Supersprint quality control issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

1700 bucks for parts that may or may not fit isn't a good deal. Epic stopped making their headers a while ago. I just scored a development set from ARH so I'm going that route to pair up with the SS 2.5" Sec 1 and 2. I don't see why you couldn't cut from the collectors back on the CPI's and make them 2.5" OD. However, the reason why SSV1's make their power is because of the location of the steps and the severity of them. CPI is single stepped and it's mild in comparison. So it won't match but we're talking 5-10 hp on a car that has less torque than a new Camry.
    Valid points. I was hoping Epic was still producing their headers since they are still listed on the BW website. Cutting after the collector on the CPI's to make them 2.5" OD is probably what I'll end up doing.

Are your development ARH 6-to-1 and if so, are you keeping them that way or tinkering with them to make them 3-to-1?
    Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Originally posted by SWRT_M3 View Post

Valid points. I was hoping Epic was still producing their headers since they are still listed on the BW website. Cutting after the collector on the CPI's to make them 2.5" OD is probably what I'll end up doing.

Are your development ARH 6-to-1 and if so, are you keeping them that way or tinkering with them to make them 3-to-1?
      No the headers I picked up are a set of Epic Headers they were using for testing. They're kinda hacked I won't lie but they don't exist anymore so we gotta do what we gotta do lol
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

1700 bucks for parts that may or may not fit isn't a good deal. Epic stopped making their headers a while ago. I just scored a development set from ARH so I'm going that route to pair up with the SS 2.5" Sec 1 and 2. I don't see why you couldn't cut from the collectors back on the CPI's and make them 2.5" OD. However, the reason why SSV1's make their power is because of the location of the steps and the severity of them. CPI is single stepped and it's mild in comparison. So it won't match but we're talking 5-10 hp on a car that has less torque than a new Camry.
        the SSV1 look like a single step of one pipe size as do the CPI. dont know exact tube size as old site info is lost. the difference seems to be the CPI steps are telescoped/slip fit where as on the SS the small pipe is swedged/expanded to the larger size which means on the CPI its a sharp edge for reverse flow but SS are in effectradiused
        Last edited by digger; 07-22-2020, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Torque is where the CPIs really suffer compared to the V1s (low and mid range power). Epics and ARHs, too, for that matter.

I see zero reason to run CPI or ARH over OE euro. OE euro makes better power, is cheaper, and has flawless build quality/fitment.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Torque is where the CPIs really suffer compared to the V1s (low and mid range power). Epics and ARHs, too, for that matter.

I see zero reason to run CPI or ARH over OE euro. OE euro makes better power, is cheaper, and has flawless build quality/fitment.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	236985-flawlessvictory.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	44740

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	236985-flawlessvictory.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	44740
              Lol
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

Is anyone having problems with the welds on their SS mufflers? These quality control issues are troubling to hear about...
                Big Booty Betty - '02 E46 M3 Coupe

Comment

What is troubling is that SS never replied email I sent...

Comment

Originally posted by BBB View Post
                    Is anyone having problems with the welds on their SS mufflers? These quality control issues are troubling to hear about...
                    I recently bought and installed their street muffler and oversized resonated twin pipe setup, and thankfully I didn't have any issues with the build quality. Both pieces seemed very sturdy and well made. Unfortunately I don't think there was much weight savings as they were a tad bit on the heavier side. In fact, I think the resonated twin pipe felt slightly heavier than the stock unit.

My only gripe during installation was the twin pipe did seem to run a bit short on the passenger side pipe (the one that mates w/ the ring just before it enters the muffler). I had to really tighten down the clamps that mates section 2 to 3 - - almost to the point where I felt like I was gonna break something for them to come together. Once they were all connected, it scooted the muffler a tad bit close to the heat shield that covers the black plastic box that drops down off of the rear floor. I was concerned it would rub and make all kinds of annoying rattle noises, but thankfully it didn't rub and once the exhaust system got up to temperature, I think the materials expanded enough where everything sat properly and wasn't binding.

For these reasons, I think the fitment for brand new parts was a 8/10. Who knows - - maybe after numerous heat cycles and exposure to more heat, the system will "stretch" out and reach its ideal size? I expected a little bit better fitment right out of the box given their amazing reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                      What is troubling is that SS never replied email I sent...
                      Yeah I reached out to them via Facebook and email and still no response. Maybe give them a full week and if still no response.....😬?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I agree. If I didn't land these Epics for a steal I would have just enlarged my existing JVT-R's to fit my 2.5" sections and sent it. Been on the car for 9 years so I can't complain.
                        2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                        2005 BMW ///M3
                        Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                        2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                        2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                        2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that we (ECS Tuning) are working with supersprint to get anyone with this issue taken care of. If anyone else has a issue with these or really any supersprint feel free to reach out to me. But the important thing is they have acknowledged the issue and will be making things right.

Comment

Originally posted by BIllybilly2 View Post
                            Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that we (ECS Tuning) are working with supersprint to get anyone with this issue taken care of. If anyone else has a issue with these or really any supersprint feel free to reach out to me. But the important thing is they have acknowledged the issue and will be making things right.
                            Even for those who did not buy it through ESC? Thank you anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post

Even for those who did not buy it through ESC? Thank you anyway!
                              I emailed a link to this thread to sales@supersprint.com and they responded almost immediately. If you're having issues and didn't get the parts from ECS, maybe try that address.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yup, their welding and QC issues is fairly appalling for the price. Like someone had mentioned, Chinese made Megan's had objectively nicer welding. Not long ago when m3forum was around, I posted ECS photos of supersprint headers and their terrible MIG welds. Sloppy Italian Joe's don't give a rats ass as their sales are probably stable and profitable.

Comment

Working...
                                X