No announcement yet.

Supersprint quality control issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubtful it's covid related, the section 2 I got from them two years ago was similar. Welds worse than a Manzo exhaust, and the mounting tab welds cracked. Chinese junk at Italian prices.

Comment

So IF SS continues to produce parts we don't want to use whats the next best header (maybe a bad question)?
      Is the CPI stepped any good? I see that it will connect to either a SS Sec.1 or a US/Euro Sec. 1.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

I emailed them and schmiedmann yesterday with description and photos. Nothing back yet. I got mine pre Covid... like December. And never checked as I thought SS not eBay headers.

Comment

That sucks. Mine from the 2017 (?) group buy were perfect .. welds, fitment and all. Wonder if they’ve had some staff turnover or trying to increase volume beyond their capacity. Actually I just remembered there was a recent (last year) thread on m5board too where the guys muffler tips were totally misaligned on one side, I figured it was a fluke or shipping damage. Sounds like they need to rethink their QC department a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            So IF SS continues to produce parts we don't want to use whats the next best header (maybe a bad question)?
            Is the CPI stepped any good? I see that it will connect to either a SS Sec.1 or a US/Euro Sec. 1.
            CPI stepped make crappy power-- worse than eBay euro reps at low RPM, similar at high rpm.

SSV1s are in a class of 1 for power output.

Next best for power is probably OE Euro-- which is guaranteed, by definition, to have OE fitment and build quality

I think people can probably give SS a bit of time to respond, here-- they've been making these successfully for almost 20 years. One bad batch, likely produced during peak Covid in Italy if you think about the timing, doesn't necessarily mean the brand is ruined (as much as it sucks for the people that got them and now have to wait again).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I have already forwarded this thread to SS. Schmeidmann is closed right now for summer vacations.

Comment

I too sent an email to them through their website and reached out to them on Facebook directing them to this thread. Hopefully this will be a simple fix👍!

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

CPI stepped make crappy power-- worse than eBay euro reps at low RPM, similar at high rpm.

SSV1s are in a class of 1 for power output.

Next best for power is probably OE Euro-- which is guaranteed, by definition, to have OE fitment and build quality

I think people can probably give SS a bit of time to respond, here-- they've been making these successfully for almost 20 years. One bad batch, likely produced during peak Covid in Italy if you think about the timing, doesn't necessarily mean the brand is ruined (as much as it sucks for the people that got them and now have to wait again).
                  Yep agreed - - I too want to give them the benefit of the doubt here. The next best thing really are the factory Euro pieces - - great bang for the buck, and never have to worry about fitment or durability issues👍.

Comment

It's not one bad batch, it's their shit MIG welding skills. I've seen pretty much every SS part eventually fail which is sad considering how much they charge.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                      It's not one bad batch, it's their shit MIG welding skills. I've seen pretty much every SS part eventually fail which is sad considering how much they charge.
                      Define "eventually"?

I'm coming up on 10 years on most of my supersprint parts (swapped out their single tube section 2 for their twin tube section 2 two years ago, so it's younger), and none of them have failed-- including a fair bit of track use. A friends M5 is full supersprint for a decade, zero failures. In fact, of everyone I know with SS parts, I've seen no failures (mentioned those to specific cars because their SS parts have high mileage and track use).

In an infinite time frame, you're certainly right. That said, so will stock. As will the planet :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                        the SS stuff looks TIG welded, though i have seen some of their other products that looks MIG'd. the type of process has little to do with flanges being installed incorrectly though when its that far out.

Comment

Originally posted by EZE View Post
                          I got mine from Scheidmann as well but installed without checking. Will try to get some pictures tomorrow but I seemed flush after I installed.
                          Really not looking forward to loosening and tightening those bolts again.
                          These are individual tube headers that don't have one-piece flanges. A company like this is going to have their flanges fastened to a jig (so position is the same every time) and tubes moved around in a "positioner". Understand that stainless steel has some "bounce back" as a material.
                          Once you mount it with exhaust gaskets it's going to pull into the head when it's torqued down. I would be very surprised if you're not completely fine. If the flange "plane" (angle) was way off then you'd have exhaust flow angles being "cheated".

6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

yes SS sucks! sell me what ever parts yall have
                            • 2006 AW/IR Manual
                            • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
                            • Supersprint
                            • KW V3
                            • 996 Brembo
                            • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Define "eventually"?

I'm coming up on 10 years on most of my supersprint parts (swapped out their single tube section 2 for their twin tube section 2 two years ago, so it's younger), and none of them have failed-- including a fair bit of track use. A friends M5 is full supersprint for a decade, zero failures. In fact, of everyone I know with SS parts, I've seen no failures (mentioned those to specific cars because their SS parts have high mileage and track use).

In an infinite time frame, you're certainly right. That said, so will stock. As will the planet :P
                              Mounting bracket on the SS section 2 x-pipe cracked within a year of track abuse. For comparison, the flimsy brackets on the $130 ebay muffler held for two+ years. The car does not see street use and is stored in a garage.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                                These are individual tube headers that don't have one-piece flanges. A company like this is going to have their flanges fastened to a jig (so position is the same every time) and tubes moved around in a "positioner". Understand that stainless steel has some "bounce back" as a material.
                                Once you mount it with exhaust gaskets it's going to pull into the head when it's torqued down. I would be very surprised if you're not completely fine. If the flange "plane" (angle) was way off then you'd have exhaust flow angles being "cheated".

individual tubes do move some compared to a single flange like ARH (has its own issues) or pair or flanges but you dont really want to over stress them so they need to be pretty close

Comment

Working...
                                X