Muffler hanger direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler hanger direction

One of my muffler hangers broke just under one year. As the bolts aren't in the center of the hanger I'm curious if there is now a right and wrong direction to mount the hanger? Do the "shorter" side need to look at the back of the car?
    2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Yes, I refer to the shape as a "K" It's not a perfect K, but one side is a bit flatter than the other if you know what I mean. You can just see it depicted in the REALOEM images. Off memory, the K goes backwards, towards front of car.

I think that's what you mean by shorter side.

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

yes exactly! thanks!
      2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

*edit* Found this online but appears incorrect/different for E46 and maybe only E36 fitment??Click image for larger version  Name:	E36_EXHAUST_HANGER.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	72014
        Last edited by old///MFanatic; 12-08-2020, 12:35 PM.
        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	E36_EXHAUST_HANGER.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	72014
          I think the diagram shows it the other way around no?

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
            I think the diagram shows it the other way around no?
            I thought so too, so wasn’t sure if this is what earlier posts meant. Also it lists this for E36, although the engineering of it should be the same idea between generations.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I just took this off my car earlier this week. Didn’t touch the hangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Wow i installed it backwards this past summer. Always did look a bit off center. Now I know why lmao

Comment

You guys are getting mixed up based on the incorrect UUC image and Inizes picture above in which the hangers have rotated. If you look closer you will see that his hangers are upside down (likely the center bushing is old and worn so they rotate quite easy and gravity is leaving them in that position versus their normal install position with the long flat surface pointing up).

Follow the actual BMW diagram above that TBonem3 posted.

SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
                  E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

good catch thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
                      You guys are getting mixed up based on the incorrect UUC image and Inizes picture above in which the hangers have rotated. If you look closer you will see that his hangers are upside down (likely the center bushing is old and worn so they rotate quite easy and gravity is leaving them in that position versus their normal install position with the long flat surface pointing up).

Follow the actual BMW diagram above that TBonem3 posted.
                      Sorry yeah they rotated on me.

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Ah, good catch!
                        Although the ETK is just a parts catalog, not an installation manual. The TIS is that. From decades of using the ETK you can’t decisively go by an ETK diagram.
                        I’m was just hoping to find the answer as I’m changing my hanger right now and UUC diagram pops up.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                          Ah, good catch!
                          Although the ETK is just a parts catalog, not an installation manual. The TIS is that. From decades of using the ETK you can’t decisively go by an ETK diagram.
                          I’m was just hoping to find the answer as I’m changing my hanger right now and UUC diagram pops up.
                          I guess instead of an arrow pointing... think of it as an open mouth yelling out the back of the car lol

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Well I just replaced my passenger side muffler hanger. On my Supersprint muffler the hanger oriented the way UUC shows it (for E36) won’t even line up with it’s bracket. So there’s that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Does #8 in this picture make a big difference in noise if it goes bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X