S54 Updated PCV Production date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Updated PCV Production date?

I'm curious when exactly did the S54's PCV get updated from the simple single hose across the intake mani to valve cover, to adding the secondary solenoid. My car is a 2004 car with a 7-15-2004 prod date but strangely enough has the updated more complicated PCV (pictured), which has made my catch-can research interesting. Everything I see online says 2005-2006 cars had the updated PCV, but I cant find anywhere the exact production date that this change happened.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6248.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	53174
    To both mine and the previous owners knowledge my car is all original with the original engine. It's high mileage too so I feel like if the engine was replaced at some point it would be much lower miles and a worthy thing to mention when selling a car.
    Attached Files
    2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
    Instagram
    Youtube

mine is 2004 also has the updated one. I deleted it from the ECU, Removed the selonoid. And replaced it with the simpler part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Build date 4/04
      original simpler style
      2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

RealOEM says the change started 09/04. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3797
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
          mine is 2004 also has the updated one. I deleted it from the ECU, Removed the selonoid. And replaced it with the simpler part.

Interesting, what is your Prod Date?

I didn't know you could do delete it and go back to the simple version! What is the process for that? I much rather have the simple older style and delete the extra solenoid, especially as Im looking to purchase a Radium oil catch can soon.
          Instagram
          Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            RealOEM says the change started 09/04. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3797
            Weird, my car is 07/04 though.
            Instagram
            Youtube

Comment

You can delete but you would have to change or plug you air rail. Euro tune also does not seem to throw a CEL code (yet) for this. I have the radium catch can, the solenoid deleted and the CSL air rail.
              Last edited by e46mpwrd; 08-31-2020, 09:39 AM.
              '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post

Interesting, what is your Prod Date?

I didn't know you could do delete it and go back to the simple version! What is the process for that? I much rather have the simple older style and delete the extra solenoid, especially as Im looking to purchase a Radium oil catch can soon.
                Coding: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...et-pump-delete (if you have BMWFlash I can code this for you if you send me your bin and its stock).
                Vacuum Caps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YJS7G8/ (I also used a zip tie)
                Crankcase Breather Hose: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...se-11157831311

Just disconnect the old parts. Cap off the vacuum line connection on the air rail. Wrap the old electrical connector in some plastic in case you want to revert it. Zip tie it to the bracket. Should be good to go. I get no CEL and no codes after making the coding change.

Comment

Coding: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...et-pump-delete (if you have BMWFlash I can code this for you if you send me your bin and its stock).
                  Vacuum Caps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YJS7G8/ (I also used a zip tie)
                  Crankcase Breather Hose: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...se-11157831311

Just disconnect the old parts. Cap off the vacuum line connection on the air rail. Wrap the old electrical connector in some plastic in case you want to revert it. Zip tie it to the bracket. Should be good to go. I get no CEL and no codes after making the coding change.
                  Awesome thank you! Is there any benefit to going to the old style besides the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Sally/Stupid lol), my car is running as perfect as ever and dont want to risk any hiccups.
                  The reason I brought this up at all was because I was researching oil catch-cans installs. I was thinking even if I dont switch to the simpler old style I can use a J shaped hose that I bought a la carte from ECStuning years ago, that way I wont have to flip around the valve cover nipple 180 degrees and can leave the extra solenoid stuff as it sits. But Im also a fan of a simpler, cleaner look of not having extra hosing bends or the extra solenoid stuff. I'll guess I decide once I actually get the Radium OCC.

BTW I do have my bin but its a TTFS tune along with my own tweaks I did w/ ECUWorx Bin Modification tool, dont know if you'd be able to code it out if I sent you?
                  Instagram
                  Youtube

Comment

Awesome thank you! Is there any benefit to going to the old style besides the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Sally/Stupid lol), my car is running as perfect as ever and dont want to risk any hiccups.
                    The reason I brought this up at all was because I was researching oil catch-cans installs. I was thinking even if I dont switch to the simpler old style I can use a J shaped hose that I bought a la carte from ECStuning years ago, that way I wont have to flip around the valve cover nipple 180 degrees and can leave the extra solenoid stuff as it sits. But Im also a fan of a simpler, cleaner look of not having extra hosing bends or the extra solenoid stuff. I'll guess I decide once I actually get the Radium OCC.

BTW I do have my bin but its a TTFS tune along with my own tweaks I did w/ ECUWorx Bin Modification tool, dont know if you'd be able to code it out if I sent you?
                    I removed mine since I developed a vac leak in one of the hoses and had another car sitting outside with the old style pipe. So I did the delete. If the car is running fine there is no reason to change it out.

Send me the bin in PM. I will look at it and see. I'm sure it won't be an issue. But I would not run the delete'd bin if the solenoid is still there.

Comment

Sorry to bump this up but I still am curious as to why my 07/2004 prod car with original drivetrain has the later updated PCV system, that everywhere I see including RealOEM and ECStuning state is a 09/2004 change. Looking up PCV related parts on ECStuning it'll say 'up to/from 09/2004 production'. Just seems really weird to me. Anyone have a pre 09/2004 prod '04 car that has the updated PCV with extra solenoid?
                      Instagram
                      Youtube

Comment

Sorry to bump this up but I still am curious as to why my 07/2004 prod car with original drivetrain has the later updated PCV system, that everywhere I see including RealOEM and ECStuning state is a 09/2004 change. Looking up PCV related parts on ECStuning it'll say 'up to/from 09/2004 production'. Just seems really weird to me. Anyone have a pre 09/2004 prod '04 car that has the updated PCV with extra solenoid?
                        I think the 9/2004 date is for 6MT cars. Seems like SMG got this change earlier. Mine is a 7/2004 SMG with updated PCV hose.

Comment

I think the 9/2004 date is for 6MT cars. Seems like SMG got this change earlier. Mine is a 7/2004 SMG with updated PCV hose.
                          My car is an original 6MT car though : (

The mystery thickens lol.
                          Instagram
                          Youtube

Comment

I had one on my 6/04 6MT, just went with the older style air rail purely for esthetics after my CSL tune.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Is there a concensus on what the new design accomplished over the old design?

Comment

Working...
                              X