No announcement yet.

What is the best radio ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if you decide to upgrade with BavSound and/or amps, you’ll be happier than happy with those creature comforts... jussayin... My car isn’t modded to hell (just a couple tunes) and it’s the 4th car (beach car for the beach home, sort of thing)... so the stereo is the best money I’ve spent on it quite honestly.

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 11-28-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post

I agree completely. The bluetooth is pretty terrible, but the corded carplay is clean. But even with the “dsp”, im not super impressed by the sound. It reminds me of the old ipod equalizer options. It does look nice though
      So I got the UDB DAC to work but t only works on downloaded songs through the onkyo app. Spotify and amazon "downloads" wont work unless you purchase the actual song and play through the onkyo app (which others have had success with on other units).
      So the unit can play through USB DAC but only through certain apps (which has been the case for these units for a while).
      There must be a way to enable this across the board. Maybe I'll check xda forums or something.
      Last edited by Icecream; 12-21-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I'm in the same boat currently with my E46 M3, not sure which direction to take in terms of stereo.

It's a 2003 M3 w/ Harmon Kardon upgrade so it has the GPS which is working great, no dead pixels. There is a problem when turning on the unit, the speakers make a very high frequency whine/scream, you can adjust it using the volume knob and the unit won't just turn off by pressing the power button, so I turn the volume down to 0. Anyway, I figure it's one of two things the way these cars were built, it's either the whole head unit, or it's the HK amp located in the trunk.

Anyone else have this problem? From the research there's a BM54 module that can be repaired but that's for non-HK units, which leads me to believe it's the amp itself or the head unit. Any guesses?

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
          I'm in the same boat currently with my E46 M3, not sure which direction to take in terms of stereo.

It's a 2003 M3 w/ Harmon Kardon upgrade so it has the GPS which is working great, no dead pixels. There is a problem when turning on the unit, the speakers make a very high frequency whine/scream, you can adjust it using the volume knob and the unit won't just turn off by pressing the power button, so I turn the volume down to 0. Anyway, I figure it's one of two things the way these cars were built, it's either the whole head unit, or it's the HK amp located in the trunk.

Anyone else have this problem? From the research there's a BM54 module that can be repaired but that's for non-HK units, which leads me to believe it's the amp itself or the head unit. Any guesses?
          I believe you do have a bm54. Mine had GPS with HK and had a bm54. There are 3 separate amps. The BM54, then that goes to another separate amp for the mids/tweeter and another small amp for the subs. The other two seem to be very robust, the BM54 not so much.

Comment

So what are you suggesting? Trying to find a replacement BM54 unit first?

From the research I did, the high frequency whine is caused by a falling BM54.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

So what are you suggesting? Trying to find a replacement BM54 unit first?

From the research I did, the high frequency whine is caused by a falling BM54.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
              Many people used to use these guys for repairs and upgrades.
              Last edited by oceansize; 12-21-2020, 05:19 PM.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Many people used to use these guys for repairs and upgrades.
                Found the answer. I'll be buying their amplifier/processor upgrade and doing some soldering apparently. Thanks for the help, looks like they have an updated one as of 2014, suppose to put out even more RMS than their previous version. The high frequency whine is caused by the processor going out, aka, the two amplifier chips on the BM54 unit. Not terribly difficult to diy, I'll make sure I get one started and sorted to add here.

Comment

///AVIN

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                    What we need is a well made head unit that looks stock, has an OLED display with a dark night theme, and has reliable/consistent wireless CarPlay. I would spend stupid amount of money for that product.

Every single option is a compromise in some way. AFAIK, none of them are OLED (which seems most beneficial in a car, where you want as little ambient light as possible).
                    Seriously. The headunit is the one part of my E46 that makes me want a newer car.

Currently running a Dynavin N7, and it works. It hasn't had any hiccups in a long time (probably not since the last firmware update). I wish it had wireless Carplay and better .mp3 management, and a darker screen would be a nice bonus.

For a while, it seemed like there was a new E46 headunit coming out every time you turned around. Doesn't seem to be much happening on that front lately.
                    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post

Seriously. The headunit is the one part of my E46 that makes me want a newer car.

