No announcement yet.

BMW Performance Brembo 6-Piston BBK from the 135i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this isn't really a track discussion, but it is worth mentioning that moving the bias rearward is not a bad thing (to an extent). However it seems that a lot of these kits move the bias more towards the front which only reduce stopping distance all things equal. No doubt this was always designed as a street car and the biases indicate that.

Comment

So I did a bit of research about the ceramic pistons cracking and it seems like the StopTech piston rebuild kit has worked well for the 135i guys. Although I'm not sure I want to invest in doing a piston rebuild on brand new calipers. And aesthetically they look alright.

The Cayenne 18Z/345mm CSL front rotors + stock rears seem to be a much better option for brake bias though (1.29:1 to 1.27:1 stock F/R). Perhaps this warrants a new thread, but are there any DIYs for the 18Z? Lots of stuff for Audis but can't seem to find anything specifically for the e46 M3.
      2002 M3 Coupe 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by su45 View Post
        So I did a bit of research about the ceramic pistons cracking and it seems like the StopTech piston rebuild kit has worked well for the 135i guys. Although I'm not sure I want to invest in doing a piston rebuild on brand new calipers. And aesthetically they look alright.

The Cayenne 18Z/345mm CSL front rotors + stock rears seem to be a much better option for brake bias though (1.29:1 to 1.27:1 stock F/R). Perhaps this warrants a new thread, but are there any DIYs for the 18Z? Lots of stuff for Audis but can't seem to find anything specifically for the e46 M3.
        There was a fella on the old forum who was making a kit or it was in development, but he kinda went off grid a few years back about the same time most forums died down.

edit: p0lar was his user handle.
        Last edited by S14; 09-16-2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          For the bling, the 135i calipers are ugly.
          I disagree. I think they look tops. Much better than the Porsche calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
            They fit I guess. Their pistons apparently have heat issues because they’re ceramics. Start getting too much heat and they start to crack. Probably fine for street use, after all they were stock on street cars
            Lol they are pretty ugly. Shaped like Cayanne suv calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

There was a fella on the old forum who was making a kit or it was in development, but he kinda went off grid a few years back about the same time most forums died down.

edit: p0lar was his user handle.
              I remember reading that thread. I think the brake bais was pretty off for the 18Z calipers - although they look massive on our cars. If you want a giant caliper, you're better off using Audi B7 RS4/1st gen R8 / Lamborgini Gallardo which are 8-piston monsters. I have a set I was going to use on my Audi S3 but since sold that car - if anybody is interested PM me I've been meaning to sell them. I looked into using them on my e46m3 with OE e92m3 360mm rotors, the brake bias isn't awful, but the company that made an adapter went out of business. I went so far as to design my own bracket in Fusion360 and 3d printed to verify fitment using an old rotor off my e93m3 and it all bolted up and looked pretty good. I ended up not going that route because those rotors are heavy AF, the pads are super expensive (you need 4 pads per caliper), and the e92m3 rotors are only 30mm which is a bit on the thin side for those calipers - they work but Brembo's spec calls for a 34mm rotor. I thought about using Brembo 380mm rotors/hats but they're so expensive and it was getting pretty heavy front brake bias with those massive rotors.

Plus, as I said earlier, I also think the Aston Martin DB9/V8 Vantage/Audi 8P RS3 (flipped) setup is the way to go on our cars - they're affordable, look great, good brake bias and pads are cheap and easy to find.

I did take a few pictures when I was test fitting the Audi/Lambo calipers though... enjoy If anybody wants the Fusion360 files just hit me up.

The billet ones are caliper adapters for an Audi/VW 8V MBQ

e92m3 rotors, 3d printed adapters, and Audi B7 RS4 calipers

Using a 12mm spacer

Caliper dimensions
              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

^do those let you swap pads without removing the caliper? Can't tell if the bridge with the torx bolt is removable or not from the pic.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

^do those let you swap pads without removing the caliper? Can't tell if the bridge with the torx bolt is removable or not from the pic.
                  Yeah, you can remove the pads through the top of the caliper.
                  E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                  Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Yeah, you can remove the pads through the top of the caliper.
                    Nice.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I would not pay $1700 for them.... if you are patient and look for deals, you can pick up 6 piston 380mm rotor stoptech BBK for a little more than that and its a true BBK. I think I ended up paying $4100 for my 6 piston 380mm / 4 piston 355mm setup, which is a really good deal.
                      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                        I would not pay $1700 for them.... if you are patient and look for deals, you can pick up 6 piston 380mm rotor stoptech BBK for a little more than that and its a true BBK. I think I ended up paying $4100 for my 6 piston 380mm / 4 piston 355mm setup, which is a really good deal.
                        This x1000

Comment

Having had stoptechs, brembos, and 996 brakes... stoptechs are junk compared to the other two. Rotors wear out absurdly faster than brembo, caliper finish is weak compared to brembo, the seals wear out way more quickly, and the 6 piston setups have dangerous amounts of knock back. I will never buy another stoptech bbk.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Having had stoptechs, brembos, and 996 brakes... stoptechs are junk compared to the other two. Rotors wear out absurdly faster than brembo, caliper finish is weak compared to brembo, the seals wear out way more quickly, and the 6 piston setups have dangerous amounts of knock back. I will never buy another stoptech bbk.
                            Concur the stoptech rings are trash. And nobody else makes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No issues with knock back here. And I’m running the bigger 380mm rotor. You get what you pay for.... you can always drop 10k on a set of brembos if you want top notch quality. I’m not gonna spend that kinda money
                              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

You can now get optional AKB (anti knock-back) springs for Stoptech pistons. I remember their old calipers never included them so knock-back was an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X