Lets Talk Caliper Rebuilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

To me that sounds more like a pad/glazing/worn issue. On mine I have noticed it's just sensitive to good bedding, temp etc. I am not a fan of the OE calipers. I never thought they felt particularly nice (though they are extremely easy to modulate) and after driving a 911 it became even more apparent. I really think you might just end up chasing a ghost. Check the pads for wear/overheating (and pistons for seizing) , replace if necessary and maybe think about a nice BBK in the future.
    Thanks, this is also the opinion I am slowly arriving at. Just want to cover all the bases.

This is the first car with OE brakes we have driven on track. Most have claimed that the OE brakes are good enough on track with decent pads. This car is the experiment to see if we can live with the OE brakes.

So far not very confidence inspiring if this is the brake travel you end up with after 1 day.

Maybe we just need to learn to brake less 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Which pads are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
        Which pads are you using?
        Pagid RS29 is what came with the car. Thinking of going to DTC 60 to get free FCP warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Pagid RS29 is what came with the car. Thinking of going to DTC 60 to get free FCP warranty.

Thinking of that as well. I'm new to track days and was debating HPS vs DTC-60, but was advised to go with HPS as a newbie. But pad wear is insanely bad lol, went through 30% of the HPS in the front in 1 day

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
            Thinking of that as well. I'm new to track days and was debating HPS vs DTC-60, but was advised to go with HPS as a newbie. But pad wear is insanely bad lol, went through 30% of the HPS in the front in 1 day
            Don't even *think* of running HPS or HP+ on a track.

Comment

Have you looked at the faces of the pads and rotors? FWIW - I don't think they are your problems.

Your reported symptoms are most often air in the system (lines, ABS or calipers). Much less often a MC problem.

BTW - I would avoid all Hawk pads and stick with PFC or good Pagids

Comment

Your reported symptoms are most often air in the system (lines, ABS or calipers). Much less often a MC problem.
                Agreed. I had the same symptoms. I did a two-man bleed with the Motive pressure bleeder (i.e. used together). Make sure that second person knows what they're doing (you'd be surprised).

FYI, I've heard that this can cause issues with the MC, but I'm not sure anyone has actually had problems or if it's just theoretical internet fear mongering. It worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Agreed. I had the same symptoms. I did a two-man bleed with the Motive pressure bleeder (i.e. used together). Make sure that second person knows what they're doing (you'd be surprised).

FYI, I've heard that this can cause issues with the MC, but I'm not sure anyone has actually had problems or if it's just theoretical internet fear mongering. It worked for me.
                  Guess I'm not following how air would enter the system during a track day. They were working well all day until the end of the day. Unless the reservoir went dry (which it sounds like it did not).

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Guess I'm not following how air would enter the system during a track day. They were working well all day until the end of the day. Unless the reservoir went dry (which it sounds like it did not).
                    This is what is puzzling me too. Reservoir was filled the whole time.

If there was a leak in the system at 2000psi you'd definitely know really quick.

Comment

The air comes from water in the brake fluid boiling off. During a track day, this is more likely to happen due to the amount of heat generated.
                      Once it's in the lines, I found it's a PITA to remove.

Did you flush out the clutch line?

Comment

The air comes from water in the brake fluid boiling off. During a track day, this is more likely to happen due to the amount of heat generated.

Any words of wisdom on how to remove the air from the boiled fluid?

Our car is SMG so the clutch slave is operated hydraulically with the Pentosin fluid, it is not fed from the brake fluid reservoir.

Even on a manual car the clutch hydraulics shouldn't affect braking. The system is fed off of the brake fluid reservoir but it does not share any other part of the system.

Comment

The chance of him boiling SRF is extraordinarily low - unless it wasn't a full system flush and there was some old or lower boiling point fluid still in the system.

ETA: Or if he seized a caliper.
                          Last edited by Estoril; 07-13-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

The chance of him boiling SRF is extraordinarily low - unless it wasn't a full system flush and there was some old or lower boiling point fluid still in the system.
                            It was a full flush with SRF. Previous fluid that was in there was Motul rbf 600.

Comment

It was a full flush with SRF. Previous fluid that was in there was Motul rbf 600.

Then boiled fluid isn't the issue.

Comment

Then boiled fluid isn't the issue.
                                OK, then do you still think there is air in the system, and if so, where did it come from?

Comment

Working...
                                X