No announcement yet.

Coilover Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like someone else posted and first thing that comes to mind is possibly going with the Ground Control retrofit spring kit.

You really do have a nice set-up now for street. Depending also on how low you want to go you can buy the
    deep cup spring/strut hats. Car will sit lower in the front but have same travel using same struts and spring you have now. This however doesn't fix the rear height and it's also not adjustable height.

Next suggestion would be to sell what you have and get the Bilstein PSS10 kit. Struts/shocks are compression & rebound adjustable from a twist of a knob and the springs are "progressive rate" for a better street feel and completely height adjustable. These are also lifetime warranty.
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Spackler View Post
      Mostly aesthetics. I have a daily and share a different track car. Want to lose the gap, keep ride quality and any improved handling is a bonus.
      Then the gc coilover conversion is a bad route to go because it doesn’t increase bump travel.

That said, you’re going to degrade handling going lower than the Dinan’s either way. The GCs will also degrade ride quality (going that low without increasing bump travel).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
        I enjoy the Ohlins a lot. Check them out from 3DmMotorsport because Barry is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help!
        Second this Barry is the man!👍Ohlins are excellent

Comment

I would not go with bilstein based on the experience a friend had. He had a leak develop in one of the rear shocks, sent them to be rebuilt and was told they don’t make all the parts re-build the complete shock. Asked if he could buy one shock and was told they don’t sell single shocks that are in the coilover kits, you would have to buy the entire coilover set again. I’m glad they were on back order last year as I would have ended up with them.

I went with KW V3s instead, very happy with them. Excellent customer service and they sell all the parts to do a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post
            I would not go with bilstein based on the experience a friend had. He had a leak develop in one of the rear shocks, sent them to be rebuilt and was told they don’t make all the parts re-build the complete shock. Asked if he could buy one shock and was told they don’t sell single shocks that are in the coilover kits, you would have to buy the entire coilover set again. I’m glad they were on back order last year as I would have ended up with them.

I went with KW V3s instead, very happy with them. Excellent customer service and they sell all the parts to do a rebuild.
            KWV3s are a decent setup.

V2s and V1s/STs... are more show than go...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

how about ISC for best bang of the buck coils?

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch55 View Post
                how about ISC for best bang of the buck coils?
                Imo there are no good “cheap” coilover options. If you’re at that price point, Dinan springs with koni yellows are pretty great.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post
                  BILSTEIN are Lifetime Warranty (to original buyer). They'll either replace or rebuild. Have not ever heard before about them not rebuilding. Pretty sure the place that rebuilds them in NA is in San Diego(maybe used for Koni also). Bilstein and Koni have had the best warranty in the industry.
                  But good to know about your friend's experience. Was this claim of his under the Lifetime Warranty to OP?
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

dont think he got paid to review the ISC coils.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Imo there are no good “cheap” coilover options. If you’re at that price point, Dinan springs with koni yellows are pretty great.

Comment

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=986840

With "linear rate" springs and camber plates it's not going to be as forgiving as the Bilstein PSS10 kit. The Dinan springs and "Dinan" Koni Sports he has now are one of the best Street-Sport combo out.
                      Not saying he would hate this kit you linked. Just from where he's coming from and wanting mostly the height adjustment it doesn't seem as good a fit as another.

Comment

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=986840

Most people have no idea what a good suspension actually is, so... I'm generally dubious of reviews to start with.

... and doubly so when it's someone that was happy running original shocks till 145,000 miles.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I love that these threads are back. I missed reading all the opinions.

KW would be my street setup of choice. Comfortable enough with height adjustment and if you decide to switch to something else, fine in terms of resale.
                          2006 BMW M3 / Interlagos Blue / 6SPD
                          2012 BMW M3 / Santorini Blue / DCT

Comment

N00b tryingto work out my next suspension setup.
                            My car had pre-installed ST Suspension kit, https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...it-bmw-e46-m3/

Needless to say its shot. I want to replace my suspension during my rear end refresh.
                            Street use only, but I do plan on doing light track duty.
                            ECS is running a 20% discount on the Konis right now @ $650; https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par...kit/e46m3koni/

Any recommendations for springs? Ground control has a nice eibosch kit paired with the Konis, drop in ready.
                            Should I replace the end lnks and or the camber plates? Ground control has plates for $400 but I doubt it fits my application.
                            Front and rear Hotchkis sway bars installed.

I'd like to retain the height and street friendly ride.
                            Anyone open for a call? I'll quickpay you enough for a decent twelve pack, need input from someone more knowledgeable

Here's my current setup:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	01515_iC6nYUFhep9_1200x900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	5509
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by cudzich09; 04-01-2020, 07:42 PM.
                            2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

Ground Control single adjustable and TCKline SA are your starting points price-wise. Next step up is GC/TCK double adjustables or Ohlins R&T. Do you have a budget?

Also, out of curiosity, what makes you say your ST kit is shot?
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                                Ground Control single adjustable and TCKline SA are your starting points price-wise. Next step up is GC/TCK double adjustables or Ohlins R&T. Do you have a budget?

Also, out of curiosity, what makes you say your ST kit is shot?
                                Budget: $1-2k

Thanks for the input, I'll start browsing the net for prices and reviews based on your recommendation.

As for the ST's, driving under uneven surfaces, bumps, or potholes produces a thump/compression noise from the shocks that I have been able to reproduce by standing on the door sills and rocking the car back and forth. I have really enjoyed the ST suspension up to this point, exact replacement is an option.

My initial plan was to send the kit to KW for a rebuild, but the prices are nearly the same as purchasing a brand new kit, which includes end-links/springs...
                                2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

Working...
                                X