Currently running a Dynavin N7, and it works. It hasn't had any hiccups in a long time (probably not since the last firmware update). I wish it had wireless Carplay and better .mp3 management, and a darker screen would be a nice bonus.

For a while, it seemed like there was a new E46 headunit coming out every time you turned around. Doesn't seem to be much happening on that front lately.
                      I run mine with screen black, so that never matters to me. Not just this car, every car. Last thing I want is a F!n TV screen looking at me 24/7. Are you running stock speakers, amps and sub or aftermarket? Real speakers really wakes up the sound system in these cars because the cars are so small. Amps and a sub, even BavSound, and you have the band or DJ in the car with you if you want. That's really what got me into Dynavin in the first place. Once I heard the difference with BavSound and the stock amp, it became really clear that was a 60% upgrade. A better head unit and 4way cabin amp got me that extra 40%, with stock stealth look and feel. Sure it cost a couple extra bucks but the tech in the head unit was 15year old and needed upgrading anyway. Now I have ZERO desire for a newer convertible -- Porsche, AMG, Bentley, none of them. I'm good.

My $.02.

maw
                      Last edited by maw1124; 01-19-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

As long as navigation isn't important to you and Bluetooth audio is, the bluebus works so good. I wish the newer BMW worked as well with bluetooth as the bluebus does. Car is instantly connected as soon as I turn the key.
                        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

I run mine with screen black, so that never matters to me. Not just this car, every car. Last thing I want is a F!n TV screen looking at me 24/7. Are you running stock speakers, amps and sub or aftermarket? Real speakers really wakes up the sound system in these cars because the cars are so small. Amps and a sub, even BavSound, and you have the band or DJ in the car with you if you want. That's really what got me into Dynavin in the first place. Once I heard the difference with BavSound and the stock amp, it became really clear that was a 60% upgrade. A better head unit and 4way cabin amp got me that extra 40%, with stock stealth look and feel. Sure it cost a couple extra bucks but the tech in the head unit was 15year old and needed upgrading anyway. Now I have ZERO desire for a newer convertible -- Porsche, AMG, Bentley, none of them. I'm good.

My $.02.

maw
                          I ran RCA and a turn on lead to the trunk when I installed the Dynavin, and I have aftermarket speakers and amp to install, but lack of sound quality isn't my complaint with the Dynavin or stock HU.
                          2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post

It isnt really a simple diy. It isnt super difficult, but you basically have to splice the amp into the amp wiring harness using the technic harness and the hi/lo-in/outs. The issue is a lack of rca outputs from the HU, assuming you stay with the factory HU. Ive attached a pic of my hackjob, which i do intend to fix lol. Youll need the wiring diagram that Ian posted on M3forums years ago. After that, its just chasing wires. Bit of a pain but worth the effort imo
                            Anyone have this wiring diagram from Ian on the old forums years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I remember when this thing was like $700 (I'm pretty sure it was that high at release). Can't really beat $299 plus tax (and accessories of course).
                              Nah the 4 was $450 at launch, I bought one the day they came out (had been waiting a while because they ran out of 3s). Of course, after major accessories (ibus and carplay adapters) and tax, indeed I paid $700 all in.

Hard to say no for $299, but the accessories are still where they slam ya .

Comment

Anyone have this wiring diagram from Ian on the old forums years ago?
                                I need to reformat it again, but...

Laid out as follows

(Pin location on connector) (wire color code) (function)

Radio Main Plug X18126 (quadloc)

Pin 1 blue/black - RH Rear loudspeaker +

Pin 5 brown/orange - RH rear loudspeaker -

Pin 2 black/red - RH front loudspeaker +

Pin 6 brown/orange - RH front loudspeaker -

Pin 3 yellow/red - LH front loudspeaker +

Pin 7 brown/orange - LH front loudspeaker -

Pin 4 yellow/black - LH Rear loudspeaker +

Pin 8 brown/orange - LH rear loudspeaker -

Pin 9 Wht/red/yellow - I-bus

Pin 10 Black - Telephone mute

Pin 11 white - Tel on

Pin 12 brown - Radio ground Ground point (gnd)

Pin 13 White - Antenna supply (remote)

Pin 14 Grey/Red - Nighttime illumination signal Light module

Pin 15 Vi/white - Terminal 30 Fuse F56 (+12v battery)

