Alcantara headliner or stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcantara headliner or stock?

I have a factory slicktop. So the headliner is a bit more rare, and expensive as is the configuration (no sunroof). I baby this car but it was outside in unusual sun/heat while getting construction done on condo. To my dismay the stock headliner separated and needs to be re-glued. My first E46 in 2000 had a sunroof. I think perhaps non-sunroof headliners are closer to roof and thus get exposed to more heat, or maybe not.
    My question is would you stick with the factory headliner, or go Alcantara since taking it out? I feel car value would actually go down with Alcantara vs stock on a slicktop. Interested in hearing thoughts of which to do? Thanks
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

I wrapped both my sunroof headliner and now my slicktop headliner in Alcantara. It is WAY harder to do on the slicktop.

I like it. I did it in the same color (one shade off black) alcantara that BMW uses in their higher end cars. Our M5 came with it stock, which is what really made me want it in the other cars-- it just feels really nice/high quality. And, unlike on the steering wheel or seats, no concern about wear on the headliner/pillars.

I do think it's one of the hardest things to capture the feel of with a picture. Instead of going off a picture, I'd try to track down an M5 (any e39 or e60 with a leather dash) and see how you like it IRL.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

It's a pretty sweet look. My friend did it to his slicktop. He even found somebody in our area that wrapped the headliner, A, B, and C pillars for $250. He bought material for $50. He had professional results for $300.

It's not an easy job. I highly recommend practicing on a junkyard piece before your own stuff.

Comment

Haven't seen it on any E46s but rode along in a couple of Porsches with Alcantara headliners and absolutely loved it. Wish my car had it. It gives the cabin an extremely premium look and feel.
        2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Just re-glueing what's on there never seems to look right, so if you're going to recover it entirely regardless, I'd say go alcantara. Every time I'm in an interior with an alcantara headliner, it just feels like such a nicer place to be. Such a small thing but makes a big difference - one of the reasons I'm drawn to E39 M5s.

As far as value... your car already seems to have a good # of mods, I don't think adding alcantara headliner is going to materially impact what it's worth (perhaps a different story if it was bone stock).

Comment

Another vote for alcantara. I've been considering for my car as well.
            Rich | 2001 E46 M3 | Alpinweiss & Imolarot | 6MT

Comment

Is everyone using the real stuff or is there a good alternative? https://relicate.com/collections/alcantara

Comment

Real stuff here.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Thanks all. Actually I'm accustomed to Alcantara headliners in cars. I do like it, and agree photos never do it justice.
                  I was more on the fence about taking a somewhat expensive rare headliner and covering it in something that wasn't stock appearance. Although now I see the prices are closer to $800 new BMW, down when it was over a $1100 for the darn thing.
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by 8000RPM View Post
                    Is everyone using the real stuff or is there a good alternative? https://relicate.com/collections/alcantara
                    I've used Relicate and they're good

Comment

I think alcantara is good when used sparingly.. same with carbon fiber. The entire headliner is just too much imo

Comment

I’d stick with stock. The factory fabric feels really nice and is very durable when in good condition. It also looks much better and suits the look of the interior imo.

Unless you have that GT race inspired interior look, the alcantara headliner may actually stand out too much

Comment

the cost of the fabric and wrapping of all of the interior pieces, not including removing pieces from the car, was 300 for fabric that was similar to oem and 900 for alcantara. I went with oem. It looks miles better than the sun bleached original fabric and I dont have to worry about brushing all of the fabric in one direction lol. Im sure the alcantara would look nice and i think it feels better than the oem type stuff. You're gonna have to have it recovered, as regluing the original stuff doesn't last long and it wont look perfectly stock unless you buy a new oem headliner. I wouldnt worry about either option effecting value.

Comment

Originally posted by zing View Post
                            the cost of the fabric and wrapping of all of the interior pieces, not including removing pieces from the car, was 300 for fabric that was similar to oem and 900 for alcantara. I went with oem. It looks miles better than the sun bleached original fabric and I dont have to worry about brushing all of the fabric in one direction lol. Im sure the alcantara would look nice and i think it feels better than the oem type stuff. You're gonna have to have it recovered, as regluing the original stuff doesn't last long and it wont look perfectly stock unless you buy a new oem headliner. I wouldnt worry about either option effecting value.
                            3 yards are needed for the headliner and pillars, if you’re careful with how you lay things out. When I did it a couple of years ago it was $140 per yard for genuine alcantara, so $420 total.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

So 3 yards is what you guys are buying? Are you guys using the foam backed Alcantara or is it better to use another one of the material specs? Or a mix of foam backed for the headliner and the thiner one for the A/B/C pillars??

Comment

Working...
                              X