235/265 or 245/275?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

235/265 or 245/275?

I am purchasing some new wheels/tires and would like to to hear some opinions on tire sizing. The wheel sizes are:
    18×8.5 et32
    18×9.5 et22
    I am planning on getting 235/40/18 & 265/35/18 tires.
    I wondered if a 245/275 setup might have any consequences such as DSC issues or rubbing issues. It would seem a wider tire is usually a bit better but I am hesitant to run it too wide. The vehicle has been lowered approximately 1" on coilovers and sees almost exclusively street usage.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

I am running 245/275 on stock 19’s with no problems.

Comment

I have 245/275 on 18x9 and 18x10 EC7s....no problems.

Comment

I run 245/35 , 275/30 on ZCP wheels and my car is lowered 1" . Zero issues .

Comment

No consequences or rubbing going 245/275, it's tried and true. But 235/265 is the CSL spec so there's that. It's totally up to you, but either will work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            I am purchasing some new wheels/tires and would like to to hear some opinions on tire sizing. The wheel sizes are:
            18×8.5 et32
            18×9.5 et22
            I am planning on getting 235/40/18 & 265/35/18 tires.
            I wondered if a 245/275 setup might have any consequences such as DSC issues or rubbing issues. It would seem a wider tire is usually a bit better but I am hesitant to run it too wide. The vehicle has been lowered approximately 1" on coilovers and sees almost exclusively street usage.
            Do you prefer the look of wider tires? Do you need more grip than standard? Are you wanting to change the handling balance?

Comment

For novice drivers, it is best to learn on the stock sized tires. The stock sized PS4 already generates more grip than the PS1 or 2 the car came with. When you start sliding through every corner on track, then start thinking grippier tires and after that, wider wheels and tires. Smaller sized tires usually cost less, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman View Post

Do you prefer the look of wider tires? Do you need more grip than standard? Are you wanting to change the handling balance?
                I prefer the looks a of wider tire and I am sure they will help when the car is tracked (eventually), but I was just a bit anxious going from a 225/255 on the factory 19's to 245/275's on lighter aftermarket 18's. From the sounds of it the vehicle may have quite a difference in handling characteristics which I have become quite familiar with. Although those differences in handling are likely to be for the better with lighter wheels/wider tires.
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

I highly recommend you give this article a read. Written by Billy Johnson. The short explanation for you is that you should take a look at the tires you are considering for your wheels and match their tread width to the wheel width.The standard sizes you see, "245, 255, 265, etc" are not really reliable measurements as they vary so much between manufacturers and even performance categories.

Link: https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-s...r-performance/

Comment

Working...
                  X