No announcement yet.

Coilover Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comes with camber plates and everything else.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
      BILSTEIN are Lifetime Warranty (to original buyer). They'll either replace or rebuild. Have not ever heard before about them not rebuilding. Pretty sure the place that rebuilds them in NA is in San Diego(maybe used for Koni also). Bilstein and Koni have had the best warranty in the industry.
      But good to know about your friend's experience. Was this claim of his under the Lifetime Warranty to OP?
      Sure was. No way I would go with them after that experience.

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post
        Sure was. No way I would go with them after that experience.
        So he was the original purchaser with receipts and you're saying Bilstein would not warranty his leaking shock?
        Was it leaking from being in an accident/damage or normal wear and tear.
        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Just to roll around town and get groceries, I'd go with MCS, at least 2-way.

If mostly what you care about are aesthetics (sounds like) i.e. you want a more slammed look than what you have now, why not just heat/bend/cut the coil to appropriate static height to make sure you can fit and not rub your preferred wheel/tire combo or get a shorter spring (damper piston travel will accommodate and by the time they blow you will replace them). I think people jump to coilovers way prematurely because this one dude and this other dude got them and they like them. Coilovers in most cases are synonymous to people wanting power seats when they buy the cars because they are going to adjust them.....maybe once in the lifetime of the car on day 1.

Just my rattle.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

^LOL, i like how you started off the first sentence.

Comment

With "linear rate" springs and camber plates it's not going to be as forgiving as the Bilstein PSS10 kit. The Dinan springs and "Dinan" Koni Sports he has now are one of the best Street-Sport combo out.
              Not saying he would hate this kit you linked. Just from where he's coming from and wanting mostly the height adjustment it doesn't seem as good a fit as another.
              PSS10 rear springs are linear for whatever it's worth. Not that I'd consider them forgiving in any sense of the word.

Comment

So he was the original purchaser with receipts and you're saying Bilstein would not warranty his leaking shock?
                Was it leaking from being in an accident/damage or normal wear and tear.
                Yes, lifetime does not usually mean lifetime on most things. The part that had an issue was not a part the make for rebuilds, buy the whole set again was the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                  PSS10 rear springs are linear for whatever it's worth. Not that I'd consider them forgiving in any sense of the word.
                  Nah I don't think that's correct. You can see here they're "progressive wound" and not "linear". Also it even states they are. Having mixed "progressive rate" and "linear rate" isn't really advised.
                  https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...=&cat=CoilOver

I'd post a photo but it keeps showing errors and won't allow.
                  Last edited by old///MFanatic; 04-03-2020, 10:32 AM.
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Nah I don't think that's correct. You can see here they're "progressive wound" and not "linear". Also it even states they are. Having mixed "progressive rate" and "linear rate" isn't really advised.

Yes, and the varying diameter of the wound coils are a good clue to a progressive (non-linear) spring.

Another data point: I went with KW v2 and its an OK setup. I'm not impressed with it nor do I hate it. I really like stainless construction but that's not normally at the top of list of priorities for suspension. In my research on old M3F, I saw more comments suggesting look at the other options than recommending the v2's and this turned out to be a fair presentation in my view.
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I'll have to vote for Eibach prostreets. They're super comofrtable compared to my previous forunate auto, and also in comparison to BC racing and SGT as well as as a couple other coilovers ive experienced in the E46 M3s. theyre very affordable and you can even drop the car low enough to tuck tires.
                      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I mixed it up, it’s the front that’s linear (340 lbs), rear is “up to” 565.

Price has also gone up considerably. They’re not worth $2k imo.

Comment

The Eibach Pro-Street is currently on sale at Tirerack for $1373. Haven't really heard too many bad things about them. If anything, some of the track folks changed out the springs and mentioned they were on the soft side. They also come with new endlinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                            The Eibach Pro-Street is currently on sale at Tirerack for $1373. Haven't really heard too many bad things about them. If anything, some of the track folks changed out the springs and mentioned they were on the soft side. They also come with new endlinks.
                            They came on my m3 wagon. Crap imo— never settle down on the highway, unexceptional on back roads. I replaced them with konis/dinans and the car was immediately dramatically better.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                              I mixed it up, it’s the front that’s linear (340 lbs), rear is “up to” 565.
                              Price has also gone up considerably. They’re not worth $2k imo.
                              Agree the pricing at TR is up there.
                              Still not sure why you think these use "linear rate" springs?
                              Second post by Bilstein even more important about the lb rating of these "Progressive rate" springs.

Comment

OP here. The above link is helpful info. It is sounding like the PSS10s might be a decent balance of comfort and capability. Do the camber plates have an effect on ride? I’d expect taking rubber out and replacing with metal would.

Comment

Working...
                                X