Cluster Display project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Someone else asked me also for a OEM style version gear indicator for 7 gears DCT. Here is how it came out. Not final, but ok for now.
    Was that Paris? He and I have been in touch throughout his DCT project. That looks fantastic, is the temp display transmission temp?
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Someone else asked me also for a OEM style version gear indicator for 7 gears DCT. Here is how it came out. Not final, but ok for now.
      is there a way to fake the gear indicator for 6MT cars by doing a look up on the speed and rpm together and displaying the gear number we know is correct for that speed/rpm combo based on the stock 3.62 diff ratio?

Comment

That looks very similar to the photo I sent Paris last week lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	70569

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Was that Paris? He and I have been in touch throughout his DCT project. That looks fantastic, is the temp display transmission temp?
          Yes, that was paris and yes this is DCT temp.

nextelbuddy Its more complicated than you think, there are several "abnormal" situations like wheelslipping, disengaged clutch, revmatching etc. But if the hardware and programming is finished, i will look into it.

Martyn indeed very similar, Paris send me a paint drawing as template and this specific DCT page is made for him.
          …under construction.

Comment

I loved what you did to oem cluster .
            Super like and I sent you DM

Comment

Update: The Version without K-Line (Canbus and Analog) is finished!

But the "end goal" is a version with all three together. So that the display is possible to collect values from analogsensors, from canbus and from K-line diagnostic port. Because of the huge amount of informations that normally only accessible with a laptop and Inpa or Testo. For me personally i do it only to get access to IAT, IGN angle and exhausttemp.

As its winter in germany and my daily/winter Touring is a LCI e9x it sadly does not support K-Line. So testing the version that support K-Line will take me more time and i can do it only in the garage at the moment.
              A user (paraklas) from e46fanatics needed a display for his GS7 (M4) DCT converted E46, so made him one in "near" OEM style. He posted many pictures in a thread from install over on fanatics, his DCT conversion thread is also worth a read!
              It came out pretty nice with the foil between screen and housing. ->see attached pictures below.

pictures are from:
              Paris

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	76858

The black box is a ISP programmer to reprogram the display without sending it back, because the HTG GCU documentation was not very accurate.

​​​
              Attached Files
              Last edited by S54B32; 01-03-2021, 06:16 AM.
              …under construction.

Comment

Love it! Possible.to get this setup for my application which shows boost and afr? If so how much?

Comment

Sure that’s possible, I will drop you a pm.
                  …under construction.

Comment

another idea I was wondering about....

Terraphantm was able to implement a really cool shift light feature with the OEM LEDs in the cluster for Obioban.... when its ready to shift, it lights up all of the LEDs and flashes them on and off. i was really hoping there would be a DIY for this sometime in the future but sadly i dont think thats going to happen.

i'm curious if there is the ability for the OLED display to flash when its ready to shift as in flash the entire panel so you dont have to look down at it but you see the flashing happening in our peripheral vision while driving.

Comment

Theoretically it‘s possible. But the oled is not that crazy bright I think, that you will see it like the shiftlights in the peripheral vision when driving when daylight is outside.

i would make more sense to trigger/flash the shiftlights in the cluster over a can message send out from display controller. I can try that, and see if it works.

I found the page for AFR a bit boring, so I tested for sensor values like AFR a kind of moving graph. So the graph will move every half second one pixel / line further. Maybe I add a line at AFR 13.0 or 14.7 for better reading where AFR was.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by S54B32; 01-05-2021, 01:41 AM.
                      …under construction.

Comment

Checking in for any updates.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
                          another idea I was wondering about....

Terraphantm was able to implement a really cool shift light feature with the OEM LEDs in the cluster for Obioban.... when its ready to shift, it lights up all of the LEDs and flashes them on and off. i was really hoping there would be a DIY for this sometime in the future but sadly i dont think thats going to happen.

i'm curious if there is the ability for the OLED display to flash when its ready to shift as in flash the entire panel so you dont have to look down at it but you see the flashing happening in our peripheral vision while driving.
                          I think he's still planning to release a tool to add that to people's ECU's for free, but has just been busy.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post
                            Checking in for any updates.

Can and analog version is finished. Analog Sensor values, gear display, moving graph for AFR or other, startup logo etc. Have sourced some sensors, that working good and not to expensive for gearbox temp & diff temp and Oilpressure&temp in one plug for the blind plug in the Oil filter housing.

Kline version is running on bench fine, but I can not test it in (moving) car until 1. April, because of seasonal license plates.
                            Also new updated PCB is currently in production. These should arrive in a week or so. Theoretically the cluster display is finished at this moment. But as I said, not „field-proven“ at this time.

As I think this „project“ has a whole lot more potential for further possibilities, but I’m very limited to the small screen size in the cluster (and I want to keep it simple with the cluster display in terms of simple using).
                            I’m doing at the same time a kind of „Bordcomputer“ for E30 with s54 swap for a friend that replaces the factory BC. With 2.8“ touch, added functions for fault memory read/delete, adaption resetting, G sensor, time stopping, sensors displaying, etc.
                            …under construction.

Comment

This looks like a far more OEM looking integration of the semi-similar product AirVent (http://www.airventdisplay.no/en/) also developed by a community member just a Cutter (https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...5#post-2807314) price-point for these always seems to have been a sticking point... at least for me

Comment

if we wanted a setup that showed not only K-line data but also Boost and AFR.. do you supply the boost Pressure solenoid? or would it work with the current one I have that came with my Zada tech one? how many signal inputs does your box handle? the one from Zada tech for me only has 2 because thats all i requested at the time (i guess zada custom makes each box for the specific application at order time) I assume as long as the manufacture of the AFR sensor (innovate LC-2 in my case) supplies the voltage scale, then you can scale your box to handle the input properly?

also for M track mode steering wheels that only have one button, i assume we would need to wire up a separate button to handle the switching between display modes, how does your box receive the signal to change displays, is it via CAN programmed to an existing button or direct wire to a totally separate switch/button

Comment

Working...
                                X