrect?
              This is correct. The bubbles would come directly out of the nipple into the tube if they were coming out of the brake caliper. I assume you're using a pressure bleeder on the reservoir?
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

This is correct. The bubbles would come directly out of the nipple into the tube if they were coming out of the brake caliper. I assume you're using a pressure bleeder on the reservoir?
                Correct. Pressure bleeder. 20psi

Comment

Are you sure you don't have air in the system - including ABS?

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
                    Are you sure you don't have air in the system - including ABS?
                    Flushed 1L through the whole system. Pretty sure the whole system is 500ml capacity.

I did so the ABS bleed as well with foxwell tool.

Am I sure? No. But open to ways to be sure.

Comment

Flushed 1L through the whole system. Pretty sure the whole system is 500ml capacity.

I did so the ABS bleed as well with foxwell tool.

Am I sure? No. But open to ways to be sure.

Tey tapping hard on the caliper with a rubber mallet a few times and see what happens. My get quite a few bubbles out. I didn't think it would do anything but I did it on mine and got alot, I was suprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Tey tapping hard on the caliper with a rubber mallet a few times and see what happens. My get quite a few bubbles out. I didn't think it would do anything but I did it on mine and got alot, I was suprised.
                        Yup! I always tap on the caliper during the bleeding process.

Comment

Yup! I always tap on the caliper during the bleeding process.

Ah. Well then, is it possible your pads are glazed or something? Have you looked at the condition of the pads? Being that it started suddenly at the end of a track day, I would start there or look for a seized piston (though that might have other symptoms too like pulling).
                          When you say pedal goes long, is it actually softer or does it just need to go further to give the same bite?

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Ah. Well then, is it possible your pads are glazed or something? Have you looked at the condition of the pads? Being that it started suddenly at the end of a track day, I would start there or look for a seized piston (though that might have other symptoms too like pulling).
                            When you say pedal goes long, is it actually softer or does it just need to go further to give the same bite?
                            That's an excellent question. I want to say it just goes longer to achieve the same bite, still finished the track weekend like that.

Our last M3 did not do this but we had ST40 up front. Maybe this is just how the OE calipers behave?

Comment

That's an excellent question. I want to say it just goes longer to achieve the same bite, still finished the track weekend like that.

Our last M3 did not do this but we had ST40 up front. Maybe this is just how the OE calipers behave?

To me that sounds more like a pad/glazing/worn issue. On mine I have noticed it's just sensitive to good bedding, temp etc. I am not a fan of the OE calipers. I never thought they felt particularly nice (though they are extremely easy to modulate) and after driving a 911 it became even more apparent. I really think you might just end up chasing a ghost. Check the pads for wear/overheating (and pistons for seizing) , replace if necessary and maybe think about a nice BBK in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X