Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod Bearing Break-in (hint: there isn't a need)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the harm in breaking in, and changing the oil after 1K?

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
      No harm at all. Maybe it needs to be done, maybe it doesn't. I'm not willing to take that chance though.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Corporate training materials are the final forms they take, regardless of special names or special audiences. Sure, the content may originate from engineers tasked with fixing an issue. But a stream of conscious engineering thought does not land on a piece of paper and get broadcasted to dealerships worldwide. My point is everything goes through various checkpoints, as with anything in Corporatia. In this example, if engineers were truly left to their own devices? There would be steps to measures clearances, and no MPH spec because that means nothing.

I have nothing to gain here. I said there is not a need; I did not say don't follow them. It is good idea to follow all TSBs and associated procedures. It was helpful for someone to post the TSB itself so others searching can see the resources so thanks.

But I am biased towards my own thoughts, crazy as that may sound. I'd rather discover a clearance issue immediately than float through suspended reality for 1,500 miles...
        Ultimately, people can choose what they want to do. That being said, it's highly advisable to follow a procedure that makes perfect sense. I really think that would still be there whether it went through corperate or came directly from engineers.

For the mile an hour, I was thinking 105 may have been at 5500rpm. I'm thinking 5th. It's been a long time since I've driven my M3. 105mph doesn't matter at all for bearings. Break in is different than initial clearance. If you have an issue with that, well, break in ain't gonna help.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
          For the mile an hour, I was thinking 105 may have been at 5500rpm. I'm thinking 5th. It's been a long time since I've driven my M3. 105mph doesn't matter at all for bearings. Break in is different than initial clearance. If you have an issue with that, well, break in ain't gonna help.
          Necessary or not, BMW had three requirements with the new bearings:

No full throttle acceleration..

Do not exceed 5500RPM..

Do not exceed 105mph..

I didn't argue, I just did it.

Last edited by Jimbo's M; 04-05-2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post
            There were three requirements with the new bearings
            I know, posted the TSB. He's just right about the mph. So in reality there's just two. 5500rpm and 1200 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

I know, posted the TSB. He's just right about the mph. So in reality there's just two. 5500rpm and 1200 miles.
              This post got in by mistake. The next one is what I wanted to say.

Comment

This post got in by mistake. The next one is what I wanted to say.
                Ah ok. I missed the no full throttle but that makes sense too. What's the point of a break in if you're putting max load on your engine? Thanks for adding that because that's also quite important.

Comment

Necessary or not, BMW had three requirements with the new bearings:
                  No full throttle acceleration..
                  Do not exceed 5500RPM..
                  Do not exceed 105mph..
                  It’s been a while but don’t recall seeing BMW write “No full throttle acceleration”. My SIB 110404 doesn’t say that, nor did my “Break in Procedure” window sticker. Curious was this added later somewhere?
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
                    For what it’s worth, BMW states to observe the engine Break-In” instructions. But then also states:
                    “Engine oil service is not required after completion of the engine break-in period.”
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                      It’s been a while but don’t recall seeing BMW write “No full throttle acceleration”. My SIB 110404 doesn’t say that, nor did my “Break in Procedure” window sticker. Curious was this added later somewhere?
                      It's been almost twenty years since I went through this, but considering I did it not once, but three times, I imagine I remember it correctly. Whether no WOT was actually for all three times, that I can't be sure of but would imagine that it was.

Comment

For what it’s worth, BMW states to observe the engine Break-In” instructions. But then also states:
                        “Engine oil service is not required after completion of the engine break-in period.”
                        I'm all but certain my oil was changed after all three. Whether they were obligated or not, don't remember.

Comment

It's been almost twenty years since I went through this, but considering I did it not once, but three times, I imagine I remember it correctly. Whether no WOT was actually for all three times, that I can't be sure of but would imagine that it was.
                          I didn't have that listed on mine. It's also nowhere on all my receipts/records. I can't say what your particular dealership said but it still doesn't appear a standard BMW statement from searching documents. The thing with "Warnings signs" is they are something that are highly visible and easily found. Wouldn't be much of a "cover our ass" statement if it's not highly visible and found in documents to public right? *But just because I haven't been able to find it anywhere doesn't mean it's not out there right lol. One would have to imagine no WOT if those other warnings are listed in all fairness.

Comment

I didn't have that listed on mine. It's also nowhere on all my receipts/records. I can't say what your particular dealership said but it still doesn't appear a standard BMW statement from searching documents. The thing with "Warnings signs" is they are something that are highly visible and easily found. Wouldn't be much of a "cover our ass" statement if it's not highly visible and found in documents to public right? *But just because I haven't been able to find it anywhere doesn't mean it's not out there right lol. One would have to imagine no WOT if those other warnings are listed in all fairness.
                            That statement is there in the owner's manual for break in

http://www.linquist.net/system/files/E462004M3.pdf (Page 110)

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Being the original owner I of course still have my manual, but didn't bother to look, but should have. I knew I wasn't imagining it...especially three times. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                                That’s not for the “Rod Bearing” replacement break in. That’s whole brand new engine break-in Terra.

Comment

Working...
                                X