Poor respray results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor respray results?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have had an 04 Jet Black (Schwarz II) e46 coupe for about 4 years now. The previous owners had really neglected the car and the paint suffered. There was clear coat failure all over the roof, hood, quarters, fenders, and front bumper. I have been having panels resprayed one by one over the past few years to fit the budget. I decided to try a different shop for the roof as the quotes from my usual shop have been getting higher and higher over the years, so I found a large shop that is apparently certified by Porsche, MB, and a few other high end makes. I also had them install new rubber gaskets around the front and rear glass. I just got the car back about two weeks ago and upon first inspection the work appeared quite good. Looking closer on the rear edge of the roof, where it turns downward to meet the rubber gasket for the rear glass, the clear coat appears to have flowed poorly. Is this fixable without having them redo the work? I know they offer a warranty on their repairs but I don't know if they would honor it for this (seemingly) minor issue. I am worried that in the near future the clear might start to fail again at this area because of it. Will this cause problems down the road?

I’d be worried just bc when washing you can potentially take a chunk off with a pressure washer since it’s already “peeling”.
    06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

No, this has to be re-done. Poor surface prep is clearly evident here. If left like this, it only going to get worse.
      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by flyingbeemer View Post
        Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have had an 04 Jet Black (Schwarz II) e46 coupe for about 4 years now. The previous owners had really neglected the car and the paint suffered. There was clear coat failure all over the roof, hood, quarters, fenders, and front bumper. I have been having panels resprayed one by one over the past few years to fit the budget. I decided to try a different shop for the roof as the quotes from my usual shop have been getting higher and higher over the years, so I found a large shop that is apparently certified by Porsche, MB, and a few other high end makes. I also had them install new rubber gaskets around the front and rear glass. I just got the car back about two weeks ago and upon first inspection the work appeared quite good. Looking closer on the rear edge of the roof, where it turns downward to meet the rubber gasket for the rear glass, the clear coat appears to have flowed poorly. Is this fixable without having them redo the work? I know they offer a warranty on their repairs but I don't know if they would honor it for this (seemingly) minor issue. I am worried that in the near future the clear might start to fail again at this area because of it. Will this cause problems down the road?
        Take it back to them and have them fix it, its only been two weeks, i understand you paid less but that is still the agreed on price and does not justify it being a crappy half-ass job. Im surprised you didnt catch this sooner as black paint imperfections tend to stand out more.

If the worst comes, take them to small claims and get your money back.

Comment

I was afraid that was going to be the case. I am going to drive over to them this afternoon. And yep, I truly hate this color lol, just touching it scratches it! I would have seen it sooner if it wasn't over that edge that goes into the rubber gasket. I checked the rest of the corners and edges and can't find anything else. The shop is a big local chain, so I hope they will do right by me.

Comment

The others are correct, that will begin flaking off over time. Have it corrected while you are still under warranty.
            '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
            '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
            '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
            '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Sorry to see that, definitely get it sorted or have them pay for another more competent shop if they refuse to get it right. Can't stand shoddy paintwork!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
              2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I just took it in to the body shop and they agreed to redo it next week under warranty, there is clearly a problem with it. They said they will re clear the roof, will that be sufficient (i.e. not touching the base coat)?

Comment

They will be taking off the clear that's on there now, just for clarification.

Comment

No. You have paid your money and that is not acceptable.

Take that back and get it sorted properly.

Edit - just realised you are getting it fixed under warranty - quite rightly so!
                    Last edited by R60BBA; 08-15-2020, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Do you all think it will be sufficient for them to just remove and respray the clear (that is what they said they would do)? Or is the problem deeper, in the base coat or primer?

Edit: also just had my rod bearings replaced ~50 miles ago and am obviously still on the break in period for another 1150 miles. I will tell them not to rev the engine above 4k but am kind of worried they might mess with it. Is there something better I can tell them?
                      Last edited by flyingbeemer; 08-15-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingbeemer View Post
                        Edit: also just had my rod bearings replaced ~50 miles ago and am obviously still on the break in period for another 1150 miles. I will tell them not to rev the engine above 4k but am kind of worried they might mess with it. Is there something better I can tell them?
                        Modify your tune so that the rev limiter is at 4k lol. Nah after I did mine I took it for an alignment (I also changed other things) and asked them not to rev above 3k and explained why to them. The service manager put a large pink piece of paper on the dash that said "no revs past 3k" or something like that. Made me more comfortable that whoever drove it would actually do so.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                        X