Coilover Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilover Recommendation

Hey guys, I’m basically looking for a Coilover setup that won’t ruin ride quality. I currently have Dinan Springs and shocks (Koni Yellow) with Turner sways and the ride is very comfortable. I’d like height adjustability and obviously improved handling but won’t be heavily tracking the car, if ever.

Recommendations appreciated. Thanks for setting up the new forum. 👍🏼

Ground Control Spring Kits This spring kit gives you the option to customize the ride height of your vehicle. After several years of use in racing applications, Ground Control spring kits have been adapted for street use. Most other spring kits offer only one set ride height when installed. The Ground Control system's

Koni Yellows are very streetable, why not repurpose what you have? All you would need to do is get a street-appropriate spring rate and some adjusters. Unfortunately your Dinan springs aren't the correct style for a coilover. If that sounds good I'd give GC a call.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Wasn’t aware this was an option, very cool. I’ll have a discussion with them about spring rate. Thanks!

Comment

KW v2/v3 makes a very street-friendly setup, as does Bilstein PSS10s - as long as you don't slam the car. Those two would be my go-to for an OEM++ setup. Personally I like the Bilstien mono-tube damper design better...

P.S. I run ground-control sleeves with custom rate Eibach springs and custom valved Bilsteins dampers on my race car - it's a great setup. Just need to make sure your spring rates are compatible with your dampers valving or you'll have a sad panda. But out of the box, bolt on to the car and go - the PSS10s or V2/V3s is a great option.
        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
        Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

I have run TC Kline SA’s for over a decade on the car (replaced a set). They are awesome.

Comment

Ohlins, bilsteins/HR with linear springs, TCK d/as, KWv3 with linear springs, eibach kit
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I enjoy the Ohlins a lot. Check them out from 3DmMotorsport because Barry is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
              2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Lots of opinions here, thank you.

What are the downsides of the GC conversion versus a “full” coilover?

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Spackler View Post
                  Lots of opinions here, thank you.

What are the downsides of the GC conversion versus a “full” coilover?
                  Stock bump travel IIRC.

why do you want adjustable ride height?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Mostly aesthetics. I have a daily and share a different track car. Want to lose the gap, keep ride quality and any improved handling is a bonus.

Comment

Get some cheap H&Rs or kwv1 aka ST then. OR BC or the other asian made ones.
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

The dude literally wants to adjust ride height for cruising around town, dropping $3k on a set of Ohlins R&T is a good suggestion? Some of the responses in here are wild.

I'd take Koni shocks (either Yellows or GC/TCK) over KW/ST, H&R or BC any day.

Comment

Eibach Pro-Street S coilovers. The included springs (400/450) are firm rather than harsh, and it will be neutral and predictable with suitable tires and alignment.

Jesse
                          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Pretty much every setup has been mentioned here. Probably because suspension feel is subjective.

I have Koni yellows on the car in good shape. Trying to figure out how much there is to gain/lose with a $1200 Coilover vs the conversion at $500. There was mention of loss of bump travel but is it to the point of actually feeling it on the street?
                            Last edited by Carl Spackler; 03-31-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I think people read "coilover" then blackout and pimp their favorite brand, regardless of whether it even makes sense for the use case. For the bumpstop details, call GC and ask. They custom make their bump stops and they're very familiar with Koni.

Comment

Working...
                              X