Supersprint quality control issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I contacted SuperSprint as well and received an answer today via FB:

"Dear Slavik thanks for purchasing a Supersprint product. We have come to know about this issue, and we are already working with our distributors to solve the problem, it appears that some headers belonging to the last production batch have run across this production defect. Taking our customers' satisfaction into high consideration, we make you sure we'll replace all the faulty headers: at this purpose, we stay in touch for any action that will be taken. Please accept our apologies for this problem, and we'll make you sure that we'll solve it in the best way possible. Supersprint Team"
    2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Progress.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Here’s some pics of mine torqued down to the head. I unfortunately didn’t inspect them that well when I got them. Didn’t think I had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I emailed a link to this thread to sales@supersprint.com and they responded almost immediately. If you're having issues and didn't get the parts from ECS, maybe try that address.
          I emailed them but on info@supersprint.com and Schmiedmann no reply from either yet. Will see... if it is not happening next week will email again.

Comment

Originally posted by EZE View Post
            Here’s some pics of mine torqued down to the head. I unfortunately didn’t inspect them that well when I got them. Didn’t think I had to.
            Thanks for getting these pics - - I'm assuming your headers should have been fine. If they were as far out of alignment as mine were, I'm sure you would have had a difficult time torquing them down to the point where it was flush with the head as these pipes are pretty sturdy. Not sure if three small bolts threaded to an aluminum head would provide enough force to pull them that far back.

Comment

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the mechanical advantage that a bolt can produce. According to this calculator, one M7 bolt torqued to 11 ft-lbs (14914 Nmm) will provide 10653 N or 2395 lbf of clamp force (using the provided coefficient of friction for steel): https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...orque_calc.htm This document also provides similar numbers for a class 8.8 bolt: https://www.fastenal.com/content/fed...0Fasteners.pdf

So yeah, I think it's totally possibly for the bolts to pull the flanges flush against the head.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Maybe hit the short one with a torch before torquing down? If the gap is big.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  I think you guys are seriously underestimating the mechanical advantage that a bolt can produce. According to this calculator, one M7 bolt torqued to 11 ft-lbs (14914 Nmm) will provide 10653 N or 2395 lbf of clamp force (using the provided coefficient of friction for steel): https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...orque_calc.htm This document also provides similar numbers for a class 8.8 bolt: https://www.fastenal.com/content/fed...0Fasteners.pdf

So yeah, I think it's totally possibly for the bolts to pull the flanges flush against the head.
                  Maybe...but what about the stress it will put on the welded joints? I'm no materials expert but I would assume this would cause a lot of extra stress on them especially if they will see temperature extremes?

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post

I emailed them but on info@supersprint.com and Schmiedmann no reply from either yet. Will see... if it is not happening next week will email again.
                    Schmeidmann is on vacation and closed. They will be back in the first week of August.

Comment

Originally posted by 2004LSB View Post

Maybe...but what about the stress it will put on the welded joints? I'm no materials expert but I would assume this would cause a lot of extra stress on them especially if they will see temperature extremes?
                      Oh yeah that's definitely a concern. Wouldn't suggest using those headers, but I'm sure the bolts would have no issue pulling them flush against the head.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Have the full system on mine and everything fitted 100 % spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post
                          I contacted SuperSprint as well and received an answer today via FB:

"Dear Slavik thanks for purchasing a Supersprint product. We have come to know about this issue, and we are already working with our distributors to solve the problem, it appears that some headers belonging to the last production batch have run across this production defect. Taking our customers' satisfaction into high consideration, we make you sure we'll replace all the faulty headers: at this purpose, we stay in touch for any action that will be taken. Please accept our apologies for this problem, and we'll make you sure that we'll solve it in the best way possible. Supersprint Team"
                          Stand up reply.

I would probably not install the ones with slightly off collector. Will bolt up tight but will likely cause extra stress on it and possible cause issues longer time down the line. Im sure a lot of cracked SS issues are due installation type errors. Not loosening up the whole system and just installing a single piece and forcing it until you get the bolt tight. over time that pulling stress takes its toll. Just think about how much play the headers have to move around when they are on the studs. By the time that little amount of play gets donw the where it meets sc 1 you can have an inch or two of difference in location.
                          2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                          2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                          2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, I have a set of CPI's sitting on a shelf, to be installed. Is it worth offloading them and just going euro setup? I didn't pay too much over the cost of OEM, but if Euro's perform better, I'd happily change my plans.

Comment

Originally posted by jacketedlobster View Post
                              Not to hijack the thread, I have a set of CPI's sitting on a shelf, to be installed. Is it worth offloading them and just going euro setup? I didn't pay too much over the cost of OEM, but if Euro's perform better, I'd happily change my plans.
                              Change your plans. 👍🏻

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

🙏 Love that we have the forum back!

Comment

Working...
                                X