Rear Trunk Carpet Trimming for Coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Trunk Carpet Trimming for Coilovers

Searched but couldn't find a whole lot... I'm looking for ideas on how to cut the rear trunk carpet sides cleanly, for easy access to coilover adjusters.

Option 1 (credits to rkneeshaw on E46F, this is from his post): cut holes, then trim with rubber edge trim

Option 2: cut a circular hole, then cap with something like this from McMaster. Thing is, not sure if these are sold at local hardware stores, and it won't sit flush if not against a flat surface.

Just want to see what others have done, before I go ahead and chop mine up

Last edited by timmo; 09-01-2020, 09:32 PM.

I did same as option 1. Fairly easy and I can reach the knobs easily.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here, but what about cutting an access flap and keeping it closed and flush with a couple magnets along the perimeter? Something like this (although you probably don't need to cut this much):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200902-001243_Photos.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	53713
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Just thinking out loud here, but what about cutting an access flap and keeping it closed and flush with a couple magnets along the perimeter? Something like this (although you probably don't need to cut this much)
        This was my solutions (minus magnets). The trim is pretty stiff and holds its previous shape. Hard to even notice the flap unless you know it’s there.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I was initially going to go with edge trim but decided on the flap since it tucks in really nice. Bonus is that I don't have to buy an 18 ft roll of edge trim, just to barely use 1 ft of it

Comment

Subscribed. Very interesting topic and solutions, appreciate all the info for the future. 👍
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I have Fortune's and got the adjustment extenders. I ended up cutting them down to about 3 inches in height, just enough to clear the carpet. I don't know if this is an option for you but it is super clean and a lot less cutting is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnvu View Post
                I have Fortune's and got the adjustment extenders. I ended up cutting them down to about 3 inches in height, just enough to clear the carpet. I don't know if this is an option for you but it is super clean and a lot less cutting is required.
                I have Koni-based dampers so the knobs only go on the adjusters when you want to turn them.

Just got around to taking some pics of what I've done, it's not perfect but it still works. The right side is slightly rearwards but is still fine, but damn I should've cut the left side higher. I could still get to the adjuster but it was pretty tight so I had to make 2 relief cuts for a 2nd flap on top. All in all, not the end of the world since it's still pretty stealth, but I'd definitely recommend taking multiple measurements before cutting.

Comment

I need to do something similar for my Mason GTR Brace. Not sure how to go about it but getting some ideas from this thread. Has anyone done this?
                  '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Another option is using adjustment extenders and poking a small hole out the top. Here is one for Fortune Auto coilovers...

https://www.shop-fortune-auto.com/co...ment-extenders
                    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by e46mpwrd View Post
                      I need to do something similar for my Mason GTR Brace. Not sure how to go about it but getting some ideas from this thread. Has anyone done this?
                      Yes. I had already cut trap doors as described above to reach my shock adjusters. From there, I cut pretty much straight down to the bottom edge.
                      The side panels are very flexible, yet sturdy. I twisted the front end of the panel to clear the Mason bar and put the panels in place.

For the trunk "floor", I used a jigsaw with a special Bosch blade for cutting plastics (link below). For my car, I cut off 2.5" from the front edge. The overlying carpet mat was cut to match using a pair of sharp scissors.

Comment

Finally got around to taking some pics! The rear strut bar was already installed when I got the car but I did the coilover adjustment myself with a drill bit. I had to do it blindly but after multiple measurements it ended up working out lol.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
                          Searched but couldn't find a whole lot... I'm looking for ideas on how to cut the rear trunk carpet sides cleanly, for easy access to coilover adjusters.

Option 1 (credits to rkneeshaw on E46F, this is from his post): cut holes, then trim with rubber edge trim

Option 2: cut a circular hole, then cap with something like this from McMaster. Thing is, not sure if these are sold at local hardware stores, and it won't sit flush if not against a flat surface.

Just want to see what others have done, before I go ahead and chop mine up

That's what I did. Looks just like that

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunG View Post

That's what I did. Looks just like that
                            Would love to do this. How did you determine exactly where to cut? Did you take the trunk liner out in order to cut, or leave it in place?

Comment

Originally posted by arg617 View Post

Would love to do this. How did you determine exactly where to cut? Did you take the trunk liner out in order to cut, or leave it in place?
                              The original owner of the car had already made a smaller cut out that you could barely get your hand into. I used that as a guide to make it larger.

Comment

Working...
                              X