Supersprint (sport) muffler adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersprint (sport) muffler adjustment

The drivers side exhaust tips stick out more than the passenger side, and have been for over a year. I had the car up in the air to put new brakes on and figured I'd fiddle with it. I took the hangers off and tried to find some adjustment but didn't see anything. All of the holes in the mounts that bolt to the muffler are offset towards the front of the car. I tried to flip the rubber mount insert to push the tips farther out, but that was really going to be bound up so I flipped it back.

I see the vertical adjustment in the mounting brackets, but I don't see anything that adjusts "in" vs "out." Do I just need to start bending brackets?

Can you take a picture of the muffler from above the diffuser and directly on the passenger side exhaust mount? It could be the muffler is pulling the exhaust mounts towards the center of the muffler and messing with the alignment. Some longer bolts and washer could help center the muffler and relieve stress on the rubber mounts. The only other adjustment is in the section 2, which has a slotted bracket.

Comment

see how the horsies show on the driver side but not on passenger?
      the mount is from the passenger side, you can see that the bolt hole is "offset" towards the front of the car. I tried flipping that around so that it was offset towards the rear to get the tips to stick out evenly, thinking I may have installed it backwards. But when I did that I was really going to have to pry on the muffler to get the bracket over the threaded bolts. The muffler is also uncomfortably close to the heat shield for the fuel tank, making me think this is the side that needs to be pulled out rather than the drivers side pushed in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	58196 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	58197

Comment

What midpipe setup do you have?

Comment

Spin the mount the other way
          2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
          2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
          2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

So it's been like this over a year... Meaning you remember when the muffler was on straight? Do you remember what adjustments were made between the time it was fine and when it started to show misalignment?

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't look like the hanger is pulled much toward the center, so it looks good there. How old are the rubber hangers? My buddy had euro headers/cats, SS resonated x-pipe, and SS Race and it looked similar to this. Either the section 2 is throwing the alignment or the bracket on the muffler is a bit off.
              Last edited by Slideways; 09-26-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

The angle of the muffler gets locked in when you tighten down the connection to section 2. I would start over with that connection

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                  Yeah, it doesn't look like the hanger is pulled much toward the center, so it looks good there. How old are the rubber hangers? My buddy had euro headers/cats, SS resonated x-pipe, and SS Race and it looked similar to this. Either the section 2 is throwing the alignment or the bracket on the muffler is a bit off.
                  All new rubber hangers.

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
                  The angle of the muffler gets locked in when you tighten down the connection to section 2. I would start over with that connection
                  hadn't thought of that. you mean the connection where the exhaust pipes join to sect 2/3?

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

All new rubber hangers.

hadn't thought of that. you mean the connection where the exhaust pipes join to sect 2/3?
                    Right I think the outer pipe can telescope, effectively making the muffler pivot around the inner connection

Comment

I saw that when I was under there poking around, but I think those are "crush" type ring gaskets? I can try to fiddle with it, but it seems like a likely source of an exhaust leak if I try to adjust the ~1'' imbalance from there?

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post
                        I saw that when I was under there poking around, but I think those are "crush" type ring gaskets? I can try to fiddle with it, but it seems like a likely source of an exhaust leak if I try to adjust the ~1'' imbalance from there?
                        You’ll likely need new gaskets if you adjust there

Comment

Working...
                        X