No announcement yet.

Cluster Display project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sensor‘s like the intelligent Oil pressure/temp, diff temp sensor etc I would supply one or share the Part number that you can order it yourself.
    I can source a solenoid (best way, because I can test the scaling) or you use your existing setup if you have a datasheet (with accurate information in it) for the sensor.

Beside Canbus, K-line values and intelligent oil sensor, the controller can handle up to 8 Analog inputs. All of them are 0-5V inputs. 4 of them can be used 2 Pin sensors to measure resistance (NTC/PTC like oil temp sensor).
    But I don’t how far that huge amount of input makes sense on such a small display.

To switch pages, the display looks on the Can bus and waits for the conditions to match (Cruise control=off & Cruise control Button“+“ = is pressed). If the conditions match, the display switches to the next page. If you turn the car off and on later again it will go to the page that you had last time active (after a short splash screen). With CSL steering wheel you can switch to Z4 column cruise control to get the buttons and cruise control.
    Other way to switch pages would be using one of the analog Inputs with a normal switch. E38/39 right wiper stalk have a additional Button like BC Button on the left, which is perfect for this.
    Last edited by S54B32; 02-20-2021, 01:49 AM.
    …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
      For sensor‘s like the intelligent Oil pressure/temp, diff temp sensor etc I would supply one or share the Part number that you can order it yourself.
      I can source a solenoid (best way, because I can test the scaling) or you use your existing setup if you have a datasheet (with accurate information in it) for the sensor.

Beside Canbus, K-line values and intelligent oil sensor, the controller can handle up to 8 Analog inputs. All of them are 0-5V inputs. 4 of them can be used 2 Pin sensors to measure resistance (NTC/PTC like oil temp sensor).
      But I don’t how far that huge amount of input makes sense on such a small display.

To switch pages, the display looks on the Can bus and waits for the conditions to match (Cruise control=off & Cruise control Button“+“ = is pressed). If the conditions match, the display switches to the next page. If you turn the car off and on later again it will go to the page that you had last time active (after a short splash screen). With CSL steering wheel you can switch to Z4 column cruise control to get the buttons and cruise control.
      Other way to switch pages would be using one of the analog Inputs with a normal switch. E38/39 right wiper stalk have a additional Button like BC Button on the left, which is perfect for this.
      Interesting. I just realised your MFS switching method would double up with anyone that has MSSMapper and multiple tune files so the other switching methods are definitely important to understand for people in that situation not just people with a M-Track steering wheel

Comment

Yes, in case of multi mapped ECU with MSS Mapper it would be better to use the E39 wiper stalk. The stalk is easy to install. For me personally i find it better to have a dedicated button only for the display. Also it responses a bit faster than from MFS button when you are on a page with K-line values. Because K-line is a very very slow protocol, and that slows down the rest a bit.
        Attached Files
        …under construction.

Comment

So if you have the E39 stalk you can set it up to look for the press of the stalk "sports" button instead of the cruise control buttons then eliminating any overlap with MSSMapper? Also with your additional sensors like the oil temp or diff temp. When they go through your adapter are you sending them down the CANBus to get to your screen? If you are is it possible for dataloggers like RaceCapture, that are listening on the CANBus, to pull that data for logging as well?

Comment

In e30/38 the „S“ Button is for intense wash for windshield.
            This button is hardwired, so no present on can and must be wired direct to cluster display (1pin).

All additional sensors go to analog inputs of the display.
            They are not streamed back to can, but a can controller is present. So it would be possible to programming this. Maybe even more interesting are streaming K-line values back to can bus like gearbox oiltemp from smg.
            …under construction.

Comment

As my car is road legal again since 01.04. I made a few drives, until today winter came back to germany. So car is back in the garage for the next 14 days.

But beside of some minor tweakings (layout, fonts, values), I’m finished with this project so far. Maybe will add or change some of the displayed values, if I miss something while driving. But time will tell. Only one thing, that is a compromise I have to live with, is that the orange foil make the display a bit hard to read with sunlight, but a pleasure in the night. Only other solution is to live with a white screen (no foil) instead of orange/amber.

Added a few pictures of my current setup...
              -Innovate LC-2
              -Oil pressure/temp sensor (fits OEM position, no tapping required)
              -reused SMG oiltempsensor for gearbox temp
              -Diff oil temp sensor in drain plug hole

Btw. I have with the oem oil sensor (original bmw but around 10 years old) in the pan in some temp areas up to 15-20°C difference in readings. (The sensor I use with the display is very accurate and has a self diagnostic)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by S54B32; 04-06-2021, 09:53 AM.
              …under construction.

