• Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you can go looooooowwwww Ian.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. If you're looking for a budget friendly street ride, shock/spring + stock hats is your best option. If you're looking for double duty there are other options for around the same price. Of those, i'd recommend the st xta. Sure, there is a limit in performance with budget coilovers and when I reach that limit is when ill slap on the full aero, slicks, and mcs 2-ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

With a lot of effort and some fabrication, the Ohlins can be made to be a great dual purpose (street/track) setup. The TCKs are much better out of the box and in terms of... ease of getting them set up and working properly. It's pretty hard to install TCKs and not have them be great.

... but the Ohlins are coming off my car this winter...
        Oooooo - Is this one of those things we're going to need to wait and find out what you're going with next?

Comment

Originally posted by j0nwall View Post

Oooooo - Is this one of those things we're going to need to wait and find out what you're going with next?
          FCM stage 3.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

FCM stage 3.
            That's awesome! I'm really looking forward to your feedback on that.

Comment

Originally posted by jk715 View Post
              Different strokes for different folks. If you're looking for a budget friendly street ride, shock/spring + stock hats is your best option. If you're looking for double duty there are other options for around the same price. Of those, i'd recommend the st xta. Sure, there is a limit in performance with budget coilovers and when I reach that limit is when ill slap on the full aero, slicks, and mcs 2-ways.
              I'd argue you lower the limits of your car putting crap like that on. No offense. Just those spring rates alone are alarming. There's a huge spectrum between stance-bro coilovers and going "full aero, slicks, and mcs 2-ways" so I'm not sure what the logic in that is.

But at the end of the day, if you like it, then you like it.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I'd argue you lower the limits of your car putting crap like that on. No offense. Just those spring rates alone are alarming. There's a huge spectrum between stance-bro coilovers and going "full aero, slicks, and mcs 2-ways" so I'm not sure what the logic in that is.

But at the end of the day, if you like it, then you like it.
                I wouldn’t call them crap since my PB improved by 3 seconds with just the ST XTA coilovers compared to stock. Camber adjustments alone made a 2 sec difference which come with the coilovers. I’m not saying they’re the best but for the price, I’d like to see another setup that can increase the cars limits the same.

As for spring rates, i agree that the rear progressive springs are crap and should be replaced with linear 6” 2.5” ID 500# - 700# springs.

I understand the stigma with stance boy coilovers but these are not in that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jk715 View Post

I wouldn’t call them crap since my PB improved by 3 seconds with just the ST XTA coilovers compared to stock. Camber adjustments alone made a 2 sec difference which come with the coilovers. I’m not saying they’re the best but for the price, I’d like to see another setup that can increase the cars limits the same.

As for spring rates, i agree that the rear progressive springs are crap and should be replaced with linear 6” 2.5” ID 500# - 700# springs.

I understand the stigma with stance boy coilovers but these are not in that category.

Long since worn out stock without camber plates is not a high bar starting point to compare to :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Long since worn out stock without camber plates is not a high bar starting point to compare to :P
                    True, but the fact that these come with plates for a low price of ~$1300 ( i found them for $1k a few years back) is really hard to beat.

FYI, i am nearing the limits on these coilovers but that’s not without extensive work and seat time. The limits will be the rear springs, tires, and ultimately valving ( tbd ) assuming other maintenance is done.

Comment

Wow this thread took off. OP here.. you guys scared me off and I stuck with Dinan/Koni Yellow. Still love the ride and I’m fine with the ride height. Nice to see some active discussion on the topic though.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

This is helpful. Thanks. Mind sharing why you went with Ohlins vs. TCK?

Jesse
                        Sure. It was for a couple subjective reasons:

1. Ohlins reputation.
                        2. On paper they met my requisites (high end damper, springs that work with stock mounts IE no heim joints, designed with street use in mind)
                        3. Wanted to sample them for myself so I can speak firsthand, rather than just repeat forum hyperbole.
                        4. I don't like overlap in my cars and since my E36 has TCK DA's already, I wanted this E46 to be a different driving experience.

Fast forward to now that I have sold off a few of my M cars, and soon parting with the E36 as well, I am trying to consolidate the best of all my cars into a single E46; that wholeheartedly includes the way the car drives with TCK's. And given that i've been underwhelmed by the Ohlins anyways, i've literally been waiting a full year now for TCK to get E46 DA's back in stock. I don't regret buying the Ohlins but will not look back that fondly either.

Originally posted by D-O View Post

Many thanks. My car is street only. Would you feel that the TCK SA kit is sufficient for a street only car, or is the DA kit worth the extra on the street?

Jesse
                        SA is more than sufficient. It's hard to convey to people that the cheaper route is effectively just as good.. but my favorite handling BMW was on SA's (E36 M3 on 300/400 with Eibach sways and a killer alignment). 100% street car and it was just so dialed in at everything from breaking local laws to comfortable cross country road trips. TC will tell you the DA's have "higher end motorsport internals and are just better all around". Probably true. I've had three sets of DA's on various cars since so my butt dyno has all but forgotten how the SA's feel in direct comparison but if I put my own bullshit aside I know I could just order the SA's tomorrow and be perfectly happy. Splurge on the DA if you have extra $ to burn but don't feel you've bought something inferior if you get the SA. You effectively just give up a little extra cush at the soft end and a little extra sharpness at the stiff end but the dirty truth is once you get the dampers set after install, you'll probably never adjust them again. I don't fiddle with mine. Car drives like a dream even when driven back to back with modern sports cars.
                        Last edited by jvit27; 09-21-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Im gonna hijack this thread and ask for a personal recommendation. Currently on koni/eibach but im looking for an upgrade. I like to hit the track at least 8 times per season. My car isn't a daily driver but it is driven on the street a lot.

I have heard nothing but good things about KW V3. Currently my top choice.

Ohlins R+T

KW CS 2 way

I think the CS will be too aggressive for my car. Curious as to what you guys think.

Comment

Don't get KWV3s to track. TCK D/As or S/As will be better. Or GCs. Or the Ohlins, with some effort.

The V2s/V3s are a good option if you want to slam your shit. If you want your car to ride and handle, there's better options out there.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Don't get KWV3s to track. TCK D/As or S/As will be better. Or GCs. Or the Ohlins, with some effort.

The V2s/V3s are a good option if you want to slam your shit. If you want your car to ride and handle, there's better options out there.
                              Yeah I couldn't care less for slamming it lol. Unfortunately TCK DA is out of budget. The major downside with GC and TCK SA is that the rear must be adjusted off the car. Why do you say Ohlins needs some effort to get nice on track? I need some schooling on coilovers. I have read through many posts (honestly most of them are yours ) and I think i'm getting the hang of it but im not nearly experienced enough to make the decision on my own.

Comment

I've had V1's on a mini clubman and they were pretty ok. I had V2's on an E34 M5 and they were good. I've ridden in a few E46 M3's on V3's and they all rode super harsh/horrible on the street. I don't get it, they are super popular over in Germany, almost the gold standard there. To me they are as good as BC's (and I'm NOT a BC fanboy) but 2x or even 3x the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X