Pin 16 red/green - Voltage supply terminal R Unloader relay, terminal R (+12v ignition)

Radio Plug X13321 (white)

Pin 1 - Not used (line out, left)

Pin 3 - Not used (line out, GND)

Pin 7 - Not used (line out, right)

Pin 2 white/brown - Ground CD changer

Pin 8 white/blue - Positive left CD changer

Pin 9 white/red - Positive right CD changer

Pin 4 - Not used VCR Right, in)

Pin 5 - Not used VCR Left, in)

Pin 6 - Not used VCR GND, in)

Pin 10 - TV/Video module Right

Pin 11 Yellow - TV/Video module Left

Pin 12 Blue/yellow - TV/Video module Gnd

Radio Plug X13598 (black)

Pin 1 blue/brown - + Cassette/CD right On-board monitor

Pin 2 blue/brown - - Cassette/CD right On-board monitor

Pin 7 Yellow/black - + Cassette/CD left On-board monitor

Pin 8 yellow/brown - - Cassette/CD left On-board monitor

Pin 3 - AUX In left

Pin 4 - AUX In Right

Pin 10 - AUX In GND

Pin 5 Blue/yellow - Audio AF+ Navigation module

Pin 11 yellow - Audio AF- Navigation module

Pin 6 black - Telephone In +

Pin 12 yellow - Telephone In -

Pin 9 - Nav Bus

Amp Connector -- The Connector is laid out as follows

13_21 __ 34_42

12_20 __ 33_41

11_19 __ 32_40

10_18 __ 31_39

09_17 __ 30_38

08_16 __ 29_37

07_15 __ 28_36

06_14 __ 27_35

_ 05 _____ 26

_ 04 _____ 25

_ 03 _____ 24

_ 02 _____ 23

_ 01 _____ 22

Speakers

34 - yellow/brown - front left tweeter -

33 - yellow/red - front left tweeter +

39 - blue/white - front left mid-range -

40 - white - front left mid-range +

3 - blue/brown - front left woofer -

4 - blue/white - front left woofer +

12 - blue/brown - front right tweeter -

11 - blue/black - front right tweeter +

41 - blue/green - front right mid-range -

42 - green - front right mid-range +

22 - blue/brown - front right woofer -

23 - blue/red - front right woofer +

--

32 - yellow/brown - rear left tweeter -

31 - yellow/black - rear left tweeter +

1 - brown - rear left speaker -

2 - yellow - rear left speaker +

21 - blue/yellow - rear right tweeter -

13 - yellow - rear right tweeter +

24 - brown - Rear right speaker -

25 - blue - rear right speaker +

HU speaker out

9 - brown/orange - rear right - AF radio from HU

8 - blue/black - rear right + AF radio from HU

29 - brown/orange - rear left - AF radio from HU

37 - yellow/black - rear left + AF radio from HU

17 - brown/orange - front right - AF radio from HU

16 - black/red - front right + AF radio from HU

30 - brown/orange - front left - AF radio from HU

38 - yellow/red - front left + AF radio from HU

HK Amp

5 - red/green - terminal 30 from fuse F41

10 - white - antenna switching signal from HU

15 - yellow/black - from spatial sound button on dash

20 - black/white - speedometer output from instument cluseter control module

26 - brown - ground to chassis

HK amp to Sub

6 - green - + positive activation for subwoofer from HU

14 - blue/green - - negative activation for subwoofer to sub amp pin 6

7 - white - subwoofer switched to sub amp pin 2

19 - black/green - speedometer signal to sub pin 7

Subwoofer Amp --

6_7_8_9_10

1_2_3_4_5

1 - green - + positive activation from amp pin 6

6 - blue/green - - negative activation from apm pin 14

2 - white - subwoofer switched from amp pin 7

7 - black/green - Speedometer output from amp pin 19

4 - brown - ground to chassis

5 - red/green - Terminal 30; power from fuse F41

color codes:

braun BR = brown
                                blau BL = blue
                                rot RT = red
                                gelb GE = yellow
                                grau GR = gray
                                schwarz SW = black
                                weiss (wei� ) WS = white
                                grun GN = green
                                orange OR = orange
                                rosa RS = pink
                                violett VI = violet