Comment

As my car is road legal again since 01.04. I made a few drives, until today winter came back to germany. So car is back in the garage for the next 14 days.

But beside of some minor tweakings (layout, fonts, values), I’m finished with this project so far. Maybe will add or change some of the displayed values, if I miss something while driving. But time will tell. Only one thing, that is a compromise I have to live with, is that the orange foil make the display a bit hard to read with sunlight, but a pleasure in the night. Only other solution is to live with a white screen (no foil) instead of orange/amber.

Added a few pictures of my current setup...
                -Innovate LC-2
                -Oil pressure/temp sensor (fits OEM position, no tapping required)
                -reused SMG oiltempsensor for gearbox temp
                -Diff oil temp sensor in drain plug hole

Btw. I have with the oem oil sensor (original bmw but around 10 years old) in the pan in some temp areas up to 15-20°C difference in readings. (The sensor I use with the display is very accurate and has a self diagnostic)
                Great updates! Any insight on using the SMG oil temp sensor for gearbox temp? Not sure this is shared over CAN or D/K bus? Would love to add this to my AIM MXG display.

Comment

Originally posted by nickpiper12 View Post

Great updates! Any insight on using the SMG oil temp sensor for gearbox temp? Not sure this is shared over CAN or D/K bus? Would love to add this to my AIM MXG display.
                  If you have converted to manual, you need to wire it like every other temp sensor to an analog input.

if you still have SMG with standalone dash you need to capture the data from K-Line.

Or use a „converter“-Modul that frequently capture the data from K-line and stream it to canbus. So that a Can standalone dash can use it.
                  …under construction.

Comment

If you have converted to manual, you need to wire it like every other temp sensor to an analog input.

if you still have SMG with standalone dash you need to capture the data from K-Line.

Or use a „converter“-Modul that frequently capture the data from K-line and stream it to canbus. So that a Can standalone dash can use it.
                    Yes, car is original SMG and still have - I have a converter module to capture from K-line and rebroadcast on CAN for my AIM to pick up.

Do you have the K-line ID/address for this? Would love to add. Thanks!

Comment

Yes, car is original SMG and still have - I have a converter module to capture from K-line and rebroadcast on CAN for my AIM to pick up.

Do you have a link or any info / guide on the Converter module to get K-Line data rebroadcast on CANbus? I'd love to get it on to the CANbus and then pull it up on my RaceCapture. Do you know the CAN addresses of stuff when its rebroadcast?

Comment

No sorry, there was no need for me. I saw it only while doing research for other values.

btw. The cluster display could be also set up to work as a gateway (with or w/o the display) between Kline and Can. I use this while testing in my e91.
                        Last edited by S54B32; 06-08-2021, 11:10 PM.
                        …under construction.

Comment

No sorry, there was no need for me. I saw it only while doing research for other values.
                          Oh, maybe I misunderstood you when you mentioned rebroadcasting the ID to CAN from K-line. You must have it wired via analog input.

Comment

Oh, maybe I misunderstood you when you mentioned rebroadcasting the ID to CAN from K-line. You must have it wired via analog input.
                            As I said, if you have SMG: temperature is accessible via K-line from SMG-Control Unit.

And if you have a 6MT car with a gearbox that was PREVIOUS a SMG gearbox but now is 6MT: you have to wire the temp sensor to analog input of your display.
                            …under construction.

Comment

As I said, if you have SMG: temperature is accessible via K-line from SMG-Control Unit.

And if you have a 6MT car with a gearbox that was PREVIOUS a SMG gearbox but now is 6MT: you have to wire the temp sensor to analog input of your display.
                              Thanks for clarifying. My original understanding was correct then.

Do you mind sharing the request message/scaler for temperature then? I understand if you would prefer not to.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. My original understanding was correct then.

Do you mind sharing the request message/scaler for temperature then? I understand if you would prefer not to.
                                Sorry I don‘t have it. As is said there was no need for me because I deleted the SMG from my car.
                                i only do research for specific IDs when I need them or when someone want these in cluster-display. Otherwise you would never find a end with thousands of values/functions in all the control units.
                                …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                                X